fischer22
Regular

Kickstarter J-RPG

#1 Post by fischer22 »

For those who might be interested... kinda like Final Fantasy! :D

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/146 ... ssic-desig

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

Re: Kickstarter J-RPG

#2 Post by sciencewarrior »

Looks great, but Windows-only. Give me Linux/Android and I'm all over it.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

LOL, they have a very interesting reward system for those who back more than $400. I see that this project already gathered (way) more money than its goal, meaning it should be seeing completion.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

fischer22
Regular

#4 Post by fischer22 »

@sciencewarrior
They (the developers) say that it works great on Linux using Wine! :)

And yeah, it will be seeing completion, and not so far in the future. It's a good chance to help devs make a good game, and at the same time get it for less $$$ than it will be later when it's released.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

It's a little weird to see, though, considering there are *tons* of such games in english already available using the exact same resounces (RPG Maker).

Which doesn't mean this won't be a fun game someday, it's possible that it might be. It's just that kickstarter is getting a little strange lately. Sometimes it feels like all those enthusiastic posts we sometimes see in the WIP forums, where someone who's never made a game and has no idea what they're doing comes in and posts a huge list of character descriptions and concepts and asks for a million people to sign on to work for them... only in this case, people are actually throwing money at them.

And more money than many cases of people who have actually completed games.

It's a bit disturbing.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

I predicted the Kickstarter situation 7 months ago!

Their game looks slightly more handpainted and detailed than the standard RPG Maker Game, I grant you that.

But I consider a 32-bit game one where there's 3D on top of handpainted backdrops, such as Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX, Chrono Cross, and Legend of Dragoon. It's precisely why I'm making my game using Ren'Py and using no tilesets... I want my game to be at least be one generation ahead.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

papillon wrote:It's a little weird to see, though, considering there are *tons* of such games in english already available using the exact same resounces (RPG Maker).

Which doesn't mean this won't be a fun game someday, it's possible that it might be. It's just that kickstarter is getting a little strange lately. Sometimes it feels like all those enthusiastic posts we sometimes see in the WIP forums, where someone who's never made a game and has no idea what they're doing comes in and posts a huge list of character descriptions and concepts and asks for a million people to sign on to work for them... only in this case, people are actually throwing money at them.

And more money than many cases of people who have actually completed games.

It's a bit disturbing.
I agree. What happens when some of these Kickstarter games fail to materialize? Or appear but are shoddy in quality? I predict there is going to be a massive blowback against Kickstarter sometime in the future, where unless you're a proven commodity you can't get funding.

Also, how many of these game projects are trading future profits for funding on the front end? This game may have only ever made $24K in sales, but know they have received it all upfront and everyone that could have wanted a copy already has one. And I didn't seem them addressing what they are going to do with the extra $14K over their goal. What is going to change or improve with the project - or is the team just going to pocket more money? The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter addressed this and got feedback from the contributors at each stage to see where the fans wanted the extra money to go.

The only thing I see different about this game than dozens of other RPG Maker projects is the pretty concept art. And if that doesn't appear in-game - who cares? It isn't like those characters walking around in the screenshots remotely look like the detailed concept art versions of themselves.

I'm like Papillon and DaFool. I'm disturbed by how much money people are willing to throw at projects that is not unique nor of much advanced quality over currently available FREE games.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#8 Post by jack_norton »

To be honest I'm shocked mostly by how many people are willing to blindly trust people with zero experience (not speaking in particular to this project, in general). One thing is Tim Schafer, but I've seen so many "projects" that could be better called "scams" :lol:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#9 Post by sciencewarrior »

I expect the frenzy to die down, but if a major blowback happens, it will be from some physical product, not from a game: I think the values involved are low enough (at least in the lower tiers) that people won't be upset if a project goes belly-up. Fifteen dollars? Twenty five? I blew much more money on big-name, boxed games that I found practically unplayable.

I wonder, though, how many creators will get burnt by Kickstarter: this post is particularly candid and illuminating. They underestimated their costs, spent money on things they didn't need at the moment, and ended up with 50k in debt despite raising 34k.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

sciencewarrior wrote:I expect the frenzy to die down, but if a major blowback happens, it will be from some physical product, not from a game: I think the values involved are low enough (at least in the lower tiers) that people won't be upset if a project goes belly-up. Fifteen dollars? Twenty five? I blew much more money on big-name, boxed games that I found practically unplayable.
For any single game - sure. What worries me is that it's possible that a large fraction of kickstarter projects will fail-after-money, which will tend to discredit the model. (This is especially true now, when several big successes seems to have attracted a lot of projects to kickstarter.)

The weirdest thing about Kickstarter is that early stage investors aren't rewarded with some ownership of the finished product. (Stock, or whatever.) It seems weird to take a big risk for a product that may never materialize. I've done it, but I feel weird about it.

Kickstarter is really neat for crowdfunding free projects that already exist - like taking a font and making it free if $x000 is raised.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

Perhaps Kickstarter like project should be divided into several phase using some kind of method like prototyping. So instead of asking a $10.000 once, a person/studio could ask like $200 several times, releasing a demo every time.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#12 Post by jack_norton »

Don't get me wrong I think the idea is awesome, and is mostly users fault. I mean, unless you know someone personally, how can you think to fund something just based on an "idea"? everyone has ideas, I have 10 a day, but then you have to turn them into a finished product!
I'd have no problem funding several people here, even people who just did freeware games as long as they have FINISHED PRODUCTS in their portfolio.

I even thought about using it myself (well, except for the fact that I'm not in US and I effectively CAN'T :() for some "risky" projects like a 3rd Vera Blanc game, or some other project that I wouldn't even think about starting without some "advance money".

So the idea isn't bad, and I think that probably what will happen next is that users will become more aware between the difference from "hey I have this idea of a super awesome 3d zombie MMORPG" and "hey I have actually finished a tower defense game with zombies". :lol:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#13 Post by HikkiPanda »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:What happens when some of these Kickstarter games fail to materialize?
Nothing happen, your cc will only be charged when the product is finished.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:appear but are shoddy in quality?
Now this is a problem .... I've read somewhere that there was a project about making beautiful jellyfish tanks. The project finished but some of the donators never receive the tank as promised, and those who received soon realize the horror that the tank has some dangerous mechanism which killed all jellyfishes inside. (off course the mechanism is not intended ... bad QC i guess)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#14 Post by papillon »

Nothing happen, your cc will only be charged when the product is finished.
... That's not how it works. You're charged when the project reaches its funding deadline. Then they take the money and are supposed to go make the product with it.

If they don't, there's nothing you can do about it.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Adorya »

Kickstarter started to get hype only when famous dev with famous past game tried it (Wasteland 2, Double Fine Adventure...)

The future of this fund system will depend on the success or failure of those.

Also a deep warning about it from Penny Arcade:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/editoria ... aigns-are-