Best non japanese cartoons?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Weakjounin
Veteran

Best non japanese cartoons?

#1 Post by Weakjounin »

Recently I watched a few non japanese cartoons and thought they weren't half bad. What do you think about non japanese cartoons and which ones do you like? (If you even like them)
(hehe watching mlp:fim and Wakfu)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Best non japanese cartoons?

#2 Post by LVUER »

Well, there are plenty of good non-Japanese cartoon ;) They're just different, not better/worse.

My favorites (non-anime):
Good animation quality, good art, good music, good everything really... They creatively mix real life kungfu/martial arts into fiction elements bending. The only disappointment is that they should make another book (season). It ends too fast IMO.

- Spongebob Squarepants.
Perhaps a guilty pleasure for lots of people. It's horrible and most of time doesn't make any sense... but it's funny.

- Shawn the Sheep.
This one isn't cartoon but rather stop-motion claynimation. But it's good, I absolutely like it. There's also Timmy Time which is more oriented toward younger audiences, but the quality is top notch.

- Hotwheels Battle Force 5.
Really, I never thought I'm going to like this one. This one is surprisingly not bad. I've watched lots of western computer animation and lots of previous Hotwheels animation too... and they are bad (usually, not all, but most of them, especially the Hotwheels animation). This one discards the toys concept for more realistic and entertaining story.
Last edited by LVUER on Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

I recently discovered and fell in love with Nu Pogodi.
It's pretty much the Russian equivalent of Tom and Jerry, except instead of a cat and mouse, it's about an adorable little boy rabbit in shorts and the comically egotistical wolf who is obsessed with catching (and eating) him for some inexplicable reason.

The only bad thing about this series is that there aren't enough episodes!
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Weakjounin
Veteran

#4 Post by Weakjounin »

I didn't mean to say they were worse
lol
The ones I like right now are
My little pony friendship is magic:
cause im totes gay. no, I just like it. Same for tons of guys. I like the art style it's clean and I'm a huge fan of puns as Tag had to endure the other day xD
Wakfu:
the art style and the action is fun to watch. :D also a great practice for my french.

I've seen Avatar and spongebob and I like both, but i never really tried Shawn the sheep. I never really liked stop motion
should I try giving hotwheels a chance?

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#5 Post by Mink »

I think so many people like MLP: FiM is because it's actually, you know, relatively good.

Anyway, my personal list:

-Young Justice, when I don't want to punch Artemis or Miss Martian
-Batman: TAS (okay, it's old, but I say it's classic and therefore counts)
-Superman: TAS (also classic)
-The Secret Saturdays (it was too good to last)
-Generator Rex
-Phineas and Ferb (one of few modern Disney shows that doesn't make me want to smash my head into a wall)
-Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Seriously, Ant/Giantman? SERIOUSLY??)

...Huh, I just noticed I watch more non-Japanese cartoons than Japanese ones. Used to be the opposite, when I was younger. Then again, when I was younger there was Toonami. RIP, Toonami.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#6 Post by Fawn »

I actually prefer a lot of non-japanese cartoons... A lot of animes these days are poorly made in a quick fashion solely for profit. That's why there's tons of them!
My little pony friendship is magic:
cause im totes gay.
That's kind of offensive, dude. A lot of people like MLP:FIM, gay or not- I know more straight men that like it than gay men. (My friend's boyfriend is a massive Fluttershy fan, and my boyfriend and I mutually love Pinkie Pie. Both straight couples.)

Adventure Time is one of my faves, it's pure random awesome. I've never been disappointed with an episode.

I second Avatar (It's called the Last Airbender Here) it's just amazing. I'd say it's better than most Japanese animes I've watched (besides Sailor Moon and Madoka Magica, though those just have a soft spot in my heart due to lots of cute magical girls).

Weakjounin
Veteran

#7 Post by Weakjounin »

Mink wrote:I think so many people like MLP: FiM is because it's actually, you know, relatively good.

Anyway, my personal list:

-Young Justice, when I don't want to punch Artemis or Miss Martian
-Batman: TAS (okay, it's old, but I say it's classic and therefore counts)
-Superman: TAS (also classic)
-The Secret Saturdays (it was too good to last)
-Generator Rex
-Phineas and Ferb (one of few modern Disney shows that doesn't make me want to smash my head into a wall)
-Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Seriously, Ant/Giantman? SERIOUSLY??)

