Game Industry Scholarship for Women

For the rest of your otaku life.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

Game Industry Scholarship for Women

#1 Post by rioka »

If any females here are interested in going to the game industry, this is a perfect opportunity. WomenGamers.com and Guildhall at SMU, Texas is offering a scholarship to help boost female representation in the gaming industry. It will pay for the 18 months (6 semesters) you will be there. Their programs cover art creation, level design, and software development.

I've heard very highly about the Guildhall and it would be pretty neat if someone here can pave the way for bishoujo games.. ;D

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#2 Post by Sai »

If only commuting by boat or plane across an ocean was an option =(

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#3 Post by rioka »

I don't know if they'll pay your airplane/boat ticket but if you do go there you're going to have to move there for the 18 months. I heard that most people who went there were from out of town - different states. I don't know about out of the country...

Want me to ask at WomenGamers if they allow applicants from out of the country? I'm already a member there. =)

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#4 Post by Sai »

How long is the offer on for? I'm currently enrolled on a course in England.

Anyway I don't know if I'd make the leap of moving to America. I've never been out the country before going to France just the other week (wasn't a nice experience but then it was only one experience). So it would have to be really really worth it =\ So I dunno... Wish there was something like that here -.- (even if I had to pay money)
Perhaps there is... *shrugs*

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#5 Post by rioka »

I asked them if there was a deadline and the reply I got was to fill out the application form... :\ Anyways, I figure this would be an ongoing scholarship as a one-time scholarship will not help bring more women into the gaming industry.

I checked out their FAQ page and they accept international students and I've already asked if international female students may apply for the scholarship. They'll probably reply by tomorrow.

There may be courses related to programming and computer graphics over at your place but they may not have the gaming element they have in the Guildhall. You don't have to make the decision now if you're unsure. I'm still deciding myself. =)