For the rest of your otaku life.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Community Minecraft server

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Anyone interested in a community minecraft server? Might be a fun way to hang out with other devs, working together, getting to know each other, etc. (If there is no griefly, except maybe in certain areas.)

I don't mind hosting, although I may need help with the set up.
If someone else hosted, even better.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Viniciuskk
Regular
Projects: Spring Breeze
Organization: Homeroom Interactive

Re: Community Minecraft server

#2 Post by Viniciuskk »

That's a good idea, and I'd love to join it, but I dont have minecraft :|

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#3 Post by enta »

^ Unless the minecraft I know and the minecraft you are saying are two different things, minecraft is free(though it might depend on the server).

Sounds interesting. I haven't tried to join a minecraft before (because there were region-locks on most of it) but I'd love to check it out if you really make it(I'm sure there would be no region locks especially not here in Japan, eh?) :wink:

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#4 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I've played on servers loads of times, so they must be region-free.

I paid around $20 for my copy of minecraft. If you got yours free, it might be an older version? I know they did have a free version, but with very limited content.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I've played Minecraft, and my brother got me the copy. Not sure though if he got it for free or what.

Never tried getting in Minecraft servers, but I think the idea's interesting. Getting to know each other by playing games? It sounds like a really neat idea.

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#6 Post by enta »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:I've played on servers loads of times, so they must be region-free.

I paid around $20 for my copy of minecraft. If you got yours free, it might be an older version? I know they did have a free version, but with very limited content.
Well, I only saw a friend of mine who have it and only based my answer from her's(in which she claims it's free and region-locked) so I'm not really sure about it.

pwisaguacate
Veteran

#7 Post by pwisaguacate »

Site link: Minecraft.net

Minecraft Classic (v0.30) is the free version. Released on December 22nd, 2009, it is outdated and no longer supported. Some users may prefer Classic for simply building structures for fun (no redstone or non-cubic blocks though). MCForge is the most popular Classic server software. Combined with its command functionality and World of Minecraft (WoM) game client, which allows you to fly and fast-speed, experienced players may build large structures efficiently. In my experience, trying to fly around in the full game is clunky.

Minecraft is not free. The price of purchasing a key for the full game costed €9.95 (~$13) when Minecraft was in its Alpha stage. It increased to €14.95 (~$20) during Beta. Minecraft was officially released on November 18th, 2011; it now costs €19.95 or $26.95 to have access to the full game. If you played for free, then you either used one of those giveaway accounts (or a key gifted to you from someone else) or the pirated launcher by AnjoCaido (in which case you wouldn't be able to play in non-pirated servers). CraftBukkit is most commonly used for servers and can run Bukkit plugins.

I have not played Minecraft in ages since Beta. If anyone starts a proper server, I might be interested in constructing towns but not to spend a lot of time adventuring.

My recommended downloads:
  • Minecraft Portable 2.7.1 - Keeps everything within the same directory, thus carrying over saves, settings, themes, etc. to another PC is made easy. You can create additional folder copies to quickly switch between different mod configurations. If you log in at least once, you may play offline without login verification--useful for when Minecraft.net is down, which happens often in the past. (No support for Linux, sorry)
  • Marglyph's TooManyItems - An ingame invedit that lets you select specific items.
  • Rei's Minimap - A minimap that lets you set waypoints and view where you last died.
  • WorldEdit Bukkit plugin / single-player - An in-game world editor. Note: Single Player Commands (SPC) includes WorldEdit.
  • 7-Zip Portable for Windows - (Not needed if you can already extract archives)
Additional note: xBox and iOS Minecraft sucks; don't touch it.

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#8 Post by Semienigma »

I don't go on servers often, but I paid for mine. I wouldn't mind though if its still being considered.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

DatYandereGirl

#9 Post by DatYandereGirl »

I'd do it but I'd rarely be on as Minecraft gets a tad boring to me over time.