Which anime do you like the most?

For the rest of your otaku life.
mapletaffy
Regular

Re: Which anime do you like the most?

#76 Post by mapletaffy »

Galaxy Angel (All seasons). . That's the only anime I liked the most because I can watch all the episodes randomly and that's the only anime DVD I've ever bought by myself. ^_^

Ishikatsu
Regular
Projects: Nemuri

#77 Post by Ishikatsu »

Well, my favourite anime are mostly on the quirky side of the spectrum :D
Which anime do I like the most? It's hard to tell, but Serial Experiments Lain definitely left a lasting impression on me. I remember thinking about it so much; well, not exactly about the story. More like about duality of human nature and technology's impact on relationships. Maybe I'm just weird :D Still can't tell if this show actually traumatized me or opened my eyes, but I loved every second of it. *inner masochist speaking*
Another highly memorable anime (at least for me) was Mononoke. Not Princess Mononoke; just Mononoke. To be completely honest, everything about it was so distinctly different I felt kinda apalled by it at first. Trippy art style alone was enough for me to fall into depression :D Luckily, I had nothing to do at that time and Mononoke's reviews were really positive, so I decided to give it a shot. After few minutes, I was completely overwhelmed by it's awesomeness. Art style suddenly looked so pretty and the stories... Well, they had souls, which is a rare phenomenon in the age of moe and ecchi.
As for comedy in anime, I am not a big fan of it. Japanese humor just can't seem to make the trick with me; aside from few exceptions. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Detroit Metal City, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, absolutely hilarious anime. I'll just leave it here. You have to see it with your own eyes to understand that magnificience. Description wouldn't do any justice in these cases :D
Last but not at least, Black Lagoon is the best anime of genre "girls with guns" for me. There is no story at all and action is downright ridiculous, but... Those characters are just so damn entertaining I'd gladly invite them to some beer :D
Fear cuts deeper than swords.

Heisenberg
Regular
Organization: Los Pollos Hermanos

#78 Post by Heisenberg »

There is a disturbing lack of Dragonball and Dragonball Z in this thread.
You think I'm in danger? Skyler, I am the danger.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#79 Post by TsukiShima »

^ DBZ will always be my all time favourite :'D My childhood was filled with Goku and the Saiyans.

Anyway, I wonder what's so interesting about Sword Art Online and Kuroko no Basket nowadays. I don't have the urge to watch them yet, though SAO is on the list since everyone saying it's pretty good.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#80 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Heisenberg wrote:There is a disturbing lack of Dragonball and Dragonball Z in this thread.
I never did like Dragonball Z. I guess because I don't like seemingly endless battles. My little brother used to watch Dragonball Z in the afternoons, and I'd occasionally watch an episode with him. I remember one that I watched had two characters fighting. I didn't watch another episode with him until the next week (they aired one episode a day). Those two characters were fighting on THAT episode.

Me: "Oh, are those two fighting again?"
Brother: "Nope. It's the same fight."
Me: "A rerun?"
Brother: "No."
Me: :shock: "There's been at least 4 episodes since the fight started?!"
Brother: "Yep."

It didn't help that I found the fights boring and cheap. He's won! No wait - the other guy had a more powerful form. And another one. And another one. And - oh, for the love of god . . . . .

I love Akira Toriyama and his designs, but I love story above all else, and Dragonball Z just doesn't do it for me. The basic premise sounds good - get all the mystic dragonballs and get a wish, but the execution bored me to death. But then I never have liked much shonen manga or anime.

Come to think of it, I don't watch a lot of anime series . . . I mainly just read manga and watch anime movies. :? That being said, I liked Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu quite a lot. Samurai Champloo and Trigun, too.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#81 Post by LVUER »

It's because the topic thread mentioned ANIME, not manga. Dragon Ball (and DBZ) is a great manga, definitely. But never a great anime. Why? Simple... FILLER.

The reason why the fighting can drag out for so long is because they have to wait for the manga or else the anime will catch up too soon. And that calls for filler. And so you get staring contest, panning, zooming, the daily life of Mr.X that I even forget he's exist, and all other filler technique that you can find in the book.

