How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

How did you get into anime?

#1 Post by Fenrir34 »

I know this may be random but I want people to tell me a story about how you first got into anime

Here's mine:

My sister loved Japanese culture and was introduced to anime by a friend. One day she got a video called Zanki. I was interested and began to watch it with her. At first I was a little horrified. The series was scary and to overwhelming for me.

After watching some of the Zanki series, my sister and I then watched Akira. That's not exactly a good thing to watch when you're just a child and it scared me. It was at that time that I didn't watch anime for about a year.

When we went on vacation my sister found a new series called Inuyasha. She said it was amazing and I actually became interested in anime again. Six months later we went to Florida and I found the Inuyasha manga. The first volumes I got were 5 and 8.

After reading it many times over I began to watch anime again and even Akira. I slowly became in love with it and couldn't stop. :)

There's my story.
So how did you get into anime. What was you're first series? Did you like it or hate it?
Please share with me :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: How did you get into anime?

#2 Post by Googaboga »

I just watched a lot of shows that were on as a kid. Pokemon, Digimon, and Sailor Moon were the first animes I ever saw. I am not sure which one I saw first. Of course as a kid I had no idea they were originally from Japan or were called animes instead of cartoons. I didn't realize that until I was a little older and my cousin got my siblings and I into the show Inuyasha. He had an Inuyasha video game that he brought over. We played it and I had a hard remembering the names of the characters. Then we found out the show was on at night so we all started trying to stay up so we could watch it. Those were the days XD.

I'm not into anime anymore. I have nothing against it I just almost never watch TV shows in general anymore. So I'm not into basically any type of show.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Friends and libraries. I had already entered comics fandom, so I was intrigued when I found a local library's trade paperbacks of Oh My Goddess and Xenon the Heavy Metal Warrior. My fannish interests really increased when a reliable person lent me an early VHS of the Slayers TV series. After that, it was just a few weeks before I started renting and borrowing Ranma 1/2 books and tapes, and comparing the differences between them. Being a new fan in the late 90s was an interesting experience -- there was a decent amount of products in English, but I had to be selective in my purchases. Paying up to $30 for a video that might have only two or three episodes was a gamble.

I've rarely equated fandoms with social experiences. Maybe it's because I'm an introvert, but I didn't attend a fan convention until about seven years later, and I didn't even look for a local club for several more years.

Also, I try to give every media form and style a chance. Thouh I don't always succeed in that regard...
Fenrir34 wrote:One day she got a video called Zanki. I was interested and began to watch it with her. At first I was a little horrified. The series was scary and to overwhelming for me...
I think you're referring to Zenki, though I could be mistaken.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Fenrir34 »

Googaboga wrote:I just watched a lot of shows that were on as a kid. Pokemon, Digimon, and Sailor Moon were the first animes I ever saw. I am not sure which one I saw first. Of course as a kid I had no idea they were originally from Japan or were called animes instead of cartoons. I didn't realize that until I was a little older and my cousin got my siblings and I into the show Inuyasha. He had an Inuyasha video game that he brought over. We played it and I had a hard remembering the names of the characters. Then we found out the show was on at night so we all started trying to stay up so we could watch it. Those were the days XD.

I'm not into anime anymore. I have nothing against it I just almost never watch TV shows in general anymore. So I'm not into basically any type of show.
I miss being younger and being able to stay up late to watch anime. Those were the days for me to. :) And my sister got out of anime to and instead went to drama's. That might happen to me one day because anime isn't as good as it used to be :?

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Fenrir34 »

gekiganwing wrote:Friends and libraries. I had already entered comics fandom, so I was intrigued when I found a local library's trade paperbacks of Oh My Goddess and Xenon the Heavy Metal Warrior. My fannish interests really increased when a reliable person lent me an early VHS of the Slayers TV series. After that, it was just a few weeks before I started renting and borrowing Ranma 1/2 books and tapes, and comparing the differences between them. Being a new fan in the late 90s was an interesting experience -- there was a decent amount of products in English, but I had to be selective in my purchases. Paying up to $30 for a video that might have only two or three episodes was a gamble.

I've rarely equated fandoms with social experiences. Maybe it's because I'm an introvert, but I didn't attend a fan convention until about seven years later, and I didn't even look for a local club for several more years.

Also, I try to give every media form and style a chance. Thouh I don't always succeed in that regard...
Fenrir34 wrote:One day she got a video called Zanki. I was interested and began to watch it with her. At first I was a little horrified. The series was scary and to overwhelming for me...
I think you're referring to Zenki, though I could be mistaken.
That's a little bit how I started out. In the 90's it was hard to find and buy anime. Fushigi Yugi for example, I had to by on video as well, along with Ranma 1/2. After that my sister and I found dvd's and bought them, but they got rather expensive. :lol:

And thanks for the correct spelling of Zenki. I'm surprised someone knows that show. It's not well known by people but it's still good :)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#6 Post by noeinan »

Well, when I was five a friend of mine (also five) showed me her older brother's comic books-- Ah My Goddess! I attempted to immitate the art style since I loved drawing at the time, and have been drawing in an anime/manga style ever since. Over the years I've collected 6 (6' tall 3' wide) bookshelves worth of manga, and GigaBytes upon Gigabytes of translated manga on my computers.