...Huh, I just noticed I watch more non-Japanese cartoons than Japanese ones. Used to be the opposite, when I was younger. Then again, when I was younger there was Toonami. RIP, Toonami.
"Hello Megan" - most annoying phrase ever.
also is Ant/Giantman being a wife beater canon in the cartoon?

Seven
Regular

#8 Post by Seven »

I watch Blazing Teens , Phineas & Ferb , Monster Allergy and Dragon snooker . Not too bad but I personally like Japanese anime more. ^^

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#9 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

- Spongebob Squarepants
- El Tigre (Yeah, that's stuff is so nice for me)
- Penguins of Madagascar (You just don't know how I like Madagascar. You just don't know)
- Phineas and Ferb (not much, but I like it :3)
- X-Men (the old one, that animation that has colors so saturated it hurts. It's still nice though. Jubilee FTW.)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (<-- seriously. I'm looking forward on Legend of Korra XD)
- MLP: FiM (Not in TV but I only watch through Youtube)

But in non-TV western series, I watch Blockhead. It's so silly, it's funny. XD

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

Isn't "The Last Airbender" the subtitles for Avatar the Movie (that live action one)? While the animation series get "The Legend of Aang" subtitle. Hence the sequel get subtitle "The Legend of Korra".

Perhaps they change the subtitle in other countries?

EDIT: Yeah, I checked it again and they DO have different subtitles in different countries. Some countries even get "Avatar: The Bender of the Four Elements" title.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Weakjounin
Veteran

#11 Post by Weakjounin »

LVUER wrote:Isn't "The Last Airbender" the subtitles for Avatar the Movie (that live action one)? While the animation series get "The Legend of Aang" subtitle. Hence the sequel get subtitle "The Legend of Korra".

Perhaps they change the subtitle in other countries?
According to Wikipedia the 2 main ones were
and Avatar: The legend of Aang
in bulgaria it was known as Avatar: The Bender of the Four Elements
:D

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#12 Post by Mink »

Weakjounin wrote:"Hello Megan" - most annoying phrase ever.
also is Ant/Giantman being a wife beater canon in the cartoon?
Considering Avengers: EMH is a kids' show on Disney XD, I'm thinking no. And they're only dating in the version, rather than being actually married.

@Fawn: Most of the anime I've seen recently is only making me miss Satoshi Kon.

And is Madoka good? Like, actually good, and not just hyped. I haven't watched it, because something about that art style just...irks me.

Anyway, I know this show is from the 80s, but I'm adding The Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers, which was more or less was screwed because most of its fans were teens/adults, rather than small children who'd want toys. Most of what went on probably flew way over kids' heads, anyway. You know, like implicit mass genocide, slavery, that sort of thing.

On the other hand, you can watch it on Hulu. Well, you can watch it on Hulu if you're American.

*Website, yo*

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#13 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Batman - The Animated Series (Best cartoon ever made in my opinion. Hard to believe its been 20 years now.)
Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons
Batman Beyond (The opening credits are amazing.)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by CheeryMoya »

Mink wrote:And is Madoka good? Like, actually good, and not just hyped. I haven't watched it, because something about that art style just...irks me.
I knew a lot of spoilers about the show prior to watching it, so I don't think I was able to enjoy it as much as I should have. Still, it was a decent anime with an intriguing plot loaded with twists and surprises. Granted, there are plenty of quarity frames of animation, but it's not unpleasant to the eye.
If you like to see characters being mentally traumatized to hell and back, then Madoka Magica is just teeming with the stuff.
Back on topic: I liked Avatar too, but I'm not a huge fan of it. What I do like to watch with my little cousins are little kiddy educational shows like Nihao Kailan! and Wonder Pets. Please don't judge me my little cousins just love those shows and I think they're fun too aaarrrrrrrggghhhhh

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Mink »

Yeah, that sounds like my kind of show. 83
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Batman Beyond (The opening credits are amazing.)
^I was surprised when that show turned out to be good (I grew up on Batman: TAS, and was like, "WTF" when I first saw trailers for it). And man, Return of the Joker is daaark. /owns DVD

And because I'm nerdy enough, Return of the Joker quote:
Joker: What are you doing?!
Terry: Fighting dirty.
Joker: Batman would NEVER fight dirty!
Terry: Told you you didn't know me.

Oh, another show: Static Shock. Despite how it could get Anvilicious ("YOU AND YOUR STUPID RACISM!"), I still find it enjoyable.

*Website, yo*