Of course, all that fights that spans more than several episodes in anime, is finished in several pages in the manga. And for that person who can transform over and over again... well, he's supposed to the big bad-ass boss (and boss MUST be able to transform). All big-bosses in DB universe can transform at least 3 times.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Heisenberg
Regular
Organization: Los Pollos Hermanos

#82 Post by Heisenberg »

LVUER wrote:It's because the topic thread mentioned ANIME, not manga. Dragon Ball (and DBZ) is a great manga, definitely. But never a great anime. Why? Simple... FILLER.

The reason why the fighting can drag out for so long is because they have to wait for the manga or else the anime will catch up too soon. And that calls for filler. And so you get staring contest, panning, zooming, the daily life of Mr.X that I even forget he's exist, and all other filler technique that you can find in the book.

Of course, all that fights that spans more than several episodes in anime, is finished in several pages in the manga. And for that person who can transform over and over again... well, he's supposed to the big bad-ass boss (and boss MUST be able to transform). All big-bosses in DB universe can transform at least 3 times.
DBZ filler was great, especially the episode where Goku and Piccollo learn to drive
You think I'm in danger? Skyler, I am the danger.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#83 Post by Sapphi »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: It didn't help that I found the fights boring and cheap. He's won! No wait - the other guy had a more powerful form. And another one. And another one. And - oh, for the love of god . . . . .
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed with this. I probably wouldn't have minded it as a kid... but I was a little too young to enjoy DBZ when it aired on Toonami without incurring the wrath of my mother (Kid on Kenshin: "Shut up!" My mom: "WHAT ARE WE WATCHINNNNNG?"), so I don't have that nostalgia factor to rely on.

I'm a pretty nervous person (of course you all have ascertained this already by my ridiculous posts) so I like things to HAPPEN in my entertainment. I don't like when shows draaaaaaaaaaag tiny bits of plotline out, especially to the point where you have to watch 4 episodes in a row to get your fix. I start to feel constricted, jittery, and like I need to go outside, get some fresh air, and walk around. This is not supposed to be how entertainment makes you feel, lol.

Speaking of draaaaaaaaaaaagging things out, the Black Jack TV anime is one of the most distasteful shows I have ever seen. Each episode is based on a 20-some page manga chapter with very little added in to flesh out the plot. To top that off, they inserted the most annoying version of Pinoko possible into EVERY PLOT. Then they defanged Black Jack's character something awful and gave him bizarrely unfitting Spanish guitar theme music. And perhaps purposefully, just to put the icing on the cake, the show has some of the flattest and most boring direction ever. There are a couple of shots that try to approach dramatic, but in light of everything else they just feel embarrassing.

I'm really not sure why everyone loves that show so much, but I suspect it has much to do with the majority of its viewers not being familiar with the source material.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Midi
Regular
Projects: Limerick Castle

#84 Post by Midi »

I like two,

Madoka Magica, and Magi the Magic Labyrinth.

Then I'm kinda stuck in the Hatoful Boyfriend fandom, but that's no anime.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#85 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

LVUER wrote:It's because the topic thread mentioned ANIME, not manga. Dragon Ball (and DBZ) is a great manga, definitely. But never a great anime. Why? Simple... FILLER.

The reason why the fighting can drag out for so long is because they have to wait for the manga or else the anime will catch up too soon. And that calls for filler.
Ah, yeah. That makes sense.

It's why the Negima anime wasn't so great (besides the cheap animation). I love the Negima manga, but the show was pretty bad. It didn't help that the manga didn't really hit its stride genre and story-wise until the third story arc, and most of the anime only deals with the first two arcs from the manga - then they rush to a very weird conclusion. (Ken Akamatsu wanted to make a shonen fighting manga after Love Hina, but his publisher's wanted him to replicate the harem romance of Love Hina again since it was such a massive success. So he started Negima out that way and stealth-shifted it into a fighting manga where the protagonist basically collects and uses the different girls like special attacks and summons. :lol: He also shifted the genre from firmly slapstick comedy to dramedy little by little.)

Oh, I almost forgot - more on thread topic - I really like the Azumanga Daioh anime. Watching it makes me feel like I've imbibed too much alcohol. :D

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#86 Post by LVUER »

Same here. I love both Azumanga Daioh manga and anime. Goes without saying, I also love Lucky Star (both manga and anime)... after all Kagami Hiiragi is my most favorite anime character. School Rumble is not bad (I haven't watch the anime though...)
if only the ending is even a half decent, sigh...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#87 Post by try10 »

Deadman Wonderland
Another
Mirai Nikki
No.6