R.I.P Bandai USA (Dubs)

For the rest of your otaku life.
applegirl
Veteran

R.I.P Bandai USA (Dubs)

#1 Post by applegirl »

R.I.P Bandai USA. Sad how a company can go under like that. I always enjoyed a lot of dubs and am saddened that this happened. Hopefully Funimation won't suffer the same fate...

Jeez.

Also, I realize people vary on the sub/dub debate. Whatever, I personally like both. If you have a preference, you could easily switch on the dvd. Unfortunately, this company going under means less anime released legally. :cry:

EDIT: lol, sorry for any misunderstanding.
Last edited by applegirl on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

Re: R.I.P Bandai

#2 Post by Fawn »

I despise the dub they did of K-ON. All the voices sound like the same 40 year old woman trying to do higher or lower pitches. Just... awful. (I've never watched a dub where they get the cute voices right, though...) Their dub of Haruhi was acceptable, but, still... bleh.

Anyways: is the entire company going down? Toy lines and all? That sucks. :(

J. Datie
Veteran

#3 Post by J. Datie »

From what I can tell from, uh, the Wikipedia article, the company going out of business is Bandai Entertainment, a division of Bandai Visual, a division of Bandai. Well, not even going out of business as much as
The Wikipedia article on Bandai Visual wrote:The company announced on January 2, 2012 that they will stop offering DVD, Blu-Ray disc and manga releases by February. Bandai Entertainment will be restructured to focus on licensing anime to other companies.
is what's happening.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Jeez, I panicked when I saw this thread title. But it seems to not be as bad as I thought... I hope.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Pugfarts
Regular
Projects: I Will Hold Your Hand

#5 Post by Pugfarts »

pah, they're just restructuring then. Don't spook us OP.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#6 Post by LVUER »

Bandai goes under? If that happens, that means Japan's toy industry is collapsing. It's impossible really, because Bandai is one of the biggest toy company in Japan.

Bandai also holds license for Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Gundam toys, which sells really well. So it's impossible for whole Bandai to go under.

That being said, which Bandai that goes R.I.P.? Bandai have tons of sub-company/division.

Restructuring according to Wikipedia? Saying R.I.P Bandai just because of that is really over-stretching.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OtomeWeekend »

The thread title almost gave me a heart attack! Good lord! D:<

Which is to say, um, do you mean the Bandai USA? Because I searched the japan's bandai site and only found the the release dates of gundam age :lol:

EDIT:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/strike_w/archives/1632984.html
According here, seems like it's confirmed that it's Bandai USA. ^^;
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

It's still a big issue. Anime is still expensive to create, and there are few outlets to sell them. Streaming pays peanuts compared to DVD sales.

Here's a big shocker. You know NoitaminA, that premier slot for better anime? They're going to show Flash anime this year. Yep, a Flash show. Look it up. Flash only costs $30,000 an episode compared to 120,000 for traditional.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#9 Post by HikkiPanda »

I'm not surprised about noitamina, lately they begin to show more and more standard anime genre (Black Rock Shooter, C Money possibility & Control) instead of showing a real noitamina anime. It shows that money has become a big problem for them ... .

Funnyguts
Veteran

#10 Post by Funnyguts »

^And then they're going to have a show about Roman baths. I still love NoitaminA, even if it gave us No. 6 and Guilty Crown.

Anyway, while streaming might not get you as much money as DVDs, you might as well go for presenting your media to an international audience using the internet. You might not make as much money in one country, but do it right and you'll make up for it through the rest of the world.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#11 Post by HikkiPanda »

I don't have a problem with standard anime on noitamina as long as it can help to keep the slot alive. I believe the slot will go down faster if they insist on showing noitamina genre only.

I never watch flash anime before, hopefully it will be interesting ^^

oh, and how about editing the thread title ^^; ?

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: R.I.P Bandai USA (Dubs)

#12 Post by sake-bento »

It's not just dubs, actually. They basically won't be releasing physical media anime at all. So even the sub only releases are gone.