Video games recommendations?

For the rest of your otaku life.
ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

Video games recommendations?

#1 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

Right, I have some money that I want to spend it on a video game platform and I'm thinking of buying a PSP when I heard about P3P and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep. But what I just realized about is that I'm not sure whether if they're already released to my country Malaysia or if they're in English.
Soooooo could anyone suggest me any games that are in English and available in Malaysia and tell me more about P3P and KH Birth By Sleep? Any games of any kinds of platform will be fine which are similar to Kingdom Hearts, Persona 3/4 and other RPG fantasy games
Help pleeeease and I'll definitely appreciate it~ :)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: Video games recommendations?

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

I don't know about Malaysia in particular, but you might want to wait for the upcoming Fate/Extra which will be available in English and seems to be quite similar to P3P as far as gameplay is concerned. There's also the remake of Persona as well as Persona 2, which are both available in English for the PSP. I'd say that FF VII: Crisis Core is actually pretty similar to Birth by Sleep, but with more of a heavy cyberpunk theme and just a dash of fantasy. It's pretty short by rpg standards at about 12 hours, but also pretty epic. Ys 7 is also available in English and is a realtime action-oriented rpg with a good story like Birth by Sleep.

If you like traditional fantasy rpgs, you might want to check out the Legend of Heroes series on the PSP as well as Brave Story: New Traveler (an old psp gem), Popolocrois (same as the first), and the Star Ocean remakes.

Here's a video of Ys 7. Epic boss fights with epic music!
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#3 Post by yummy »

I'd highly recommend the game The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (same game company as the game Cloudie recommended).

This is a great RPG, with emblematic characters, an awesome story and one of the best combat system, half tactical (something close to Treasure Hunter G) and half Final Fantasy like (with limit breaks, materia-like evolution system).
Also, it has one of the best BGM I ever heard. It's also getting an anime adaptation soon :)

Beh I only noticed Cloudie had already talked about it. I should learn how to read sometimes :(

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Sony currently sells its PSP in Malaysia. Its official site is http://www.sony.com.my/productcategory/gam-psp The most recent model sells for RM 699.00, the equivalent of about $233 US.

As of this writing, a new PSP system in the US will cost about $130. Some retailers may ship it internationally, so be sure to check shipping policies, and ask if you have questions. If you have access to online auctions, find a vendor who will ship the system to your country without charging excess fees. A used PSP system might have some wear and tear, but it will be less expensive.

Just about every PSP game sold on discs (UMDs) is region free. So you should have no difficulty playing games from US/Canada, UK, Japan, Korea, etc.

...As for games, I'm a fan of the following...

* Lumines, a block-based puzzle game. It emphasizes timing, and has rather good music. You can find Lumines on some other consoles, but it's an excellent portable game, and the PSP version has good controls.

* Harvest Moon Boy and Girl. My favorite from the series.

* Half Minute Hero. Humorous game featuring a "hyperspeed" RPG and three other games.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

qoivf

#5 Post by qoivf »

I am going to spit out titles for the XBOX 360 and PC that are not on your list.

Plants Vs. Zombies
Peggle
Heavy Weapon
Battlefield 1943
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Magicka
Bayonetta
Vanguish
Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection
Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 Box Set
Bionic Commando: Re-Armed
Resident Evil 5
Dead Rising 2
Borderlands
Mafia
Mafia II
Shadow Complex
Transformers: War For Cybertron
Torchlight
Dragon Age: Origins
Singularity
Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason
Metro 2033
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
Trine
Fat Princess
Monday Night Combat
Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Stacking
Costume Quest
Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice
Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Pac-Man Championship DX
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
Braid

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#6 Post by netravelr »

Persona 3/4 are the most amazing games ever. Don't play 4 until you finish 3 though cause while 3 is awesome, once you play 4 it's really hard to go back. As for the PSP I'd suggest... Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner (kinda like Pokemon), Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core, and... yeah P3P.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by TsukiShima »

Yoh hello fellow Malaysian!

Well, from what I have now, you should try to get Black Rock Shooter The Game, it's really cool and to me is considered as my Game of The Year. Other than that, right now I'm playing Fate/Extra, 30 Minutes Hero (it's true what geki said, it's really fast, yet challenging game)
Then, Final Fantasy Type-0, exclusive for PSP, if I am correct. Disgaea as well, it's quite fun.

Most of the game I recommended are Strategy based RPG games. P3P is also mostly about strategy, but it's very addictive because the game balanced the interaction of characters (VN style), school life, social links and battles. Due to P3 and P4 popularity, they made a remake of Persona and Persona 2, both available on PSP! They're planning to release P4 The Golden for PS Vita as well, yup.

But hey, shouldn't you wait until the PS Vita is release next year? There's a lot of PSP games being announced due to PS Vita. It's touch screen too, and the old PSP games can be played there. I say it's worth it.

Edit: Woah, how could I forget, I know you asked for RPG, but you should try getting Project DIVA 2 as well!

And if you don't know, you can just download PSP games, like most of us PSP gamers do. (yes, yes, I'm one of those proud PSP gamers.)
Last edited by TsukiShima on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

@qoivf:
Why PS3 and XBOX360? nero279 asked for PSP games...

My recommendation is:
1. Valkyria Chronicle 2 and 3

The only reason why I want to buy PSP. VC3 is more recommended than the former since it's back to its serious tone.

2. Patapon series

The trailer is Patapon 3. Each patapon plays a little bit differently so I say "Play them all!!!"

3. Final Fantasy Zero

It's FF, what else do you expect!? It's a must!!!

4. Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception and Ace Combat: Joint Assault

If you love dog-fighting arcade game, Ace Combat is a no-brainer title. Joint Assault (the trailer) is the latest Ace Combat for PSP.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW