How did you get into anime?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Re: How did you get into anime?

#46 Post by Fenrir34 »

emocookie41 wrote:I was just a kid when I discovered Blue Gender on adult swim (was not supposed to be watching that channel). I knew my parents didn't want me to watch that channel but I snuck one of the spare tvs out of the garage and hid it in my closet lol At night I would watch Blue Gender, Trigun, and Inyuyasha until waaay past my midnight. I'd have the TV nearly mute just to watch.

Thanks to this I taught myself how to draw ^^
I had to sneak anime when I first say it with my sister. My grandmother would've never approved of us watching, and I really could blame her, but it was fun to watch. Zenki was the one we snuck the most often and Inuyasha was my first manga :)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by Fenrir34 »

Aines445 wrote:Well my story starts with Touhou-- Wait, what? Yup, if I weren't already interested in Touhou in the first place, I wouldn't touch anime with a ten foot pole XD. Don't get me wrong, I did watch anime like pokemon or doraemon, but that was before I knew the difference between a cartoon and an anime.

When I was taking interest in touhou music arrangements, a friend of mine was a big fan of Naruto. But most girls didn't really like anime and thought it was stupid, while I was in the neutral field. So that friend was asking me if I liked Naruto and if I had watched it, and I answered that I didn't know because I never saw any of that so she told me to try it out. Well, since I was already into japanese things it would be unfair to not at least give it a try, right?

So I went and watched the first episode and needless to say, I liked it. I was already ahead of my friend in terms of how many episodes I watched and she was four seasons ahead of me before I started ^^'. But then, I kind of started to want to see something else (by the time of shippuden though) so I watched Bleach and Fairy Tail, but then I got bored of them (except fairy tail) so I decided to look for more and more anime to watch. And that is how I got into anime. All I have to say is thank you, ZUN XD.

I guess it's common for guys to like anime more then girls but I've actually known many girls who love it. I got into it quickly because of my sister. Actually I think it was video games that did it for me because she used to be a video game freak. (Mean that in a good way. :D )

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#48 Post by Akitsuki »

I don't really remember but when I was a kid, some anime were aired on the TV and the beautiful art caught me interested. I remember I watched Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and even Ragnarok xD Some years after we got a TV cable which allowed me to watch Animax and it grew my love for anime until now =v=)b But these days I really wish to have enough time for just sitting and watching series of anime.

DatYandereGirl

#49 Post by DatYandereGirl »

Watched it on TV and then discovered it was called anime from another friend my friend used to date. I thought it was American cartoons too, but I was wrong.

Sailor Moon, DBZ, and other Toonami classics

RobertSilvermyst
Regular
Projects: Coming Home

#50 Post by RobertSilvermyst »

I got into anime after catching a momentary glimpse at the first episode of Record of Lodoss War on Toonami. After later seeing a repeat of that episode, I started to become hooked on animes.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#51 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'd known about it for a while but I wasn't sure where to start. Technically, my "first" anime were Sailor Moon (which I only remember catching a few episodes of) and Pokemon (but I didn't follow it religiously). I first got majorly into anime with...Shuffle!. Yeah, not exactly the best of the best choices, but it was decent. After Shuffle! came School Days (yeah, I really started with the best of the best didn't I? :roll: ). But I'd have to say my "anime gateway drug" was probably Higurashi.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

lilyrose
Regular

#52 Post by lilyrose »

Hmmm, well when I was in fourth grade we went to Hastings and I rented an Inuyasha game (because the pictures were pretty :3) and then that lead me to watch the show and that led me to watch more anime shows and so on XD
~ You know I used to be able to leap tall buildings using a jetpack? Then I got shot in the leg with an arrow T.T ~

Dream
Regular

#53 Post by Dream »

My sister, most likely.

She was kind of into anime when she was a teenager or so (i must have 12 at most those years) so i probably checked some of her stuff.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Fenrir34 »

Akitsuki wrote:I don't really remember but when I was a kid, some anime were aired on the TV and the beautiful art caught me interested. I remember I watched Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, and even Ragnarok xD Some years after we got a TV cable which allowed me to watch Animax and it grew my love for anime until now =v=)b But these days I really wish to have enough time for just sitting and watching series of anime.
I remember Cardcaptor Sakura. It was a good show but sometimes took a long time for things to get into motion, like the romance. That took forever

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Fenrir34 »

DatYandereGirl wrote:Watched it on TV and then discovered it was called anime from another friend my friend used to date. I thought it was American cartoons too, but I was wrong.

Sailor Moon, DBZ, and other Toonami classics

Toonami is how many of us ninety kids got into anime :)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Fenrir34 »

Caveat Lector wrote:I'd known about it for a while but I wasn't sure where to start. Technically, my "first" anime were Sailor Moon (which I only remember catching a few episodes of) and Pokemon (but I didn't follow it religiously). I first got majorly into anime with...Shuffle!. Yeah, not exactly the best of the best choices, but it was decent. After Shuffle! came School Days (yeah, I really started with the best of the best didn't I? :roll: ). But I'd have to say my "anime gateway drug" was probably Higurashi.
Shuffle and School Days aren't something I'd want to start off with either. They just weren't that well thought out

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Fenrir34 »

Dream wrote:My sister, most likely.

She was kind of into anime when she was a teenager or so (i must have 12 at most those years) so i probably checked some of her stuff.

Thanks kind of like how I started :D

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#58 Post by Fenrir34 »

lilyrose wrote:Hmmm, well when I was in fourth grade we went to Hastings and I rented an Inuyasha game (because the pictures were pretty :3) and then that lead me to watch the show and that led me to watch more anime shows and so on XD

Another Inuyasha watcher yay :D Inuyasha was my first manga. It's also what got my sister into anime though my first was Zenki, which wasn't the best choice for a kid to watch since it was a bit scary :?

Din Redfire
Projects: Arcadia's Tales

#59 Post by Din Redfire »

When I was a kid I had to convince my mother to let me watch animes because at that time, Pokemon started playing and there had been news about kids getting epilepsy attacks from watching it, and she asked me to turn off the TV whenever the show started ._.'

When I did convince her, I was hooked X3 It started with Pokemon, Digimon and then Card Captor Sakura. Good times ^_^

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#60 Post by sendo »

DBZ was my first anime. It aired when I was a kid although at that point I wasn't into anime just yet, I simply loved the cool battles in DBZ. Later in life, I discovered more anime thanks to my local TV airing more (Yuyu Hakusho, Pokemon, Rekka no Hono, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and many more).

What got me hooked into anime was One Piece. I still remember watching through episode 1 to episode 198123 (can't remember heh XD). Sadly, I don't get to watch a lot of anime these days compared to when I was younger. Hehe