How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

Re: How did you get into anime?

#16 Post by megatuga »

Mostly because of other anime that made me want to know more about it. Such as Rockman.EXE, Bomberman Jetterz, Infinite Stratos and Accel World.

Watching those made me want to watch more I guess. Sorry that it isn't much of a great story.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#17 Post by Fenrir34 »

megatuga wrote:Mostly because of other anime that made me want to know more about it. Such as Rockman.EXE, Bomberman Jetterz, Infinite Stratos and Accel World.

Watching those made me want to watch more I guess. Sorry that it isn't much of a great story.

It's okay. That's actually how many people start with anime. Usually they watched Dragon Ball, Digimon or Pokemon

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#18 Post by LVUER »

My very first anime will probably be Voltes V or Saint Seiya. But at that time I still don't know what is anime (I rent the VCR/beta). After that is Doraemon (a local tv station have been airing it), again, I still doesn't realize the existence of anime.

My "very first" anime would be Sailormoon. Again, because a local tv station aired it. Though I didn't know about manga or anime (I've been readin manga, but I don't know what is manga or comic book, they're all the same to me), I always really like drawing and had been searching for a style. So when Sailormoon with its very-anime-style came in, I instantly in love (Sailormoon could be said as the first modern anime-styled anime in my country). Who wouldn't fall in love with such cute high school girls, transforming into magical girls (the transformation sequence, OMG, it's the first of its kind).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#19 Post by trooper6 »

Hm...I watched on TV with the rest of the cartoons. I grew up in San Francisco in the 70s and 80s and started with some tokusatsu shows that were aired after school: Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, and Space Giants. But then I watched the cartoons (which at the time we called "Japanese Cartoons" rather than "anime"): Robotech, Captain Harlock, G-Force, Speed Racer, Starblazers. Then a bunch of "US" cartoons were being drawn in Japan, and I watched those too. Thundercats, Jem, Mask, etc. I am too old to have gotten into the Sailor Moon Pokemon thing.

I moved into manga some...but mostly the heavier stuff. Crying Freeman, Sanctuary, Eagle.

I watched Akira like everyone else. I suppose the only anime I currently keep up with is Ghost in the Shell.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Fenrir34 »

LVUER wrote:My very first anime will probably be Voltes V or Saint Seiya. But at that time I still don't know what is anime (I rent the VCR/beta). After that is Doraemon (a local tv station have been airing it), again, I still doesn't realize the existence of anime.

My "very first" anime would be Sailormoon. Again, because a local tv station aired it. Though I didn't know about manga or anime (I've been readin manga, but I don't know what is manga or comic book, they're all the same to me), I always really like drawing and had been searching for a style. So when Sailormoon with its very-anime-style came in, I instantly in love (Sailormoon could be said as the first modern anime-styled anime in my country). Who wouldn't fall in love with such cute high school girls, transforming into magical girls (the transformation sequence, OMG, it's the first of its kind).

That's a nice story and it is said that Sailor Moon, like Tenchi Muyo and Keshin, is one of those shows that got many anime fans. But I also like to think that Astro Boy did that, though not many people, at least in my life, know of that anime.

Sailor Moon was one of my faves as well when I was younger but now I kind am neutral about it. Still it'll always be one of those anime's that got me started :D

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Fenrir34 »

trooper6 wrote:Hm...I watched on TV with the rest of the cartoons. I grew up in San Francisco in the 70s and 80s and started with some tokusatsu shows that were aired after school: Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, and Space Giants. But then I watched the cartoons (which at the time we called "Japanese Cartoons" rather than "anime"): Robotech, Captain Harlock, G-Force, Speed Racer, Starblazers. Then a bunch of "US" cartoons were being drawn in Japan, and I watched those too. Thundercats, Jem, Mask, etc. I am too old to have gotten into the Sailor Moon Pokemon thing.

I moved into manga some...but mostly the heavier stuff. Crying Freeman, Sanctuary, Eagle.

I watched Akira like everyone else. I suppose the only anime I currently keep up with is Ghost in the Shell.
Akira, as you said, has been seen by everyone. It was my first movie and I enjoyed it. :) I also watched Thunder Cats. It was a strange yet good series that seemed a little more American to me. Never watched Jem though. In fact I didn't know about it till just a few years ago. :lol:

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#22 Post by Rinima »

I got into it through an AMV...
about Naruto *facepalm*
But that was how I got into it permanently, I had noticed it before through Card Captor Sakura and Yu-gi-oh, but was never really a huge anime fan until Naruto...
which is a little sad :(
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Fenrir34 »

Rinima wrote:I got into it through an AMV...
about Naruto *facepalm*
But that was how I got into it permanently, I had noticed it before through Card Captor Sakura and Yu-gi-oh, but was never really a huge anime fan until Naruto...
which is a little sad :(
That's okay. A lot of people, espcially now, get into anime because of naruto, bleach, or one piece. Back then it was sailor moon, tenchi muyo, and yu yu hakusho

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#24 Post by Rinima »

