Time and Eternity (PS3 JRPG w/ hand-drawn in-game animation)

For the rest of your otaku life.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Time and Eternity (PS3 JRPG w/ hand-drawn in-game animation)

#1 Post by DaFool »

One of the big early talking points for the game appears to be its animation system. The game uses hand drawn 2D animation for main characters and enemies during movement throughout the world and in battle. This isn't an approximation of hand drawn artwork using cell shading -- it's actual hand drawn art.
Reflinks:
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/18/ne ... en-kissed/
http://andriasang.com/comzoi/tokitowa_details/

I'm a sucker for moe so I'm expecting NIS America to pick this up, but their technical ambition is most intriguing here. I suppose in an economy where you can't sell 2 episodes of anime at $50 per DVD, you can then have an equivalent number of frames put into a video game and charge $60. Plus it's gameplay, so its more interactive.

[begin rant]
It's similar to instead of drawing lots of pictures but instead of putting them in a single volume of manga that lasts for 2 hours and no longer sells for $9.99, that same amount of pictures, when colored, can be used for multiple visual novels, each selling for $15 and with more than 2 hours playtime. Video games really are the more efficient medium.[end random rambling]

J. Datie
Veteran

Re: Time and Eternity (PS3 JRPG w/ hand-drawn in-game animat

#2 Post by J. Datie »

And some screenies. I'd be intrigued by the protagonist starting off already married, but I get the feeling that isn't going to stop it from becoming a generic moe-moe harem dating sim.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

So . . . a return to sprite work, in other words? Just in high definition. Animate each action, then variations of the in-an-outs to blend them however needed. I'm sure they're putting a lot of polish on it, but I don't see how this is new tech.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

Ah... a nice 2D art game in this overwhelming 3D era. A very rare gem (T^T) definitely play this one once it gets localized.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#5 Post by akizakura »

I know this is a late reply, but this game looks quite lovely. I'm definitely keeping my eye on it for the end result (and since some games I never thought would be licensed have been recently, I'm optimistic that we may get this one as well).

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#6 Post by sciencewarrior »

The most important tidbit:
Toki is voiced by Kana Hanazawa.
As you can hear from the trailer http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/25/ti ... in-action/

Y U NO PC?
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.