Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Are you a Weeaboo?

#16 Post by Blue Lemma »

I just have to post this:

http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF071-Weeaboo.gif
(Comic okay, but site in general NSFW)

As for weeaboo-ness, it irritates me a bit when people who are not Japanese at all talk in anime Japanglish IRL, but I don't really care about the whole thing anyway :?
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#17 Post by OtomeWeekend »

This one here is actually targeted for yaoi fangirls but i do feel that its also targeted to weeaboos around.
http://snappedchopstick.deviantart.com/ ... u-15468936

I dunno if I'm a weeaboo, but all i know is... i don't speak in japanese to people who aren't japanese. The only people i speak japalog(japanese-tagalog) are co-filipinos living in japan now, one, cause it became a habit to speak in japanese for me and for them and two, because my stepdad is suspicious when we speak in other language =_=. And i hardly use japanese terms unless I dunno what the heck they are in english. Examples: Tsundere, yandere etc. or if they don't make sense in english: megane characters or glasses characters(now what? doesn't make sense).

Anyways, I've met many filipinos in japan who shamelessly deny they are filipinos just because they have permanent visa in japan and had a japanese passport(they still have filipino blood! D:< ) and seriously they piss me off! I hoped all this wannabes met real japanese people and learn that not all things in japan is nice(except for otome games and stuff!)try going to my school and you'll realize that you should start loving your country than actually crossing your fingers praying that one day, you'll become a japanese and look cool, japanese kids needs to attend a values education class... cause they don't know how to respect elders at all let alone stop cutting classes with shame!!

Ah, i end up ranting about the kids in my school instead @_@
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

PervertPrince
Regular

#18 Post by PervertPrince »

OtomeWeekend wrote:This one here is actually targeted for yaoi fangirls but i do feel that its also targeted to weeaboos around.
http://snappedchopstick.deviantart.com/ ... u-15468936
I remember reading this a while ago. I also like M/M stories but I agree with a lot of what that person wrote. Hell, I agreed with everything XD

Anywho, I remember I was called a weeaboo once and all I said was that I'd read the Naruto manga. A lot like the phrase 'otaku', many people just seem to think that 'weeaboo' means an anime and manga fan.
Eagles may soar in the clouds but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

kersplode
Regular
Projects: Keep On Creepin' On

#19 Post by kersplode »

ahh, I have a weeabooish friend! she keeps saying stuff is "kawaii" and "sugoi", she says she's super into vocaloid but hasn't even heard of matryoshka or panda hero, will only listen to english songs if they're from an amv, and, upon learning there was no japanese class this year, she said to the teacher: "iie nihonjin? you know, there isn't a japanese class?" and we just kind of facepalmed.
she thought it was pronounced "oh-hee-yo". "o-hee-yo gonzeemas". I tried to correct her, but she said that's the way she says it. when I started explaining how japanese is a phonetic language, she retorted something about how that's how she heard it in an anime and she was sure she hadn't heard wrong. I like her and all but... siiiigh?

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by DaFool »

gekiganwing wrote:About half of my hobbies are centered in eastern media... so I get depressed when I think that the glory days are over, and that western media has already won. This thought makes me feel like I've wasted the last decade or so of my life.
I've always thought that Japanese culture was the oriental equivalent of Celtic culture. So when influences combine (if you've listened to anything by KOKIA recently or watched some of the newer Ghibli films) it's like a match made in heaven.

With the rise of China we're going to be sure they'll be asserting their 'soft power' in the same way that Hollywood currently dominates western media (even though they are lacking in ideas that they have to 'adapt' stories from other sources). It's not an East vs West but mainstream East and mainstream West vs niche East/West cultures.

It just means that our tastes have had their hey-day and if we're genuine responsible consumers of culture (as opposed to just chasing fads), we'll follow through and keep up with the scene even if it goes niche.

For example, even though Japanese games are now only a tiny fraction of the console market, my PS3 games collection consists of mostly NIS America titles.

