Japanese Honorifics Question

For the rest of your otaku life.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Japanese Honorifics Question

#1 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Alright, I've gotten conflicting opinions from my proofreaders for Eternal Memories on the usage of these. I have little knowledge myself and I wasn't really able to figure it out from wikipedia...

The question is:
How would a teacher refer to a female student (a new one) that they aren't the most familiar with in high school?
Would it be Example-chan, Example-kun, or Example-san? Why?

Thanks for your time...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Keilis
Regular

Re: Japanese Honorifics Question

#2 Post by Keilis »

I'm pretty sure it's Last Name-san for any gender and regardless of how "close" you are. It's just sticking to professionalism. If you change honourifics from student to student, it'd probably be viewed as favouritism anyway.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I wasn't talking about closeness. I was wondering, because I think -chan and -kun are used if you're addressing a child, even if you aren't close. (That's the impression I have, at least.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#4 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I wasn't talking about closeness. I was wondering, because I think -chan and -kun are used if you're addressing a child, even if you aren't close. (That's the impression I have, at least.)
-chan and -kun express a level of familiarity that would be insulting to use for someone you just met. -chan shows affection, and -kun is a form of address used by someone of a senior status for someone of a lesser status. However, it is generally used only for males, and using it for a female expresses a high level of familiarity with that person. It is most often used when addressing male children or male teenagers.

I can't imagine a polite Japanese person would use anything other than -san when meeting someone for the first time like a new student.

And by "impression I have" it implies you don't know formal definitions or uses for honorifics, but have just picked up on their use through manga or anime, correct? You'd be better off not using honorifics at all if you can't use them correctly.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I see... Probably just going to use "-san" then. I've done a little bit or research, but I'm not native at all, so I know very little. ^_^;
I have no intention of misusing honorifics, which is why I'm looking for help. :)
Tsundere VN

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

redeyesblackpanda wrote:I see... Probably just going to use "-san" then. I've done a little bit or research, but I'm not native at all, so I know very little. ^_^;
I have no intention of misusing honorifics, which is why I'm looking for help. :)
From Del Rey, an explanation of honorifics in English:
Page 1
Page 2

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Thanks. ^_^
Oh, and
I loved Dragon Eye! Too bad the author stopped in the middle... :'( I hope he gets better...
The explanation of "-kun" is giving me a headache... It says it can be used on those "of lower station." That doesn't apply here? (mind spinning like mad)
Tsundere VN

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by OtomeWeekend »

^

-kun is for boys. Though here in our school only few people call the boys as -kun, usually they call them straightly like "Aihara" or directly in first name or nicknames, i.e; Eiichi, Mizuki etc. Of course, if you are the polite kind, you'll prefer to use honorifics(like me.lol).

As for the -kun for lower ranks, I don't know if it's still used now but as for our school, all the teachers call their students without honorifics, especially the male teachers. They do include -san in female names though(probably as for respect for female?)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Celianna
Veteran

#9 Post by Celianna »

@OtomeWeekend: funny, LateWhiteRabbit posts an image that says when they refer to those without honorifics, it's really intimate, and then you come by and say they mostly do just that. Haha.

I'll never get honorifics.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Celestie
Veteran

#10 Post by Celestie »

Our professors call us '-san' but then again, it's university and we learn the polite textbook-example Japanese, so...xD
*pending signature, as in, I don't have any if this signature doesn't allow any 100px high images TAT*

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Celianna wrote:@OtomeWeekend: funny, LateWhiteRabbit posts an image that says when they refer to those without honorifics, it's really intimate, and then you come by and say they mostly do just that. Haha.

I'll never get honorifics.
Funny yeah. I'm studying in a school where I'm the only foreigner. I've been rarely called with honorifics even with people from other class except for the male students or the 1st years. Does this mean I'm intimated with all the 2nd years? No. I'd get greeted by people I don't even know on the hallway with my first name, with no keigo(polite words) or any honorifics. It's still a tradition in Japan to use honorifics and it adds a flavor to characters and how close their relationships are if in the manga. Older people still uses politeness heavily like greeting people they don't even know etc. but modern people usually students these days already forgot that kind of tradition and pretty much adapts to the western ways. This though, works on same sex society. Usually, boys and girls still tend to call the opposite sex by their first names too BUT with -san/-kun(for same age). In formal occasions, they still use honorifics but for everyday life or schoolmates; confidently, no. Sometimes, students even call their teachers without any honorifics or -sensei, they even call them with nicknames and most of the time offensive namings.

Overall, just because it was traditional and was how Japan was known for; and is usually shown in mangas. It doesn't mean that realistically it still happens. There might come a time that in the near future, japanese won't even bother using honorifics anymore besides formal occasions or for respect for someone older/senpai.

Note: Um, perhaps this only happens here in Okayama and maybe honorifics are still heavily used on other regions but as far as I'm aware of, only few people ever use honorifics not because they are intimate but because they are either nearly the same age or they don't feel the need to use it at all(even to elders). Sorry for the long post. :)
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#12 Post by Joey »

When I went to Japan for an immersion program and studied in a middle school there the kids all seemed to do away with the honorifics too. Times are changing and they all wanna be like the West so I think stuff like sonkeigo might soon become obsolete :C But yeah as far as I remember teachers call female students by "-san" and don't bother with anything for the male students, lol.
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Ramidel
Regular

#13 Post by Ramidel »

"-kun" from a teacher to a female student is not unknown usage, albeit not strictly correct usage either. You (the OP) are the writer, so think of how the teacher would act; if the teacher is strictly formal, she might use -san for everyone. Using -kun for a new student indicates a classroom with a more relaxed, informal atmosphere. Anime tends to play fast and loose with honorifics and pronouns anyway, so the tone you want to set is more important than accuracy. (-chan is too informal, however, unless you're writing a comedy. Any teacher who habitually uses that honorific with her students had best be very sure of her job security.)

On the subject, I also have a question. Do people in Japan often switch honorifics for a person depending on situational context, or do they pick an honorific for a person and mostly use it in all circumstances?

Thelo
Regular

#14 Post by Thelo »

This is pretty interesting, and not what I expected. Thanks for the explanations!