I started liking it when no one knew what it was, or automatically associated it with hentai-- but now it's more accepted and you can even find a variety of manga in bookstores. Glad to see more and more titles being translated-- even series I never would have guessed would be brought over. :D

hikaa212
Regular
Projects: Distant Dream

#7 Post by hikaa212 »

At first, I only read Doraemon comics and don't really know much about animes. I have few friends who like to talk about animes, and I tried to watch it but wasn't really interested.

Then one day I was bored and decided to read some mangas on internet. I read some random shoujo mangas and got addicted. Then I tried to read shounen mangas. I told my friend about the mangas, and she lent me some of her anime CDs. I can't remember what animes was it, though :P and I watch more and more animes and become addicted in the end. :D
"I hope that all of the choices I've made while wandering through the darkness might give everyone a ray of Light." - Kotarou Tennouji, Rewrite.

tumblr | a blog about games
I'm useless, haha.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Fenrir34 »

daikiraikimi wrote:Well, when I was five a friend of mine (also five) showed me her older brother's comic books-- Ah My Goddess! I attempted to immitate the art style since I loved drawing at the time, and have been drawing in an anime/manga style ever since. Over the years I've collected 6 (6' tall 3' wide) bookshelves worth of manga, and GigaBytes upon Gigabytes of translated manga on my computers.

I started liking it when no one knew what it was, or automatically associated it with hentai-- but now it's more accepted and you can even find a variety of manga in bookstores. Glad to see more and more titles being translated-- even series I never would have guessed would be brought over. :D

Some people did that to me to and I'm also glad that more series are being made into English. It means more people in America are reading it. :D

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Fenrir34 »

hikaa212 wrote:At first, I only read Doraemon comics and don't really know much about animes. I have few friends who like to talk about animes, and I tried to watch it but wasn't really interested.

Then one day I was bored and decided to read some mangas on internet. I read some random shoujo mangas and got addicted. Then I tried to read shounen mangas. I told my friend about the mangas, and she lent me some of her anime CDs. I can't remember what animes was it, though :P and I watch more and more animes and become addicted in the end. :D

Cool. Many people become addicted to it. But those who hate it, at times, think that anime is like pokemon or digimon when it's not. :)

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#10 Post by SHiNKiROU »

I was introduced to anime when I was a kid in China. There are no cultural translations of anime in China (onigiri will never become subways), and an anime is either aired without any localization or it's 100% censored. The intros may be re-sang in Mandarin or Cantonese but no crappy rap Pokemon intros.

My first series were Hikarian (transforming trains), Cardcaptor Sakura and Digimon.

When I was in grade 4 or 5, I liked Naruto and Dragon Ball and played many video games about them. I talked about Roshi and Jiraiya nosebleeding with my friends.

Last month I revisited China and found out Chinese animation and comics are imitating anime style.

aphosphene
Regular
Projects: Between The Raindrops, red & clover

#11 Post by aphosphene »

Those Saturday morning Naruto marathons they show on TV during my elementary years. Those were the good days.
Totally had the hots for Neji. :lol:

And Doraemon too, it was being played on another channel. So I kept switching channels back and forth, much to my older cousin's irritation. :lol:
MY PROJECTS

This isn't vengeance. It's justice. A life for a life
Yes. This is justice. I raise the .45 to his face.
And the rest will be vengeance.

serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful
without looking for it

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Fenrir34 »

SHiNKiROU wrote:I was introduced to anime when I was a kid in China. There are no cultural translations of anime in China (onigiri will never become subways), and an anime is either aired without any localization or it's 100% censored. The intros may be re-sang in Mandarin or Cantonese but no crappy rap Pokemon intros.

My first series were Hikarian (transforming trains), Cardcaptor Sakura and Digimon.

When I was in grade 4 or 5, I liked Naruto and Dragon Ball and played many video games about them. I talked about Roshi and Jiraiya nosebleeding with my friends.

Last month I revisited China and found out Chinese animation and comics are imitating anime style.

Cool and our Chinese comics good? I've never read them before

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Fenrir34 »

aphosphene wrote:Those Saturday morning Naruto marathons they show on TV during my elementary years. Those were the good days.
Totally had the hots for Neji. :lol:

And Doraemon too, it was being played on another channel. So I kept switching channels back and forth, much to my older cousin's irritation. :lol:

My sister always got mad at me for watching things over again. But those were the days for me to when I would watch anime all day long and all night long :lol:

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#14 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I was planning to move to Japan, and I thought watching a lot of anime might help with my listening skills, listening to natural speed Japanese in particular.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Fenrir34 »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:I was planning to move to Japan, and I thought watching a lot of anime might help with my listening skills, listening to natural speed Japanese in particular.

Watching anime and Japanese movies, along with music, has helped me learn some of the language. I really want to learn it in school but it's not as popular as French or Spanish. It's kind of sad actually. I really want to learn it more :(