-----------

I think for any self-proclaimed weeaboo they just need to visit Japan as the place of Mecca at least once in their lifetime -- then they'll see it's not all that great. After visiting Osaka 3 years ago (not even Tokyo), I was already able to tell it was going to be expensive and hard to live there. Best place is to live in a cheap South-East Asian country closeby -- absorb the culture, but maintain a cheap lifestyle.

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#21 Post by Snow Blossom »

Uhh... does accidentally going "kyaa" when you trip or are startled make you a weeaboo? Because I do that... sometimes. I wonder if it counts if it's not on purpose... AAARGH it's purely unintentional D: But I'm not obsessed with Japanese culture, I think/hope. From the way weeaboos are described, I think it'd annoy the hell out of me if I actually met one (which is sad since I might be one ;__;). It sounds like they won't even have a proper conversation with you but will instead ramble about anime/manga in a mangled combination of Japanese and English.... Where did the term come from anyway?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#22 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I've meet a couple. One guy wore a Naruto headband to school, which is just sad. I don't think it's the fact they like such and such, or they do such and such, it's their inability to read social context and know when and where things are appropriate.

Celestie
Veteran

#23 Post by Celestie »

...is it bad that you are known in your grade as anime/manga lover and someone who constantly sketches in classes? That was what most yearbook comments about me sounded like. But...well, I couldn't live without sketching once in a while! And it's not like I try to teach my classmates about this. I mean, why should I if they clearly don't want to be concerned with such things?

I had such a phase when I was around 13-15, I was an annoying know-it-all about japan and anime/manga without really being informed about it, annoying my clearly uninterested friends about Japan and ...stuff. I really want to bash my head into everything solid I see now when I think back to those years.... Something similar happened to me last year, though. I was conceitedly proud of my English skills that I kinda insulted a friend in my group when we were in Japan about his bad English, it was meant as semi-serious joke, but I know I was a jerk nevertheless. After all, my English is nowhere near perfect or normal native skills. =_=

And now...I really wish to 'be more Japanese' (actually, just knowing more about Japan and learning the language finally), so that I can, say, contribute soemthing to the relations of the country I live in and Japan, no idea how yet, though. As for my ethical origins...am proud of that country, aside from its obvious flaws, just not as interested in it.

Though, I am in love with Japan, I am still proudly an Asian European. 8D

I love to ramble about anime/manga, and Japan, too, just...one has to choose whom to talk to about what. I have my friends I know I can talk anime/manga-ish to and those I know I better don't and do not. Yes, you learn from your weeaboo-ish past.
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#24 Post by KomiTsuku »

Even though I run anime conventions, learned Japanese, and read a fair bit of manga, I've never considered myself a weeaboo. Never even close. It's always been more about good stories and my heritage as an old school gamer more than an all-consuming otaku. My interests are so broad and diverse, it's hard to be overly fixated on one culture. Besides, my homeland is more than enough for me. XD I was a bit disillusioned during my two month stay, I'll also admit.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#25 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Snow Blossom wrote:Uhh... does accidentally going "kyaa" when you trip or are startled make you a weeaboo? Because I do that... sometimes. I wonder if it counts if it's not on purpose... AAARGH it's purely unintentional D: But I'm not obsessed with Japanese culture, I think/hope. From the way weeaboos are described, I think it'd annoy the hell out of me if I actually met one (which is sad since I might be one ;__;). It sounds like they won't even have a proper conversation with you but will instead ramble about anime/manga in a mangled combination of Japanese and English.... Where did the term come from anyway?
Note: I'm getting all this information from Know Your Meme.
The term 'weeaboo' was coined by Nicholas Gurewitch in a comic of his, which Blue Lemma linked to. For reference, here is the comic again.
Weeaboo didn't have a specific meaning (if it even had one at all), but it probably meant that something bad needed to be dealt with. In 2005, the term gained interest when 4chan word-filters replaced Wapanese (wanabe Japanese) with "Weeaboo." Since then, people have been using the word "weeaboo" more often.

