For the rest of your otaku life.
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Re: How did you get into anime?

#31 Post by Fenrir34 »

SundownKid wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote: Pokemon and Yu gi oh due have a tendency to make people think that is what anime is. When I talk about anime some people say 'Isn't that the show pokemon?'.

The reason why some people don't like anime is because of shows like Pokemon. They don't know that they're are mature and very good shows like Spirited Away (Which is an awesome movie btw :D )
I feel like cartoon-style anime is a 'gateway drug' for the more mature kinds. Just like comic books made a ton of people see superhero movies, shows like Pokemon will make a lot of the current generation love anime when few westerners had heard of it before. I don't think they're a negative impact at all.

You're lucky that you've met people who got into anime because of Pokemon but I'm not so lucky. Whenever I asked people both in school and online why they hated anime a majority of them said that it was because they thought that all anime was like Pokemon. I'm not saying it's a bad series. In fact it was a fun show when I was little.

I'm saying that if you're not at the age of liking pokemon, or series similar to it, and that they were the first animes you were introduced to, that you may think that all anime is like that and dislike it.

Many of us who loved or liked Pokemon were kids. Like now a days kids would love the show and would probably expand on other animes

But if your an adult and was just starting out, watching Pokemon would not be a good choice. Evangelion or Mushishi would most likely be better

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#32 Post by LVUER »

I must add though that though at first Digimon is an attempt to cash in money from monsters (Pokemon-fever), they later become quite original. The monster design and evolution concept become pretty original. Digimon is also one of the better "pokemon rip-off". Now, lots of later pokemon design seems to rip-off from Digimons'. What an irony...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#33 Post by Ran08 »

Fenrir34 wrote:That so awesome :D . Inuyasha was one of my first anime's and was the main reason I got into it. I still love that series. It's nice to see you like it as well."

And I to still like pokemon but more on the game side. I don't think the shows are horrible now but they are nothing compared to the first few season. Stuff like Digimon is now really bad. At least back then you could get into it. :)
Awww, yuuuup, I'm glad to meet another fan! And we're the same. That's so cool. Hahaha.

Ahaa, me too. My favorite region is Hoenn. I still like... watching the Advanced series sometimes. But I don't watch the Gen 5 anime anymore. Though I still got Black & Black 2 and I'm planning to buy Pokemon X or Y when it comes out. Lol. Even though I no longer like the anime, it's hard not to buy the games. :)))

Really? I used to have a Digimon DS game, but I never watched the series, so I... really don't know. Again, Dad just gave me that game.

Now I'm starting to realize that my dad is the cause of my ultimate love for anime, videogames, and Japan. Hahaha.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Fenrir34 »

LVUER wrote:I must add though that though at first Digimon is an attempt to cash in money from monsters (Pokemon-fever), they later become quite original. The monster design and evolution concept become pretty original. Digimon is also one of the better "pokemon rip-off". Now, lots of later pokemon design seems to rip-off from Digimons'. What an irony...

I agree with that. I really loved the first Digimon and then Digimon Frontier. But now it feel like what they are doing with the new Yu gi oh and are just trying to make money. (Why do they even call the show Yu gi oh when he's not even in it anyway .... :? )

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Fenrir34 »

Ran08 wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:That so awesome :D . Inuyasha was one of my first anime's and was the main reason I got into it. I still love that series. It's nice to see you like it as well."

And I to still like pokemon but more on the game side. I don't think the shows are horrible now but they are nothing compared to the first few season. Stuff like Digimon is now really bad. At least back then you could get into it. :)
Awww, yuuuup, I'm glad to meet another fan! And we're the same. That's so cool. Hahaha.

Ahaa, me too. My favorite region is Hoenn. I still like... watching the Advanced series sometimes. But I don't watch the Gen 5 anime anymore. Though I still got Black & Black 2 and I'm planning to buy Pokemon X or Y when it comes out. Lol. Even though I no longer like the anime, it's hard not to buy the games. :)))

Really? I used to have a Digimon DS game, but I never watched the series, so I... really don't know. Again, Dad just gave me that game.

Now I'm starting to realize that my dad is the cause of my ultimate love for anime, videogames, and Japan. Hahaha.
Inuyasha is a good series. A lot of people however don't like it and that's kind of sad.

As for pokemon, I haven't watched the new series. It kind of sucks. Love the games though and I am excitef for the new version to :) :)

I didn't play much digimon but loved the series and had a crush on Matt. Now he's older and married :cry: But with this new series, I just don't know what to say. It's pretty bad :(

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#36 Post by SundownKid »

I'm not saying Pokemon was a good anime for adults to get into anime. More like a show that causes kids to get interested in it later on in life when they pick up different types of anime.

Digimon is arguably cooler than Pokemon, design-wise - I just happened upon Pokemon first and stuck with it. I had a lot of fun with the games.

suikojay
Regular

#37 Post by suikojay »

Well, I think my first exposure was the Robotech series back in the late 80s, possibly early 90s. One of my brothers had the series, and I ended up watching some of it (maybe all of it, I don't remember anymore, lol). But that never really got me that interested in anime.
I think it wasn't until maybe the early to mid 90s when my brother introduced me to Ranma 1/2, and at the time, Sailor Moon was also airing on TV. These 2 things catapulted me into really liking anime, and I've liked it ever since.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Fenrir34 »

SundownKid wrote:I'm not saying Pokemon was a good anime for adults to get into anime. More like a show that causes kids to get interested in it later on in life when they pick up different types of anime.

Digimon is arguably cooler than Pokemon, design-wise - I just happened upon Pokemon first and stuck with it. I had a lot of fun with the games.

