Fate/Stay Night the...coffee shop!?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Voight-Kampff
Veteran

Fate/Stay Night the...coffee shop!?

#1 Post by Voight-Kampff »

http://kotaku.com/5855521/this-coffee-s ... /gallery/1

Wow. That's...a lot of FSN material shoved into a coffee shop alright.

I'm constantly amazed with the level of success/fandom that Type-Moon receives for its VNs. It gives me hope that there's a lot of people out there who are interested in complex, well-developed stories in their VNs, rather than, ahem, shall we say more trite and shallow attributes?

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

Re: Fate/Stay Night the...coffee shop!?

#2 Post by Desu_Cake »

Please excuse me I have a coffee shop to rob.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Hmmm... I want to spend some time there. Too bad there's no anything like that here... after all, anime is not very popular in my country.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#4 Post by Omnificent »

Desu_Cake wrote:Please excuse me I have a coffee shop to rob.
Rock-paper-scissors to see who gets Excalibur, Avalon and Kiritsugu's guns.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#5 Post by Desu_Cake »

Omnificent wrote:
Desu_Cake wrote:Please excuse me I have a coffee shop to rob.
Rock-paper-scissors to see who gets Excalibur, Avalon and Kiritsugu's guns.
Split the difference? I get Excalibur, you get Avalon and we take a gun each.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Riviera »

I just want Rin's jewelled dagger. I wonder if they have that there? Probably not. :(
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#7 Post by TsukiShima »

Some thing like this is already consider 'normal' for Japan, right now I'm really aiming for Madoka's and FSN's cafe. Though after this I'll try to hunt down for more Gilgamesh and Archer.

Just give me Gilgamesh's Gate of Babylon, and I'll have everything.

Meatpie
Regular
Projects: Dr. Book's Book Store ~ Episode 1 ~ Enigmatic Mind

#8 Post by Meatpie »

Voight-Kampff wrote:It gives me hope that there's a lot of people out there who are interested in complex, well-developed stories in their VNs, rather than, ahem, shall we say more trite and shallow attributes?
Voight-Kampff wrote: complex, well-developed stories in their VNs
Ahem?
The main character of Fate/Stay Night is a high school student with a traumatizing past, and he has a latent special ability.
Que him becoming embroiled in a certain occurrence he himself had no knowledge of.
The entirety of the female cast falls in love with him, despite him being, quite possibly, the second densest substance on earth.

I fail to see the complexity. Or well developed-ness for that matter.

You were pulling my leg right?

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#9 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Meatpie wrote:Ahem?
The main character of Fate/Stay Night is a high school student with a traumatizing past, and he has a latent special ability.
Que him becoming embroiled in a certain occurrence he himself had no knowledge of.
The entirety of the female cast falls in love with him, despite him being, quite possibly, the second densest substance on earth.

I fail to see the complexity. Or well developed-ness for that matter.
Okay. You've pointed out why Shirou is a poor character. This negates the complexity of the story somehow?

Crusher
Regular

#10 Post by Crusher »

Aw come on, I wouldn't call the story that complex either. It has a rich universe that I liked as well, but there's not much complexity about it. Even Tsukihime was more complex storywise in my opinion. Not that this is necessarily something to complain about, but there definitely are some poor decisions and apart from the unlimited bladeworks plot I wasn't very thrilled either. Or perhaps we just have a different understanding of the word 'complex' - because to me even a story with 1000 things happening doesn't have to be complex, it's more how those things are connected.
Looks very nice though!

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#11 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Crusher wrote:Aw come on, I wouldn't call the story that complex either. It has a rich universe that I liked as well, but there's not much complexity about it. Even Tsukihime was more complex storywise in my opinion. Not that this is necessarily something to complain about, but there definitely are some poor decisions and apart from the unlimited bladeworks plot I wasn't very thrilled either. Or perhaps we just have a different understanding of the word 'complex' - because to me even a story with 1000 things happening doesn't have to be complex, it's more how those things are connected.
Looks very nice though!
Complexity is a relative term.

Is FSN comparable to classic literary icons like the Iliad, or 1984? Of course not.

But when compared to the likes of Shuffle, which has an overarching plot of, "Meet a girl, flirt, get in her pants, experience a minor conflict, solve conflict by getting in her pants again. The End.", then I hold FSN to a much higher standard for visual novels.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Riviera »

Nasu's work in general seems almost more about world-building than the plotline at times.

However, that, in my opinion, is one of the unique and great parts of it. You get such a sense of a world going on around your character, and the plotlines themselves are not bad at all either!

Nasu handles some pretty twisted stuff in a... I don't know if the word I'm looking for is effective or impacting way, but it is definitely memorable.

I'm a horror fan and the Heaven's Feel route still managed to mess with my head a bit. :cry:

The protagonists are decent, but I think it's the other characters that really shine.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

Omnificent
Veteran

#13 Post by Omnificent »

While the world-building is amazing, I also love the characters. How Saber and Shirou develop across the routes is great (and Ilya and Kotomine, in HF). There are very few characters with no sympathetic development.

I'm also partial to the great shows of badassery, particularly from Lancer and Archer.

Speaking of Nasuverse, Fate/Zero. Anyone else following it this season?
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#14 Post by HikkiPanda »

I haven't play the VN but I did watch the anime ... . I don't like it at all but I forced myself to finish it because of the hype ... . in the end, let's just say that it's not my taste at all ^^; ... but FSN did has one cool moment though, I'm really surprised and amazed when it's revealed that the teacher is the one who do the fighting while his servant (caster) act as a support.
Omnificent wrote:Speaking of Nasuverse, Fate/Zero. Anyone else following it this season?
Yeah, it's totally awesome in every level lol! So far my most favorite pairs are Iskandar/Waver, I never bored watching their random banter XD. In the second place is Arturia/Iri, they look so good together ^^.

The other pairs are also amazing though, I can't find any annoying character in F/Z. Together with Mirai Nikki, F/Z is definitely my favorite anime this season :D

Omnificent
Veteran

#15 Post by Omnificent »

Yeah, those two are basically my bread and butter this season.

Fate/extra is also supposed to be pretty good. I haven't played it myself, but from what videos I've seen on Youtube Saber and Caster are both awesome.