Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Re: Otaku and a weeaboo

#46 Post by Rinima »

I converted from a Weeaboo to a Otaku after I realised just how annoying I was.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by Lishy »

It's back!
-

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#48 Post by hiko27 »

I think weeaboos are Japanese wannabes that are annoying and just plain rude. While I was waiting for our Japanese teacher with my friend outside on the first day of classes, these group of kids just came and were loud and these two girls were saying Japanese words all over the place and were annoying and well, let's just say my friend and I were glad they didn't get to add that class. I'd probably have punched them sooner or later. I mean, yeah, it's cool that you're practicing you're Japanese but are you doing it to gain attention? I think that's what weeaboos are so don't be one, please, spare us the annoyance.

Otaku is, as everybody says, somebody who's obsessed with anything. You can be obsessed with books, with cars, with plushies. It can be anything but it's a derogatory term in Japanese society. I know it's a derogatory term in Japanese society but I had to confirm so I asked my Japanese friend one time and he said, yes, it's a derogatory term because basically, you don't have a life or something like that. But in the Western usage, it's people who are into anime or Japanese stuff (mostly anime) and well, it has a derogatory connotation to it the same as it is to the Japanese.

I used to refer to myself as an otaku when I was younger, when I didn't know better, but then after a while, it just felt really degrading how just because I love anime means I'm a loser or a nerd. So I just say I love anime and manga (mostly manga) and games. I don't use otaku and never will. You shouldn't really be proud of calling yourself an otaku... is what I think.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#49 Post by SHiNKiROU »

When I was 12, I was a script kiddie equivalent of weeaboo where I shout random computer technobabbles.

Now I never refer myself as an otaku nor a nerd, and I am careful not to reveal my obsessions.