How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
NeoAngelique
Regular

Re: How did you get into anime?

#61 Post by NeoAngelique »

The first time I noticed anime was probably when I was flipping TV channels. At first the channel just flipped away but when I looked back at it, I really loved the art and concept(you'd say) and then I asked my older sister about it. She explained that this type of 'cartoon' is an anime. The first anime I watched was InuYasha. Watching anime helped a lot in increasing my Japanese language skill.

SBG_Eric
Regular
Completed: Warhammer 40K (non-commercial MTG set), Tales of Symphonia (non-commercial MTG set)
Projects: Galactic Domain, Dragonfish Racers, *A Yet Unnamed Miniatures Wargame*
Organization: Sunbridge Games LLC
IRC Nick: SBG_Eric

#62 Post by SBG_Eric »

I hate to say it... but I'm an only child in an area where almost no one follows this type of stuff, it's a pretty jock-ish town overall. That said, the first anime I ever watched was Pokemon... UGH, I feel like I need to wash my hands after typing that. Then I saw the G.I.T.S. movie and Dragonball (dating myself a bit there) and life was far better.
Sunbridge Games Projects
Visual Novel Project (Pre-Dev): http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 60&t=33087
- Seeking Writer (5% per scenario) [1 Scenarios Remaining]

Galactic Domain (Post-Dev/Testing) & Dragonfish Racers (In-Dev): Projects on Hold // Require Artist(s)

Other projects TBA: 2+

Fantasy/Play-or-Die Light Novel (Outline/Drafting)

Crystaline Spade
Regular
Projects: Where the Wind Travels
Tumblr: crystaline-spade
Deviantart: CrystalineSpade

#63 Post by Crystaline Spade »

I started watching anime when I was 4 and saw Sailor Moon for the first time.
My mom says I used to be late going to preschool because I wanted to finish watching the episode...
Image an otome game.
Our-Sight(working title)

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#64 Post by Laiska »

As far as I can tell my interest in anime must be genetic, since my mom used to love shows like Astroboy and Speed Racer back in the 60s... But personally, the first anime I saw was probably Sailor Moon, when it first aired in '95 I think. Between that and later Toonami, and the awful enabler who was my mom, I was hooked. But hey, I have a degree in Japanese now, so it all works out, right? xD

moonlightmaiden

#65 Post by moonlightmaiden »

I had been watching a lot of anime as a child. Main one was Sailor Moon. It was a huge part of my childhood. However, I didn't know any of it was called anime. It wasn't until one night at my cousin's house where we watched Inuyasha (my first time watching it) on late night anime shows that I was told it was anime. Started watching every late night anime show I could and then went looking for more anime to watch ever since.

ahtramlegna

#66 Post by ahtramlegna »

My mother got me into anime... She likes Candy Candy, Heidi and while she watched those shows I started watching ... and then DBZ came and me and my brothers got inte the shounen demographic.

StellarOrb
Regular
Projects: Dreams of Anabelle, Forget [not] That Flower, Murder Express, Libr
Organization: Stellar Orb

#67 Post by StellarOrb »

I saw a video on Youtube about the most brutal anime characters. Shortly after, I watched Elfin Lied. That somehow led to me watching Dokuro Chan, which somehow led to me watching Haruhi Suzumiya. From there it was Clannad, Angel Beats, FMAB...
\|/
<xox>
/|\
Keep it stellar.

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#68 Post by thebackup »

Although it didn't really get me into anime, the first anime I watched was Sailor Moon, watched with my younger sis. That was waaay back in elementary school. That and Pokemon (I can't believe they're still releasing new eps to this day o_O ).

After several years of hiatus from watching anime, a friend of mine introduced me to Air, and I give that credit for re-sparking my interest in anime. Then started watching Kanon, Da Capo, School Rumble, etc... all the way to Imocho (the most recent one I finished).

Must find a new series to watch now!