The games of Pokemon are way better then the show. Sometimes I end up getting hooked on them and that can be bad when one has school. :?

As for Digimon, I remember how I would always watch it and got angry when Mat left. (For some reason in anime they like to take away the good characters....) I also liked Pokemon Frontier. To me, at least, that was pretty original and crafty

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Fenrir34 »

suikojay wrote:Well, I think my first exposure was the Robotech series back in the late 80s, possibly early 90s. One of my brothers had the series, and I ended up watching some of it (maybe all of it, I don't remember anymore, lol). But that never really got me that interested in anime.
I think it wasn't until maybe the early to mid 90s when my brother introduced me to Ranma 1/2, and at the time, Sailor Moon was also airing on TV. These 2 things catapulted me into really liking anime, and I've liked it ever since.

That's cool.. I've only watched some of Ranma 1/2 but I've seen Rumiko Takahashi's othet stuff like Inuyasha. Sailor Moon was also a show I watched when I was younger. Back then it was magical for me and I was a bit inspired by it. Most of the other magical girl anime's aren't to good compared to Sailor Moon though. (Example being Mew Mew) but there are some that beat it.

Salior Moon though, in my opinion, will be one of the classics :D

Nyron

#40 Post by Nyron »

When I was 5 years old, I caught the last 15 minutes of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing The Movie: Endless Waltz. 12 years later, I have a Special Edition copy sitting on my shelf still in good condition. That was my entry into anime. Now I love all anime and have fallen in love with Japanese culture in general.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#41 Post by Fenrir34 »

Nyron wrote:When I was 5 years old, I caught the last 15 minutes of Mobile Suit Gundam Wing The Movie: Endless Waltz. 12 years later, I have a Special Edition copy sitting on my shelf still in good condition. That was my entry into anime. Now I love all anime and have fallen in love with Japanese culture in general.

That's a cool way to get into anime. Mobile Suit Gundam Wing is one of the anime's that got me into the stuff. It's my sister that got me into Japanese Culture

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#42 Post by hiko27 »

I never really knew how I got into it, just that I'm into it. Back when I was still in the Philippines, anime was really popular there and probably still is. Anime series were being dubbed in Tagalog and it aired in the morning on the local channels but I never watched dubbed anime sadly.

But anywho, I think I got into anime because of drawing and how my society has anime integrated into a kid's normal childhood. We had games or songs made up from anime series like Lupin and Dragonball. Anime was around us and I actually knew that anime was Japan even from a young age. Infront of my school, there was a store there that sold anime stickers/merchandise and since I liked drawing, I would buy from there and try to copy them to get better. I also had the internet so I would watch subbed anime on the internet but most of the time, I watched English subbed/dubbed anime on Animax Asia, which was my favorite channel then.

Now when did I get into it? I don't know tbh. I could barely remember my early years but I was sure that I was already into anime by the time I was in fourth grade. Probably even earlier I believe. I don't know if that's even possible but I've been into anime for a long time.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

emocookie41
Regular
Projects: Island Story

#43 Post by emocookie41 »

I was just a kid when I discovered Blue Gender on adult swim (was not supposed to be watching that channel). I knew my parents didn't want me to watch that channel but I snuck one of the spare tvs out of the garage and hid it in my closet lol At night I would watch Blue Gender, Trigun, and Inyuyasha until waaay past my midnight. I'd have the TV nearly mute just to watch.

Thanks to this I taught myself how to draw ^^

Aines445
Regular

#44 Post by Aines445 »

Well my story starts with Touhou-- Wait, what? Yup, if I weren't already interested in Touhou in the first place, I wouldn't touch anime with a ten foot pole XD. Don't get me wrong, I did watch anime like pokemon or doraemon, but that was before I knew the difference between a cartoon and an anime.

When I was taking interest in touhou music arrangements, a friend of mine was a big fan of Naruto. But most girls didn't really like anime and thought it was stupid, while I was in the neutral field. So that friend was asking me if I liked Naruto and if I had watched it, and I answered that I didn't know because I never saw any of that so she told me to try it out. Well, since I was already into japanese things it would be unfair to not at least give it a try, right?

So I went and watched the first episode and needless to say, I liked it. I was already ahead of my friend in terms of how many episodes I watched and she was four seasons ahead of me before I started ^^'. But then, I kind of started to want to see something else (by the time of shippuden though) so I watched Bleach and Fairy Tail, but then I got bored of them (except fairy tail) so I decided to look for more and more anime to watch. And that is how I got into anime. All I have to say is thank you, ZUN XD.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Fenrir34 »

hiko27 wrote:I never really knew how I got into it, just that I'm into it. Back when I was still in the Philippines, anime was really popular there and probably still is. Anime series were being dubbed in Tagalog and it aired in the morning on the local channels but I never watched dubbed anime sadly.

But anywho, I think I got into anime because of drawing and how my society has anime integrated into a kid's normal childhood. We had games or songs made up from anime series like Lupin and Dragonball. Anime was around us and I actually knew that anime was Japan even from a young age. Infront of my school, there was a store there that sold anime stickers/merchandise and since I liked drawing, I would buy from there and try to copy them to get better. I also had the internet so I would watch subbed anime on the internet but most of the time, I watched English subbed/dubbed anime on Animax Asia, which was my favorite channel then.

Now when did I get into it? I don't know tbh. I could barely remember my early years but I was sure that I was already into anime by the time I was in fourth grade. Probably even earlier I believe. I don't know if that's even possible but I've been into anime for a long time.
That's a pretty cool story. Lupin is Dragon Ball are quite popular as well. Sometimes I drop, kind of, out of anime in order to take a break. Still love it forever though :D