How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: How did you get into anime?

#76 Post by Shinoki »

My sister's friend introduced her to manga. My sister introduced me to manga. Really, I don't understand why the manga was so weird, but... anyways, I ended up getting into manga. Manga to anime to current otaku-ish state.

LinovaA

#77 Post by LinovaA »

It depends on what we mean by "get into anime". If we are talking about initially, then it was my friend lending me the entirety of Death Note and me loving every minute of it (even the ending.. because I was in like grade 8 ). I watched all of Bleach and Code Geass, but I didn't really watch much else. There were a few things, but generally I just had a healthy respect for the medium. However if we are talking about how I got super into it and became the strange otaku-like thing I am now; that is a different story.

It was probably when I moved from home a few years back and was in a town 5000km (about 3107 miles) away from anybody I knew. I guess I took solace in the internet and decided I needed a way to spend large amounts of time relatively quickly. Anime was definitely the best way to go about this, so I closed my eyes on an anime list and picked something, which ended up being Berserk. From Berserk I went to Steins;Gate, from that to Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki, Evangelion, Gungrave, etc. Before I knew it, I found myself waist deep in anime, crying as I watched Clannad for the 5th time and wondering when my next mail order of blu-ray anime would be coming in. 8)

Somewhere in there I discovered visual novels as well, but that is a different story for a separate section of the forum. :P

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#78 Post by sasquatchii »

LinovaA wrote:It depends on what we mean by "get into anime". If we are talking about initially, then it was my friend lending me the entirety of Death Note and me loving every minute of it (even the ending.. because I was in like grade 8 ).
Haha YES! Deathnote was my gateway anime (I was like 17 when I watched it so I'm embarassed to say that I loved every minute of it too xD)

But also I watched Princess Mononoke with my friends when I was 14 and thought it was the most amazing movie I'd ever seen. Except my friends at the time also watched Gundam and Inuyasha and Naruto and even at 14 I disliked those types of stories so that sort of turned me off to anime for a while until a friend sat me down and we watched all of Deathnote together over the course of a few days.
ImageImage

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

#79 Post by breadslam »

My dad was a little anime geek in the 70s, always bothering his Japanese cousins for Speed Racer memorabilia whenever they'd come to visit. He eventually got into Rumiko Takahashi's early 80s stuff, Dragon Ball, Lupin III, Voltron, etcetera. By the time I was born, he wasn't really interested in it anymore, but I ended up getting anime/manga related things from his cousins when I was a kid because they thought I'd "inherited" his love of it.

I personally never got into anime that much (which is a little weird, considering where I'm posting, huh?), but I have a lot of little doodads and toys from some of the more popular series in the 90s like Sailor Moon and early Pokemon stuff.

Catalyst Edge Gaming
Regular
Completed: Deep Freeze Cafe
Projects: Junkyard
Tumblr: catalystedge

#80 Post by Catalyst Edge Gaming »

I have no idea, I saw it once on chance and I've not been able to escape since. Every time I tried to walk away there was always something to drag me back in.
First Finished game! Deep Freeze Cafe.

You can buy it here

And of course there's something new in the works. More details will be released on tumblr as the project get's further along~
http://catalystedge.tumblr.com/

TheChris
Regular
Projects: Stickshooter
Deviantart: innocencecanceller

#81 Post by TheChris »

My story is kind of weird. Over two years ago, I actually got into learning the Japanese language because of a friend of mine. I had never seen anime before, and only started watching in order to help me become more familiar with the language. Before long, I liked anime just as much as I loved studying Japanese. My first two anime series were Death Note and Yuru Yuri. Of course, the only reason I eventually learned about visual novels and an now making one is because of anime.

Chauncelle

#82 Post by Chauncelle »

They used to air a lot of anime shows on our local channels back then but I spent most of my time playing outside so I never got to watch one. When our parents went on a vacation, it was just me, my big brother and big sister left in our home. We ate our dinner in front of the tv and watched Samurai X. And that's the start of it all....

tejina
Projects: Faded Hearts, Ward 12
Organization: Tejigroup

#83 Post by tejina »

I used to watch whatever happened to come onto a certain TV channel (that died out pretty quickly, I was quite sad T-T) and didn't even realize it was anime.
Gun X Sword was the first one I started seriously watching, but then the channel petered out and I never knew how it ended...until, of course, broadband internet.

Hmm. After that, I got into manga (have two bookshelves full *-*) and have found much anime FROM the manga. Or the other way 'round.

Then, due to circumstances, I was at my parents' house for eight months.

All I had was household chores and TV, and a DVD player.

I burned four DVD cases full of anime and watched it from 10 AM to 3:30 PM almost daily.

I'll watch almost anything =D

enterfic

#84 Post by enterfic »

When I was a kid, I was able to watch the following animes on weekday cartoons:

- Saint Seiya
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Dragon Ball
- Yu Yu Hakusho

Saint Seiya was patient zero, but Yu Yu Hakusho was the one that really moved me.

Later on, when I was 15, I bought some cheap anime magazines at a newspaper stand while visiting my uncles house. One of the magazines had a passionated review about Sailor Moon and Ranma 1/2. At the time, I hadn't watched them yet, but the reviewer words and the character's artwork was enough to hook me into anime forever ^^

SlayerFanGirl

#85 Post by SlayerFanGirl »

I watched naruto and inuyasha on tv and liked it
then i searched online for more and found death note and others i liked

darkrchaos
Regular
Completed: A Few
Projects: Moe Wars: Crimson Samon
Deviantart: darkrchaos

#86 Post by darkrchaos »

Well it started with Fullmetal Alchemist, but the main series that got me into it was Strike Witches.

Boreas

#87 Post by Boreas »

For me it's hard to say. I had been around it a lot. But I remember certain ones standing out. Tekken the movie was one. Mostly for the fact my whole family loved playing Tekken 2.
Another was some from ADV, which I found through the Tekken movie. Such as Legend of Crystania. I really liked it over all and was getting into animal people, before I even knew they had a name.
Tenchi Muyo was another which really stands out. There was some good stuff. Lots more now!

LunarVN

#88 Post by LunarVN »

I loved Speed Racer as a kid and when Toonami came around I instantly fell in love with pretty much everything there. DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.

Guess it was just fate! =P

Selwyn
Tumblr: charmysketches

#89 Post by Selwyn »

The first anime I ever saw that I knew was anime was Ranma 1/2 (I had such a crush on Ryoga at the time), and I'm still a fan! Before that I saw some Hello Kitty episodes and other things like that on t.v. I didn't know they were from Japan, but I could tell that there was something different about those kind of shows, and I liked them a lot.
I've been a anime fan for a long time now and remember back when my sisters and I were recording/copying tapes for friends and trying to convince our parents that $15.95 wasn't too much for one volume of manga! (Just one volume of Fushigi Yugi was really that expensive back in Viz's initial run of it lol!)

flickawhite
Tumblr: animejellyfish

#90 Post by flickawhite »

My sister was into anime when she was in grade 6-7 and I was in grade 3-4. I snuck my sister's manga that she got out from the library and after being scarred from reading Guru Guru Pon-chan WAY too young, I was off manga and anime until grade 6 when I got really into Shugo Chara, Inuyasha, Kamichama Karin. It's funny cause recently, I re-read Guru Guru Pon-chan and it's actually not that bad. Thankfully I didn't sneak read when my sister was reading Parasyte (which I'm reading now) or I really would've regretted it...