Romeo x Juliet

For the rest of your otaku life.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Romeo x Juliet

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

GONZO's adaptations aren't exactly my favorite, but the first ep kinda sold me on this anime. The opening theme with the english version of "You Raise Me Up" looked beautiful too. I might even start liking Shakespeare after this. Any thoughts? I'm not a manga reader, so I have no idea how this is going to turn out. Seems to be a medieval fantasy remix of Romeo and Juliet.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

I like it.

Let's hope there be no mechas (crosses fingers).

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#3 Post by dizzcity »

I LOVED it. Right from the OP, all the way to the ending, and now that I've read the previews of the next episode, I can't wait for it to be subbed. I just wonder where Tybalt is. We've got every other major character (except for the Prince, Priest and the Apothecary) already introduced, but I can't believe GONZO doesn't have a Tybalt. (Unless maybe one of the new characters is going to fulfill his function) The only thing I didn't exactly like was the ending song... I don't think it fit very well.

This is one show I'll be following throughout the season.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

mokenju1
Regular

#4 Post by mokenju1 »

We're talking about the same Gonzo that made the lamest adaptation possible of the Count of Mount Crist? Pegasus, flying cities, crossdressing, Shakespeare adressed as Willi... Oh, please, where are the Mechas?

I don't care much about RomeoxJuliet (if we were talking about Hamlet or Titus Andronicus I would be actually mad at them), but I don't understand why they should call this anime RomeoXJuliet. If they are only borrowing from the original play the main themes (teenager tragic love story and death) why they don't create new names for the characters too and say only that the anime is lousely based on the play??. This sounds to me like taking advantage of a famous story to make the people wonder if they are going to change the ending or not.

Nothing against the quality of the anime that is very high and the main characters look really cute and all... Another positive thing is the ending which I ,against the opinion of most of the viewers, find very suitable to this kind of story :twisted: .

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#5 Post by lordcloudx »

This sounds to me like taking advantage of a famous story to make the people wonder if they are going to change the ending or not.
Interesting point. This is one of the biggest draw-ins for me so far. It has me wondering how they'll approach the eventually tragic ending (omg! super-spoiler! Romeo dies! Juliet dies too! hehe uncyclopediaspeak) and I have high hopes that this version will have a slightly bittersweet but satisfying ending not only for the capulet vs. montague conflict, but also for romeo and juliet.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

GLACIER
Regular

#6 Post by GLACIER »

If they are only borrowing from the original play the main themes (teenager tragic love story and death) why they don't create new names for the characters too and say only that the anime is lousely based on the play??
As with all of Japan's entertainment industries, the anime market has been continuously declining, so producers rely on hooks to attract viewers.

Using a recognizable name is one such hook (hence the abundance of manga adaptations. However, the re-envisioning of renowned literature raises eyebrows too).