#1 Post by kittykatlover »

Just wanted to know:
1. Do you like SAO?
2. Do you like the characters?
3. Are they believable?
4. Who's your favorite?
5. Is the plot good?
6. Is the cousin thing OK?
7. Which do you like the best: the manga, the anime, the light novel, the games, ect.
8. Why?
9. What do you think of the anime? Are you watching it?
10. What about the light novel?
11. The manga?
12. The games?
13. Any other format that I don't know about?
14. Anything else~?

My answers:
1. Do you like SAO?
I love SAO!
2. Do you like the characters?
Completely.
3. Are they believable?
Yes, they are, though sometimes the character development is a little slower than in real life, or it can be too fast.
4. Who's your favorite?
At first it was Asuna, but then
she was demoted to useless and a 'damsel in distress'
and my new favorite character became Yui.
5. Is the plot good?
The overall plot's good, but there's a lot of filler episodes, which don't connect as much as I would like.
6. Is the cousin thing OK?
Yep.
7. Which do you like the best: the manga, the anime, the light novel, the games, ect.
I've actually only experienced the anime. "^_^
8. Why?
N/A
9. What do you think of the anime? Are you watching it?
I absolutely positively LOVE it.
Last edited by kittykatlover on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EroBotan
Veteran

Re: Sword Art Online

#2 Post by EroBotan »

I'm more curious about your answers to your own questions :D

As for me, I only watch 2 episodes of the anime so far. My friend loves it but I'm not convinced to pick it up again yet since when he talks about SAO, most of the time it's all about how pretty Asuna is ... . orz

Maybe someone here can convince me to pick it up again?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Some random notes about Sword Art Online:

I've been watching the anime since it debuted a season and a half ago. It's one of the most beautifully animated shows I've seen in a while, and the near-future science fiction story appeals to me. The main story of the Aincrad arc is also a really good one.

That being said, there's a _lot_ of filler in the first season of SAO, filler that wasn't in the first book, filler that turns SAO into a harem franchise. I honestly think the experience of the show is improved by watching episodes 1-3, and then 8-14. That isn't to say that those episodes are bad - but by having 4 or 5 filler episodes in a row, rather than spread out, it kind of kills the momentum. Watch the Aincrad arc first, and then go back and watch those once you're committed to the franchise.

Episode 3 is technically filler, but it's a brilliant episode, and the one I use to get people into the series.

A lot of people didn't like the ending of Episode 14. I didn't mind it - but for it to make sense, you have to either watch SAO very closely, or watch Accel World, which is by the same author and set at a later date in the same universe. Or one can read the book.

The idea of the last thing you see before dying - for at least ten seconds - is a computer game saying "You are Dead" is quite horrific, if you think about it.

I've read all of the novels that have been translated into English, well into the Alicization arc. (I read all novels that were available during a single long train ride.) One interesting thing about the SAO franchise is the way it progressively lowers the stakes:
In Aincrad, ten thousand people have their lives at constant risk.

In Fairy Dance, several hundred people are imprisoned, and one is at the risk of being raped.

In Phantom Bullet, a small number of people have their lives at risk.

In Mother's Rosario, there's basically no risk - the characters that die are terminally ill, and so it's more about how they live the last moments of their lives.
My favorite arc is Mother's Rosario, which is a brilliant take on how people can come together in virtual worlds. I'm not an MMO player, but this novel speaks to some of the potential of the form. (Potential that requires non-instanced servers, and which might have been achieved in Eve Online recently.)

The Alicization arc is long and has yet to get to the point where it makes sense. It also goes a bit beyond the near-future science fiction, which kind of hurts it. But I reserve judgement until it finishes a few years from now.

SAO is what I call my "pacing series" for this season and last season - if all the series I'm watching are made available at the same time, I'd watch SAO first. It may not be my favorite series of the seasons though - even though it's incredibly inconsistent, when it's at its best*, Space Brothers is really good.

* Pretty much whenever the scene moves to the US. Or to space.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#4 Post by zankizuna »

I Love this Anime!! I watch every latest episode but I don't read the light novel, spoils anime.
Kirito is so cool and I like Asuna for him, although Leafa/Lyfa is also pretty :D
I think if ever SAO or a nervegear online game sort of thing would happen in the future, it would be farther in the future...
like, 15 more years from now... lol :D it just sounds so, too high tech. It'll probably cost lots and lots of Terabytes like the internet which might be hard to do, considering that some would be AI and stuff....

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#5 Post by GeneDNC »

I watch the anime and enjoyed the first arc way more than the current one. I'm not much of a Leafa fan and it's really annoying that
Asuna got totally demoted to damsel in distress.
I've also heard things about the light novels that give me little confidence in where the show is going. I still watch it because it's mostly still fun, but it won't go on my favourites list.
Last edited by GeneDNC on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

EroBotan
Veteran

#6 Post by EroBotan »

mmm ... I guess I'll do what pytom says, watch 1-3 then 8-14 :D

Amarrez
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere

#7 Post by Amarrez »

It's amazingly awful, but for some reason I'm still watching it. I think I just want to finish what I started, or maybe I want to watch the inevitable season 2 where Kirito gets genderbent.

Kirito and Asuna take Gary Stu/Mary Sue to unbelievable new heights, the plot is ridiculous and full of inconsistencies, the new arc is somehow worse than the last one, the only good characters (Klein, Lisbeth etc) never get any screentime.

I could go on. In short, it's overrated and there are much better shows.