Harvest Moon Games

For the rest of your otaku life.
Message
Author
User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Harvest Moon Games

#1 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:16 am

Anyone know of them? They are dating sim

Okay, so maybe a farm simulation game but you still get to date.

If you have played them then please tell me which one was you're first and the ones you liked and hated the most

My first was a Wonderful life. It was an okay game but moved very slowly (both versions), and I didn't really like my child but that could be because I married Muffy.

My fav harvest moon games are

Both Mineral Town games though once you stop trying to find your mate thing tend to get a little tedious

Magical Melody-Loved the kissing scenes and the gift events

Harvest Moon Ds-Though many people hate this game. I like getting my farm up

Animal Parade-Was easier yet harder then TOT but I actually got an animal

Rune Factor-Made by the same people and is basically the same except you can fight

Worst games

Grand Bazaar-Dear God! What did they do to this game....I just can't play it

Tot-It's not that bad but it was just to much...I mean i never even got a cow and I was one my second year...How depressing

As for the others well they are okay. Sunshine Island is okay but I hate how you can barely make money.

Island of Happiness was alright but was boring

Land of the Beginning is fun but has to much to do. In fact, I hate to admit it, but I haven't really started the game till my second year. During my first year I just got money. That's more sad then not owning a cow.... :cry:

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: FI: I, AFA, MMDB, XOD
Projects: Floret Bond, Lake of Voices, OL
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#2 Post by Googaboga » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:03 am

I'm not sure but I think this topic would be better in the Anime, Games, and Japan section.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Anyways I love the Harvest Moon. I collect the series :].

First game:
A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube.

Favorites:
AWL/AnWL, BTN/B&G, FoMT/MFoMT, DS/DSC, IoH, AP/ToT, HoLV, MM, FF, ANB, RF1 (if spin offs count. The first RF is counted as a HM spinoff but the other aren't HM games)

Once I didn't like that much:
SI, ToTT, PdHM

GrB, SNES, and HMGBC are fun but not my favorite. StH is cool but I haven't played it enough to count it as a favorite.
In-Progress:
XOXO Droplets
Floret Bond
Released:
A Foretold Affair

User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#3 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:15 am

Googaboga wrote:I'm not sure but I think this topic would be better in the Anime, Games, and Japan section.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Anyways I love the Harvest Moon. I collect the series :].

First game:
A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube.

Favorites:
AWL/AnWL, BTN/B&G, FoMT/MFoMT, DS/DSC, IoH, AP/ToT, HoLV, MM, FF, ANB, RF1 (if spin offs count. The first RF is counted as a HM spinoff but the other aren't HM games)

Once I didn't like that much:
SI, ToTT, PdHM

GrB, SNES, and HMGBC are fun but not my favorite. StH is cool but I haven't played it enough to count it as a favorite.
I thin you right about the topic thing, but I'm not sure either ....

But it's cool that someone else likes these games

It's cool that most of the game I like you like. Mineral Town and Back to nature are super fun and are what really got me into the game. Right now I'm playing ANB and it's fun but a little frustrating because there is so much to do and sometimes it can be overwhelming.

Why don't you like SI but like IOH. I enjoyed both but SI seemed to have more going for me. (Then again IOH felt more like a harvest moon game. Maybe I should rethink my choices.)

As for Rune Factory, those are very fun games and they are coming out with a new one that should be here next month with a female lead as well. :D

StH is alright. It's just I wish they didn't end it after three years and let you get married. They did that in the remake though :)

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: FI: I, AFA, MMDB, XOD
Projects: Floret Bond, Lake of Voices, OL
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#4 Post by Googaboga » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:28 am

Well the issue with SI is that they added things I didn't like or they changed things from IoH that I did like. So even if SI had more content most of it was content I didn't enjoy all that much. I didn't like the plot of SI as much (the Sunstones were too reminiscent of collecting Harvest Sprites in DS/DSC and Musical Notes in MM), I also didn't like that everything was so broken up and I had to take a boat to get everywhere, I didn't like the dialog or events as much in SI, I didn't like that they changed the weather system, I hated the Farm Degree feature, the pet mini games weren't that fun but if I wanted to win those festivals I had to practice, and there are probably a few other reasons why I didn't like SI very much.

Yeah Rune Factory 4 looks very good. I have it pre-ordered :>.

