Phoenix Wright

For the rest of your otaku life.
monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Phoenix Wright

#1 Post by monele »

Who here has played it? Thoughts? (and for game makers, do you think there are lessons to take from this series?)

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#2 Post by mrsulu »

Well, there was this thread I started about two years ago:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... nix+wright

I've been playing PW: Justice for All recently and it's still the same great PW. The first epsiode is fun, but the second one sort of heads off into the weirdo psychic stuff that's kind of wack. Franciska's a great new nemesis; she's better than the guy she's replacing.

I've been paying more attention to the text pacing. I mentioned it last time, but it bears a little extension to the discussion: They actually make the words appear like they were being spoken. Each sentence is delivered individually, and characters can talk at different rates to indicate they're excited or scared. if you shut your eyes and listen to it, it sounds like talking. And since they vary the pitch of the beep based on who is talking (women tend to be higher, men tend to be lower), it sounds a bit like conversation.

The disadvantage of this is that you can't just fly through it if you're bored, and I find I get a little sleepy if I'm playing it late at night since the presentation is too slow. The writing is good enough that I don't mind.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

I had seen your thread but it veered off quickly into generalities about expressions :).

I'm planning to get a DS soon and get Phoenix 1 for it. Then Phoenix 2 when it's out here (March supposedly). And hope for the third and four episodes to be released too ^^;
They actually make the words appear like they were being spoken.
Exactly! It's very dynamic with changes of pace and pauses. Since they couple it with animations and flashes and shakes, it's hard not to understand the mood. And the great thing about this is that it makes voices almost useless (which is a good thing for the GBA and DS I suppose).
And since they vary the pitch of the beep based on who is talking
I didn't notice that before! Seems like they only have two tones, but yeah, it does add to the experience ^^.
The disadvantage of this is that you can't just fly through it if you're bored
If you mean "skipping", I think it's possible by tapping the button to display the whole sentence at once... and once you've played through once, the second button lets you skip through. It might not be the case in every episode though ô_o.

Actually, playing this game when tired is bad for me because it does the flashing and shaking too much and it kills my eyes XD.. I'd be content with the text speed otherwise ^^;.

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#4 Post by mrsulu »

On the first time through any text, hitting the advance button does nothing---it just comes out at the speed it's coming out.

The second time through any piece of text, a tap on the advance button fills out the whole line, then the next button tap goes to the next line. It's not entirely unlike what you were suggesting in the other thread about text speed.

I both love and hate the delivery mechanism. It's like cutscenes---when the cutscene is very good, you don't mind. If the cutscene is bad, you hate it hate it hate. And if you have to repeat it, it doesn't matter.

In the case of PW, it's entirely linear, so there's no point where you have to repeat it...except when your battery dies and you haven't saved.

I think there's a parody game in here. A bevy of bishy twin girl maids are accused of murder and you, Phoenix Otaku Defense Attorney, must come to their rescue. Evidence would be doujin magazines, H games, and underclothing. Witnesses would include childhood best friends, bosomy school nurses, and your extremely sick little sister.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

I think there's a parody game in here. A bevy of bishy twin girl maids are accused of murder and you, Phoenix Otaku Defense Attorney, must come to their rescue. Evidence would be doujin magazines, H games, and underclothing. Witnesses would include childhood best friends, bosomy school nurses, and your extremely sick little sister.
Mmmm.... I'll have to think about this o_o...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Phoenix 3

#6 Post by monele »

Woop~! Phoenix Wright 3 is going to be released in the US, on the DS of course ^___^. I was really scared by the rumors saying that 1 & 2 didn't do so well and that no 3rd DS episode was made in Japan, which seemed to mean it might never get done.
But yay, it's going to exist ^___^. And that's the next needed step for Phoenix Wright 4 to be translated too, obviously... Everything's fine :D

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

Re: Phoenix Wright

#7 Post by kara24601 »

I still haven't gotten a chance to play any of the official games.
But I love the fan-made one and looking at stuff on the series....I can't wait to play/have the official games...even if was just one of them.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

While they have their flaws, they're really great ^^... and I'm still amazed that they're actually popular... I mean... they're so close to VNs!
Still waiting for PW3 to come out... Will probably replay PW1 and 2 while on vacation ^^

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#9 Post by Otaku Dash »

God How I wish I could play this!!! They said it would come here in ages but the first episode still hasn't come! Most copy's have to be imported and since I live with my old folks they have a "no net import policy" *sobs*

Oh well... at least I can play Lost in blue.... it was the only time I managed to persuade my parents to let me talk to a friend to import it for my bro (his ds.. his games >_>).
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

themocaw
Regular

#10 Post by themocaw »