Fenrir34 wrote:That's okay. A lot of people, espcially now, get into anime because of naruto, bleach, or one piece. Back then it was sailor moon, tenchi muyo, and yu yu hakusho
None the less, it's still embarrassing (even if I do still keep up to date on the manga).
Especially since I tend to watch the darker animes now.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#25 Post by Ran08 »

Wow, that's cool. Haha. I started pretty much the same way, and not knowing that it was anime and not a cartoon too. Lol. :))

The first anime I remember is Ghost Fighter. I had lots of GF toys back then. My Dad liked it a lot, so he bought me so many action figures, coloring books, pillows, clothes, and just anything with GF! I'm a girl, but I played more with those action figures of dudes with diferent hair than my other dolls. :))

However, the first anime I really liked was Inuyasha. I sort of... grew up with it already. For as long as I could remember, I've always liked that anime.
And of course, Pokemon. I'm still a fan. :) My dad bought every single CD of the films. At least until the Sinnoh region. :)) He doesn't like the new Pokemon. But back then, we'd always watch it together. Haha.

In short, I guess I was never formally "introduced" to anime. I grew up with it. Lol. I watched anime as much as I watched cartoons. :))

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Fenrir34 »

Rinima wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:That's okay. A lot of people, espcially now, get into anime because of naruto, bleach, or one piece. Back then it was sailor moon, tenchi muyo, and yu yu hakusho
None the less, it's still embarrassing (even if I do still keep up to date on the manga).
Especially since I tend to watch the darker animes now.

Same here. I used to love Sailor Moon but now I'm in dark stuff like Hellsing, Death Note, and Higurashi.
My sister is a little pissed I watch stuff like that. :(

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Fenrir34 »

Ran08 wrote:Wow, that's cool. Haha. I started pretty much the same way, and not knowing that it was anime and not a cartoon too. Lol. :))

The first anime I remember is Ghost Fighter. I had lots of GF toys back then. My Dad liked it a lot, so he bought me so many action figures, coloring books, pillows, clothes, and just anything with GF! I'm a girl, but I played more with those action figures of dudes with diferent hair than my other dolls. :))

However, the first anime I really liked was Inuyasha. I sort of... grew up with it already. For as long as I could remember, I've always liked that anime.
And of course, Pokemon. I'm still a fan. :) My dad bought every single CD of the films. At least until the Sinnoh region. :)) He doesn't like the new Pokemon. But back then, we'd always watch it together. Haha.

In short, I guess I was never formally "introduced" to anime. I grew up with it. Lol. I watched anime as much as I watched cartoons. :))
That so awesome :D . Inuyasha was one of my first anime's and was the main reason I got into it. I still love that series. It's nice to see you like it as well."

And I to still like pokemon but more on the game side. I don't think the shows are horrible now but they are nothing compared to the first few season. Stuff like Digimon is now really bad. At least back then you could get into it. :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#28 Post by SundownKid »

I got into anime by watching TV cartoons, stuff like Pokemon and Yugioh when I was a young teen, until I stopped watching cartoons because they got boring. The first season of Pokemon was really good and got me hooked, it was probably the first "anime" I had ever seen and I started watching from about the first episode. The american made cartoons always felt a little trite in comparison. I kept watching for a few seasons afterwards, but it was a letdown. I never watched Digimon unfortunately, all my friends said it was a Pokemon ripoff :P

Then a few years later, I watched Spirited Away and realized that there was a more 'mature' side to anime. I also played a lot of jRPGs, which also made me like anime-styled stuff. And because I was a science nerd, I started to like mecha anime as well, which has cooler sci-fi than any western TV show.
Last edited by SundownKid on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Fenrir34 »

SundownKid wrote:I got into anime by watching TV cartoons, stuff like Pokemon and Yugioh when I was a young teen, until I stopped watching cartoons because they got boring. The first season of Pokemon was really good and got me hooked, it was probably the first "anime" I had ever seen and I started watching from about the first episode. I kept watching for a few seasons afterwards, but it was a letdown. I never watched Digimon unfortunately, all my friends said it was a Pokemon ripoff :P

Then a few years later, I watched Spirited Away and realized that there was a more 'mature' side to anime. I also played a lot of jRPGs, which also made me like anime-styled stuff. And because I was a science nerd, I started to like mecha anime as well, which has cooler sci-fi than any western TV show.
Pokemon and Yu gi oh due have a tendency to make people think that is what anime is. When I talk about anime some people say 'Isn't that the show pokemon?'.

The reason why some people don't like anime is because of shows like Pokemon. They don't know that they're are mature and very good shows like Spirited Away (Which is an awesome movie btw :D )

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#30 Post by SundownKid »

Fenrir34 wrote: Pokemon and Yu gi oh due have a tendency to make people think that is what anime is. When I talk about anime some people say 'Isn't that the show pokemon?'.

The reason why some people don't like anime is because of shows like Pokemon. They don't know that they're are mature and very good shows like Spirited Away (Which is an awesome movie btw :D )
I feel like cartoon-style anime is a 'gateway drug' for the more mature kinds. Just like comic books made a ton of people see superhero movies, shows like Pokemon will make a lot of the current generation love anime when few westerners had heard of it before. I don't think they're a negative impact at all.