Actually Save the Homeland ends after just one year. I think that is cool but I just haven't gotten around to getting most of the endings.
In-Progress:
XOXO Droplets
Floret Bond
Released:
A Foretold Affair

User avatar
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Posts: 3353
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:51 am
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#5 Post by Taleweaver » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:29 am

Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#6 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:30 am

Taleweaver wrote:Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Thank you. Sorry about that

User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#7 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:36 am

Googaboga wrote:Well the issue with SI is that they added things I didn't like or they changed things from IoH that I did like. So even if SI had more content most of it was content I didn't enjoy all that much. I didn't like the plot of SI as much (the Sunstones were too reminiscent of collecting Harvest Sprites in DS/DSC and Musical Notes in MM), I also didn't like that everything was so broken up and I had to take a boat to get everywhere, I didn't like the dialog or events as much in SI, I didn't like that they changed the weather system, I hated the Farm Degree feature, the pet mini games weren't that fun but if I wanted to win those festivals I had to practice, and there are probably a few other reasons why I didn't like SI very much.

Yeah Rune Factory 4 looks very good. I have it pre-ordered :>.

Actually Save the Homeland ends after just one year. I think that is cool but I just haven't gotten around to getting most of the endings.
Oh okay. I hadn't played Save the Homeland in a while. It's back to nature for boy that ends after three years if you don't meet certain requirements.

And I get what you're saying. I hated the weather system and didn't make money at all. It took so long to get anywhere. And I didn't know that about the animal festivals :shock: . That's so stupid :? . I'll also admit that that I didn't really like the heart events either. In IOH there were mutiple evening and that actually made the game more fun.

Just talking about IoH is making want to play it. I need to go back to it and try it again. I did have fun with it and it's what made me get SI.

I'm really excited for Rune Factory 4. I wish they didn't push it back though

By the way, why do you like A New Beginning and Ds Cute. I know many like ANB but many dislike Harvest Moon Ds. I love Harvest Moon Ds cute though and still play it. Like I said I'm playing ANB right now but I'm very embarrassed about it.... :oops:

User avatar
merdeamour
Veteran
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 pm
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#8 Post by merdeamour » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:58 am

I love them. I'm currently trying to find HM games for the Wii here in my country /:

I loved DS Cute-- haven't played ANB though /: The latest HM game I played was A Tale of Two Towns on 3DS.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1277
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: FI: I, AFA, MMDB, XOD
Projects: Floret Bond, Lake of Voices, OL
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#9 Post by Googaboga » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:02 am

I'd like to replay IoH someday too c:. But for now I've got way too many other games to get to >.>.

I'm really excited for RF4 as well. But they didn't ever push it back. There was never an official release date to begin with. All the dates that have been thrown around were just estimates by other companies or other people and their guesses were simply wrong. I'm sure once XSeed says what the official release date is they will do everything they can to make sure it comes out at that time.

I like DS and DSC for the same reasons I like FoMT/MFoMT, the gameplay. All those games have a very similar playstyle and I like it a lot. I love how the farming works, and how the tools work, and how the mining works, and the fishing, and animals, etc. Plus DS/DSC have a bunch of events and that's always fun.

Don't feel embarrassed there is nothing weird about playing ANB. The reasons I like it has a lot to do with the fact that there is just a lot of content. You can do so much there isn't enough time in the day to get it all done. But that's nice, it just means you have to prioritize and I like that. Personally I think it's fun to be really busy in HM and not have a second waste.
In-Progress:
XOXO Droplets
Floret Bond
Released:
A Foretold Affair

User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#10 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:06 am

merdeamour wrote:I love them. I'm currently trying to find HM games for the Wii here in my country /:

I loved DS Cute-- haven't played ANB though /: The latest HM game I played was A Tale of Two Towns on 3DS.

Yay :D Another person likes Ds Cute. It really is a good game. As for Tale of Two Towns, it's fun but it's a little hard getting those flower events...I still can't get Cams purple event :(

User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#11 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:15 am

Googaboga wrote:I'd like to replay IoH someday too c:. But for now I've got way too many other games to get to >.>.

I'm really excited for RF4 as well. But they didn't ever push it back. There was never an official release date to begin with. All the dates that have been thrown around were just estimates by other companies or other people and their guesses were simply wrong. I'm sure once XSeed says what the official release date is they will do everything they can to make sure it comes out at that time.

I like DS and DSC for the same reasons I like FoMT/MFoMT, the gameplay. All those games have a very similar playstyle and I like it a lot. I love how the farming works, and how the tools work, and how the mining works, and the fishing, and animals, etc. Plus DS/DSC have a bunch of events and that's always fun.

Don't feel embarrassed there is nothing weird about playing ANB. The reasons I like it has a lot to do with the fact that there is just a lot of content. You can do so much there isn't enough time in the day to get it all done. But that's nice, it just means you have to prioritize and I like that. Personally I think it's fun to be really busy in HM and not have a second waste.

I guessed it was just a hope that it would come out this month because I didn't have any new games. I did get Tales of Xillia which is going to be fun, I hope

And that's the problem with games. The ones you love and finish you want to go back to but can't because you either of others to do or work. I play Ds Cute and other games again when I have the time, which soon I won't since school is starting soon.

