Harvest Moon Games

For the rest of your otaku life.
rincewind
Regular
Deviantart: rinceman

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#46 Post by rincewind »

I'm a long time Harvest Moon fan. Love the idea of starting a life in a nice and peaceful rural town and make friends and even have a cute romance.

But I haven't honestly played all the Harvest Moon games because they are on consoles only. Played the original one for SNES, the GBA ones, the NDS ones. And the PS2 one, but I didn't like too much that one. Also briefly played the PSP one.
One thing that always bothered me is the lack of same sex romance. They even removed the "best friend" option in Cute.

Now, I'm happy because finally we got some really good Harvest Moonesque games for PC. At least!!
And from the three games that I was following, two delivered!! Wild Season sadly floped hard. But the other two are amazing.

Stardew Valley.
Taking a bit of the original and expanding it in every possible way, is a fantastic game with TONS of things to do. And looks really nice, with beautiful pixel art. The only downside for me is that the social part is a bit flat.

World's Dawn.
Unlike Stardew Valley, this one put more focus in the social part. And in the end felt more cozy and adorable because that. With a lot of wonderful characters to interact to and gain their friendship, some cute romances to pursue and a lovely and charming look this game really won my heart.

Anyone has tried them?

SHiNKiROU
Regular

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#47 Post by SHiNKiROU »

My first HM games was Friends of Mineral Town. Its music will later become my nostalgic triggers.
I played a Chinese translation of it, and I made it to the 10th year and married Popuri. I also read its strategy guides extensively, and made it to the 255th level of the mine while taking everything along the way. I also learned why 255, 65535 and 4,294,967,295 are important numbers.

Later on, I played the English version and also the female version.

I played HM when I was 8 years old. I don't think I can play HM again. Today, I find concrete jungles (rather than small towns) beautiful. For everything I do in HM, I will constantly be frustrated by the question "Why can't I automate this task?", but routine tasks and scalability ceiling is the point of the game.