How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Dravencour

Re: How did you get into anime?

#121 Post by Dravencour »

I believe my introduction to anime came with Toonami during the late 90s and early 2000s, though I primarily heard about it through the internet. My first two anime movies that I remember were Akira and Ghost in the Shell, two quite violent cyberpunk flicks. I also ended up catching a show on cable called Cyber City Oedo 808, which was also quite violent as hell. Hentai stuff was out of my reach for a while, thankfully. My favorite series back in the day were Dragon Ball Z (though its reputation for dragging out plots did turn me off after a while), Gundam Wing, Tenchi Muyo, and Cowboy Bebop. Bebop was especially a joy to watch, as I was on a huge John Woo kick back then, and several of the episodes had Spike going up against the Red Dragon in Heroic Bloodshed fashion.

Czero

#122 Post by Czero »

A long time ago :)
Visual novel lover and maker...

Works in progress: A Little Bit of Happiness viewtopic.php?f=59&t=54385

I'm looking for writing work viewtopic.php?f=63&t=50859

Ermytarya
Regular
Projects: I am working on something, dunno about how to name it yet.

#123 Post by Ermytarya »

i grow up watching anime on tv, so i guess its not like i got into anime since i watched it since i was a child, now that am old i dont watch anime anymore just a few jewells i have found that all, the anime nowdays its not of my liking.

Czero

#124 Post by Czero »

Ermytarya wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:51 pm i grow up watching anime on tv, so i guess its not like i got into anime since i watched it since i was a child, now that am old i dont watch anime anymore just a few jewells i have found that all, the anime nowdays its not of my liking.
A very understandable sentiment, truly.
Visual novel lover and maker...

Works in progress: A Little Bit of Happiness viewtopic.php?f=59&t=54385

I'm looking for writing work viewtopic.php?f=63&t=50859

Wilfong

#125 Post by Wilfong »

Back in highschool, a friend of mine kept talking about Anime and I just remember looking at him all confused because I didn't know what he was talking about. But once I started watching the shows he was talking about, I was instantly hooked.
Here's a helpful review of Noocube to read.

CC_LoreBeast
Completed: Jaw Breakers: The Confection Connection
Organization: CatComb Studio
itch: catcombstudio

#126 Post by CC_LoreBeast »

I think the first anime I ever watched was Pokemon, way back in the day. But that was before I even realised it was Japanese.

The first anime I intentionally watched was Naruto, after my older brother recommended it to me, and I've been obsessed ever since.

Chiagirl
Regular
Completed: Ellen and the Pumpkin
Projects: The Crossing
itch: Chiagirl

#127 Post by Chiagirl »

Saturday morning cartoons like Sailor Moon, Digimon, and Kirby. I didn't even know what anime was until I was quite a bit older and the shows had switched to stuff like Pokemon, Yugioh, and Shaman King. By that point I was hooked and my best friend introduced me to more shows like Naruto, Inuyasha, and Vampire Knight. I began playing the Yugioh CCG, branched into JRPGs like Final Fantasy and Tales of, and later got into visual novels by stumbling across Phantom Seeds somehow. I didn't make it into the anime convention scene until I was an adult, but I have a few cosplays under my belt. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be an anime fan forever as there's very few non animated shows that interest me.

Reading_Steiner

#128 Post by Reading_Steiner »

I never got into anime through the morning cartoons or popular shounen (Naruto, One Piece etc) which, on the contrary, I was always annoyed to see on TV instead of the shows I liked...

However, I got into anime a couple years ago through the game (and anime) Valkyria Chronicles, which brought me later on to Girls und Panzer, Black Lagoon and Kantai Collection, and I began sinking deeper and deeper into the anime fandom... Now, I've got 100+ anime titles and 25-30 VNs under my belt (my first one was Everlasting Summer because I've always been interested in Soviet history) and I've never looked back!

princessap7

#129 Post by princessap7 »

I got into it because when I was younger, all I really had to watch was Amazon Instant Video on my mom's computer and since it has a pretty big anime library I clicked on one, probably Princess Tutu but Inuyasha or Fruit's Basket if not. Then my older brother probably found out about it and introduced me to more anime because he's a weeb. My memories from back then are pretty fuzzy. I got into non-vn anime games from my older bro from playing Blazeblue and Tales of Vesperia on the Xbox 360. Also let me just say that the Vesperia switch port announcement has been the happiest I've been in a while...I got into visual novels a bit later. One of the earliest I remember playing was Ripples and for a couple of years I really just played the quaint few visual novels that were on phones, like Stellaren, and then I got my own computer and started playing Narcissu and stuff.
she's a trash girl in a trash world

CaptainTenno

#130 Post by CaptainTenno »

I was strolling down the street on my way back to school, when I saw a group of strangely-dressed people. I came to ask them if its a movie or video they filmed. Or some tv show? But they said they are "Con-players" or something like that, and they are pretending to be characters from an "anime" Naruto. From their description I derived that it was a cartoon. I (13 y.o. at that time, and they were about 15-16 y.o.), cheered and stated that I also like watching cartoons.

"ANIME IS NOT A CARTOON" I heard, after somehow evading a hard jab from the tallest for them. I ran back to school, they chased me. I hid in school, then I got my boys and we went out to find them. Aslan, our class bully and most respected of our company said that from my description these guys could be Goths or Metallists or even Gays (the horrors!) , and suggested all be on high alert in the neighborhood. However we never seen em ever again.

I, on the other hand, was curious, and asked about what this "Naruto" might be, an acquaintance of mine - a rather friendly guy in this 20's, who was an admin in a computer club near school. I must mention here, that this guy, the admin, always insisted people there call him "Sempai" :)...

After a short lecture on the difference of "anime" and "cartoons", he pointed me to a market where I can buy a copy of this "Naruto" (illegal CD with horrible fan dub - oh those beautiful 2000s). Thus, I went a road I shouldn't ever walked, yet I did - and honestly, never really regretted that.

Aniknk
Regular

#131 Post by Aniknk »

My story is not really complicated. I was watching anime like Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa, General Daimos in local TV when I was few years old, and then I didn't know it's called anime. Many years later, when I started study, I decide with my best friend to rewatch Dragon Ball series, and then I learned it's an anime. After rewatching DB I started watching anime like Hellsing and GTO (first two), then more and more. Now I have 617 series compliet, and next 91 in watching. It's not too much, but not a little number as well.
I wish I had an talent to do graphics. Or any other talents. But you know what they talking about people without any talents, they have a big pe***es. No wait. They talk so about people with big feets...

UtopiaZ

#132 Post by UtopiaZ »

I wouldn't be original: morning cartoons like Digimon, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Candy Candy, Naruto.

ajdapekkan

#133 Post by ajdapekkan »

Big brother was watching FMA, and I loved every second of it! I was sort of afraid of it though, I guess I was around 10?
Then he stopped watching it but I continued, and then I fell into this hellhole XD

izanami
Regular
Completed: un/FRAGMENT.
Projects: Minami,
Organization: Izakiko Paradox
itch: izakikoparadox
Discord: ragyuo

#134 Post by izanami »

I was in the mental hospital on my birthday and I met someone who drew anime girls as angels. I really liked her art and she told me all about anime while i was there. I left and went to watch anime on netflix. My first anime i watched was Tsukiyomi Moonphase. I've been hooked ever since.

Seram

#135 Post by Seram »

The only animation I ever watched growing up was from Disney. When I told that to a friend of mine he basically forced me to watch Dragonball z. It was amazing at first but then you get to the long drawn out fight scenes and it was torture. Dragonball z will always have a special place in my heart but I NEVER want to watch it again!