Angie
Regular

#69 Post by Angie »

The first time I really gotten into anime, was when I accidentially saw one on the late program... I was still young and mom barely agreed on that, but I wanted to watchi it so badly, she finally agreed... It was "Fushigi Yuugi", a wonderfull anime! I love till today... :)

After that, a friend lend me some magazines and I started searching on the Net and stuff...
Writer | PL-ENG/ENG-PL translator| Renpy Coder

rmt_2011
Regular
Projects: Lacrimosa ~ Nightmare Terror, Deceptive Dreams
Deviantart: Pie-inator

#70 Post by rmt_2011 »

I got into it very stereotypically - watching it as a kid. There wasn't much choice of cartoons on TV at the time and anime was just there. I still remember the first ones I watched - Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Candy Candy (I'm sure there were more which I can't remember...like Super Pig or something...that show was weird. I also had a very strong sense of deja vu when I was reading Shugo Chara as if I've seen many of the scenes before so I guess I may have also seen that). I loved those shows. I also often may have accidentally come across an episode or a few of Pokemon (typical, I know). Well after childhood, that was pretty much it for a few years.
I liked to draw. I especially liked drawing people but my style was rather strange. I couldn't put my finger on why until I re-discovered anime and manga at the age of...(oh gosh when was this...) about 12. I remembered how I cursed my grandmother's work at kindergarden for letting me and my cousin miss out on the very last episode of Cardcaptor Sakura (they never showed repeats so it was a massive loss). This led me to one day, sitting in front of Google and wondering what the heck I should do with my time, to search how the series actually ended. It was predictable, yes, but I still wanted to watch it which is why I re-watched the entire series (same thing happened to Sailor Moon. I remember how amazed I was to remember the first arc of season 5 perfectly as in many episodes exactly). Around the same time, I was one of those kids watching Cartoon Network because why not...and of course I stumbled upon shows like Bakugan (I never finished watching season 4..hmm....I was half way through but...Bakugan kinda got bad after season 3...like really bad...too much mecha).
With all this jumbled up, I decided to also create DA and keep drawing anime. After spending some time on it and making new friends and talking to them, I figured that if I ever was to draw it more seriously and become a true fan - I would have to read the actual manga as in comics. So my years of being trapped in the manga world began...which led to watching more anime based on my favourite mangas (curse you, Full Moon and OHSHC).
That's pretty much it XD A pretty typical story but very important to me :D It got me into VNs!

Ordog
Regular

#71 Post by Ordog »

I used to watch some on TV, without realizing they were Japanese.

Then one day I found a manga at the library
I go a computer,
then internet,
Found out about One Piece having an anime, and watched all the episodes over a week.
Then I discovered I could watch Hunter x Hunter EVERYDAY and AS MUCH AS I WANT.

And I turned into what I am today...

LRH
Regular

#72 Post by LRH »

I was sitting at home, minding my business, relaxing after school, and then this bright, loud cartoon with a guy catching animals and making them fight for him came on, and the logo in the bottom right of the screen changed. Okay, I thought, this is completely different from everything I've ever seen, well, except maybe that cartoon from my very early childhood, Battle of the Planets, which looked kinda sorta like this. Hm. Oh well, don't feel like changing the channel. And then... Gundam Wing came on. I was hooked on that.

Yep, I'm the Toonami generation, but in the UK, not the US.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#73 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

I got into manga before anime mainly with Hikaru no Go and Cardcaptor Sakura. The there was the Toonami invasion: Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Outlaw Star, The Big O...classics. I watched the first Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) series in subtitles before it was dubbed years later...I've been a fan since.

Honest Critique

Sonata
IRC Nick: Bibi

#74 Post by Sonata »

I guess it started when I was 6...I moved to Mexico for a few years and that's where I was first exposed to anime. My first anime was Card Captor Sakura and then Pokemon came right after.
After I moved back to where I live now there was a time period where I forgot all about anime. Then by 5th grade I began to pick it up again and here I am, hooked ever since.

Aqacia
Regular

#75 Post by Aqacia »

After me and my family watched Avatar the last airbender i wanted to rewatch it and while i was searching for somewhere to watch it i came across a anime site. Curiously watched a few series and been into anime ever since :D