What I loved about the success of Phoenix Wright is that it proves that there is a market for visual novels and story-oriented adventure games in the US. God bless the Nintendo DS.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Showsni »

I'm hoping they release number three here... There's no date on Nintendo's website other than "2007," but at least that means it should be coming out. Shouting "Objection!" or "Hold it!" in public is great fun...
Oh well... at least I can play Lost in blue.... it was the only time I managed to persuade my parents to let me talk to a friend to import it for my bro (his ds.. his games >_>).
I feel like I've been playing Lost in Blue forever. Wake up, get water, feed the goat, milk the goat, give Keith some lunchboxes, go to the beach, collect seaweed and shells, collect some firewood, make packed lunches for tomorrow, do chores, wait for him to get home... He finally gets in at 4 am or something ridiculous, I cook for him, we go to bed. About 60 times in a row! He hasn't even made it through the smoke area yet. I did it much faster when I was Keith.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#12 Post by yummy »

Showsni wrote:I'm hoping they release number three here... There's no date on Nintendo's website other than "2007," but at least that means it should be coming out. Shouting "Objection!" or "Hold it!" in public is great fun...
And don't forget to point your finger to someone randomly and blast tables with your hands :D

I'm currently playing the second episode of the second game and I must say, the story is awesome. I mean, it's really fun to counter the arguments and reveal the truth that lies in a witness' tale. Sure, sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the right item but that was only the case in the first game. In the second game you are able to reveal lies! :D
And Monny is right, it's really close to a VN. I really wonder how much time was needed for the final versions. On the first game, it's written 2001-2005. I assume it might be because of graphic issues (revamping the characters, QC, maybe even localization).

These games made me do all nighters! XD

ClintTheChocolic

#13 Post by ClintTheChocolic »

I’m not really sure why it’s “almost” a VN and not completely a VN. To me, Phoenix Wright feels more like a VN with some gameplay elements in between than the other way around. The “lawyer sim” is fun, and I enjoyed it very much (okay, it also frustrate me to no end. Talking about case 3 of second game here *grumble* *grumble*), but I think… at the bottom line, it’s all about the characters and the storytelling.

Also, I think the exceptional localization work is a great factor (though not the only factor, the lawyer sim gimmick is probably the main selling point) of why PW is more successful than other commercially translated VNs. I don’t think companies like Peach Princess, G-collections, etc made any attempt to localize the games they licensed. And by localization, I don't mean simply changing all the Japanese names to western names.

PS: Here’s an interesting interview with Capcom’s Phoenix Wright team regarding the localization of the game(s):

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?art ... a-vdRURKQh

PPS: PW3NDS release date has been confirmed. August 23 in Japan (with dual-language feature, so I guess you can always import it if you’re that desperate to play it.) And October 23th for the NA release.

Clint,

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

Definitely importing it :D...
And I said "almost VN" only because once you've gone through the first case, which is always a court session, you get more adventure-ish parts where you mostly move around, look at places and use items on people. The VN is still there to make people talk but you can feel the game is not about quietly reading a story anymore.

Still, it seems it might be a very good concept to bring more people to VNs... since most people are scared of the reading part.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#15 Post by Otaku Dash »

Showsni wrote:I'm hoping they release number three here... There's no date on Nintendo's website other than "2007," but at least that means it should be coming out. Shouting "Objection!" or "Hold it!" in public is great fun...
I feel like I've been playing Lost in Blue forever. Wake up, get water, feed the goat, milk the goat, give Keith some lunchboxes, go to the beach, collect seaweed and shells, collect some firewood, make packed lunches for tomorrow, do chores, wait for him to get home... He finally gets in at 4 am or something ridiculous, I cook for him, we go to bed. About 60 times in a row! He hasn't even made it through the smoke area yet. I did it much faster when I was Keith.
Yeah I heard that is from the 3rd one.. god Now I really want to play the sagas!!! T_T *sobs* I want to shout at people for no aparent reason and have an excuse for it...*mehehehe* :P ;)

Well on lost in blue I'm still with keith on the ruins since I had to erase everything (my bro got a tantrum and said he didn't want me to go further on the game cause the scrapbook was guetting filled with MY info >_>).. right now I'm in the part with 3 boxes and lots of Stone ones... I can't recall what room it is but there are 2 on the top and one on the lower part.

ANYWAYS.... sorry for the offopicness I want Phoniex Wright T_T

Rumors are on Phoniex Wright for Wii... I wonder when that will come?
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)