But yes, I love both versions of Harvest Moon Ds and Mineral Town games. In Mineral town it feels like the relationship are more real and I like that. And like you said with the Ds version there are many events and that's what I love. I guess that's why I couldn't get fully into IoH because there were almost no events besides the heart events and that was sad because I did enjoy the game. So basically once I finished the main part there was nothing else

As for ANB, I really am into that game right now. The only problem is that when I got it I had no idea what I was doing, till I found fogu, and basically didn't do anything but woo Neil and get some money. Now I'm on my second years, things are finally getting done and Neil has a red heart. But, here's the embarrassing part, I've only seen one event of his because I haven't developed my town and just recently got Allen. I have animals but that's about it. So in the end it feels like my game didn't really start till year two .... :(

I also like being preoccupied but I guess I became frustrated and confused for a while with ANB because there was so much to do and I didn't know what to do first. It wasn't like Ds Cute or Mineral Town so I had to adjust.

But I must say thought that i like Neil, though he's kind of a jerk to me even though he has a red heart. But he doesn't beat Gray from Mineral Town which is were he got his personality from

User avatar
LVUER
King of Lolies
Posts: 4535
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 pm
Completed: R.S.P
Location: Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#12 Post by LVUER » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:28 am

I love this game. My favorite is the original SNES one. The simplest is sometimes the best. Though not bad, more modern Harvest Moon is sometimes too overwhelming for me...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

User avatar
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:39 am
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#13 Post by Fenrir34 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:31 am

LVUER wrote:I love this game. My favorite is the original SNES one. The simplest is sometimes the best. Though not bad, more modern Harvest Moon is sometimes too overwhelming for me...

I have the SNES version on my wii but haven't gotten to it yet. Is it fun?

And that's how it is for me whenever I start a new harvest moon game.

I always hope that the game will be a little more calming as I play it more

User avatar
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 778
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:47 am
Projects: Heartful Memory
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#14 Post by TsukiShima » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:53 am

Harvest Moon is a very peaceful and lovable game, which I always enjoy the most! It's one my favourite game series from childhood!

I don't have an NDS so I missed out almost half of the newest Harvest Moon and Ruin Factory series. So I'm stuck with the older versions of Harvest Moon. I'm tired to try and keep up anyway. :roll:

I only played the Harvest Moon series that were on PS1, PS2 and PSP platform.
Fenrir34 wrote:My first was a Wonderful life. It was an okay game but moved very slowly (both versions), and I didn't really like my child but that could be because I married Muffy.
I played this, and have to agree that it's very very slow paced. I stopped half way, and the only thing I enjoyed about this game is that we can sell stuff, and we actually can grow old with the kids.
Fenrir34 wrote:Both Mineral Town games though once you stop trying to find your mate thing tend to get a little tedious
I know the series regarding Mineral Town the most, and it's my favourite of all! I love all the characters including the heroes themselves, though what's disappointed me is that the child can only be a toddler. I didn't want to restart after all the hard work I've done in the entire game!

HM : Save The Homeland has the best graphic for me so far. I find it exciting when we can ride our horse around the village! The characters and plot lines are memorable and fun. It's fine for me that it stopped after we achieved our main goal, and we're granted a romantic scene with the girl we like! It gives fan more chance to expand their story, whether the hero will stay or not.

I know there's a sequel for this on PSP HM : Hero of Leaf Valley, but I don't enjoy the graphic there, and walking takes too much trouble. I stopped playing that game midway.

HM : Innocent Life is by far the most different series I have seen. I think it's quite good despite the bad critiques given to the game, however to me, I liked the story. Since we can't see directly the face of the characters, I couldn't quite love them expect the hero 'him'self. The farm is kinda too big to handle as well. I stopped midway because the time passed in the game is too slow.

I can't really name the HM series on GBA, but I did played them!

User avatar
LVUER
King of Lolies
Posts: 4535
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:57 pm
Completed: R.S.P
Location: Bandung, West Java, Indonesia
Contact:

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#15 Post by LVUER » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:17 am

Fenrir34 wrote:
LVUER wrote:I love this game. My favorite is the original SNES one. The simplest is sometimes the best. Though not bad, more modern Harvest Moon is sometimes too overwhelming for me...

I have the SNES version on my wii but haven't gotten to it yet. Is it fun?

And that's how it is for me whenever I start a new harvest moon game.

I always hope that the game will be a little more calming as I play it more
Actually, it's more boring than fun. Like I said, it's the most simple Harvest Moon. What can you say, it's the original and first one. There's no fancy sprite, no love rival, no over-aching plot/twist, no dog training, no horse race, no nothing. Just planting crops, only two types of farm animals. Really simple.

But that's why this game is perfect when you are being lazy and just want to pick-up and play a game to pass time.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users