For me, my personal definition of a weeaboo is someone who lives, breathes, eats, and dreams of Japanese anything. Japan is their life and center of the universe, and all conversations inevitably lead to something Japanese related. Any casual conversation will lead to Japan, for example:
Me: How was your weekend?
Weeaboo: I watched *insert name of anime* all day long yesterday! And man, it was so sugoi! *insert character name* was all like, "*insert quote*" and he kicked *insert villian name*'s butt and stuff and you should have seen it! And then it got kawaii when *insert character name* and *insert character name* started making out and I was all 'Kya!' about it. Nyah, I wish *insert character name* was my hasubando/waifu IRL..."
It a simple question about their weekend, and somehow it ends up with them taking about spouses ._. Trust me, this can actually happen if you have a genuine weeaboo on your hands. Aleema and Snow Blossom would not be weeaboos by my definition, because weeaboos will force their interests onto anyone they meet. I suppose I'll list symptoms of a weeaboo to clear up any confusions.
Someone could be a Weeaboo if...
  • they eat instant ramen everyday and call that Japanese food.
    their normal clothes look like Japanese school uniforms.
    they replace 'cute' with 'kawaii', 'cool' with 'sugoi', etc. in speech.
    every conversation leads to something Japanese related.
    they worship a 'Haruhi-sama' (from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) and are actually serious about it.
    they eat Pocky or other Japanese snack food often.
    they want to visit or live in Japan.
    they want to become a mangaka or animator.
    they proclaim a character to be their hasubando or waifu, and are actually serious about it.
    they constantly think of Japan.
    they refer to Japan as 'Nihon'.
    they integrate very clashing and often bright colors in an outfit.
    they wear cat ears.
    they spontaneously hug people for no reason or in situations where it is uncalled for.
    they claim to learn Japanese solely from watching anime.
    more than 85% (making up this number, may not be accurate) of the music they listen to is J-Pop, J-Rock, etc.
    they claim to know Japanese history by watching Sengoku Basara.
    they think Japan is superior to every other nation in the entire world.
This list comes from personal experience with weeaboos and from various other lists on the internet. If you or someone displays more than 5 of these symptoms at any time, get a reality check.
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#26 Post by LVUER »

All right, that means I'm not a Weeaboo since I only display about 4.5 of those symptoms ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#27 Post by HikkiPanda »

I don't know if I'm a weaboo or not, but I know that being myself is the best !
Aleema wrote:
HikkiPanda wrote:
Rewritten Ennui wrote:So to put simply, a weeaboo is someone who is overly zealous about anything Japanese and tries to become Japanese, totally disregarding their own native culture.
well, if your country is so messed up, sometimes it's better to disregard it completely and try to become a japanese instead ^^
http://www.cracked.com/article_19363_6- ... k-out.html
i'm talking about the culture, not about the moving abroad ^^

sorry for the misunderstanding, english is not my native language :P
Last edited by HikkiPanda on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#28 Post by SilverxBlue »

*Breathes a sigh of relief* So I am definitely not a weeaboo since I only have three of those symptoms. (Might be two, since It's not my fault I love Pocky and Meiji chocolates so much. I like them for their taste, not because they came from Japan. =))
And besides, I think what spawned my interest on the Japanese culture/language/whatever was the games that never saw the light of localization. :)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#29 Post by LVUER »

I love pocky... if only they are not so freaking expensive (T__T) and I love pocky not because it's from Japan... or because a certain character from a certain anime/manga always eats pocky... but because pocky is delicious! Believe it! Ooops...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#30 Post by Snow Blossom »

Pheeew...!!! I only have 2.5 of those symptoms... and the only reason I hug people so much is... well... because I always have XD Pocky is eeehh for me, but Japanese mochi is absolutely heavenly~ *A*