Harvest Moon Games

For the rest of your otaku life.
latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Re: Harvest Moon Games

#16 Post by latte »

I'm absolutely hooked on A New Beginning right now. It's by far my favorite to date. I've never had a HM game where I actually look forward to all of the farming day, including taking care of crops, and because of all the blueprints, recipes and customization you never run out of things to do. The villagers all have different personalities, and are not nice all the time, but once I got used to that I started enjoying talking to everyone.
Plus they went crazy with the bachelor(ette)s! A gold digger loli? A possibly hypochondriac man who looks like he's 40? A reverse trap? A crazy possessive guy? Why not! And thank you Marvelous for finally introducing dating. I know this is controversial since a lot of people liked to woo everyone, but if we want the characters and their relationships to be more realistic, it was needed. If only they had included an improved date (walk) system, but you can't have everything.

...And Hina is the. cutest. thing. ever.
Fenrir34 wrote:But I must say thought that i like Neil, though he's kind of a jerk to me even though he has a red heart. But he doesn't beat Gray from Mineral Town which is were he got his personality from
Are you dating him? Because once you put a ring on it do, he magically goes from almost all tsuntsun to like 20% tsun 80% dere. I honestly was a bit disappointed because he's almost too nice when you date him, haha. (and personally I found Vaughn more of a jerk than Gray)

I also love AP, though the people seem a bit underdeveloped to me, which is a pity seeing how there are so many awesome characters -- Wizard is my favorite bachelor in the series. I like the variety of animals, the appearance of the places especially the island, and how you can have two children and they look like your spouse. The main storyline is also cute, if too short, and a bit different from most titles where you have to help rebuild the town.

Like Fenrir said, Mineral Town gets boring after you get married. I never even got to see my child crawl. As for IoH/SI... I felt like a masochist playing those games. They were so freaking hard. Everything spoiled at the speed of light. Recipes were terrible to obtain and Harvest Goddess forbid you wanted one of those from the bottom of the mine. If you didn't talk to people, they'd leave. It's like they went for a level of realism far beyond the previous games, and though this duo is one of the best loved in the franchise, I'm more than glad they toned down the realism in later installments. These were the only HM games that weren't relaxing to play IMO, though I did like them.

ToTT was weird as well. I liked the characters and many of the concepts, and loved the color palette and overall appearance of things, but the game itself was meh, and I didn't feel good with all the hate between the towns. And those weekly cooking festivals were a pain.

Right now I'm praying the next title is a 3DS one, though that's unlikely. And I can't buy a WiiU. Sigh.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#17 Post by Fenrir34 »

TsukiShima wrote:Harvest Moon is a very peaceful and lovable game, which I always enjoy the most! It's one my favourite game series from childhood!

I don't have an NDS so I missed out almost half of the newest Harvest Moon and Ruin Factory series. So I'm stuck with the older versions of Harvest Moon. I'm tired to try and keep up anyway. :roll:

I only played the Harvest Moon series that were on PS1, PS2 and PSP platform.
Fenrir34 wrote:My first was a Wonderful life. It was an okay game but moved very slowly (both versions), and I didn't really like my child but that could be because I married Muffy.
I played this, and have to agree that it's very very slow paced. I stopped half way, and the only thing I enjoyed about this game is that we can sell stuff, and we actually can grow old with the kids.
Fenrir34 wrote:Both Mineral Town games though once you stop trying to find your mate thing tend to get a little tedious
I know the series regarding Mineral Town the most, and it's my favourite of all! I love all the characters including the heroes themselves, though what's disappointed me is that the child can only be a toddler. I didn't want to restart after all the hard work I've done in the entire game!

HM : Save The Homeland has the best graphic for me so far. I find it exciting when we can ride our horse around the village! The characters and plot lines are memorable and fun. It's fine for me that it stopped after we achieved our main goal, and we're granted a romantic scene with the girl we like! It gives fan more chance to expand their story, whether the hero will stay or not.

I know there's a sequel for this on PSP HM : Hero of Leaf Valley, but I don't enjoy the graphic there, and walking takes too much trouble. I stopped playing that game midway.

HM : Innocent Life is by far the most different series I have seen. I think it's quite good despite the bad critiques given to the game, however to me, I liked the story. Since we can't see directly the face of the characters, I couldn't quite love them expect the hero 'him'self. The farm is kinda too big to handle as well. I stopped midway because the time passed in the game is too slow.

I can't really name the HM series on GBA, but I did played them!
Innocent Life was very different. I've learned to also never to always listen to critics since they hate Harvest moon ds but the players like it

Mineral town is by far, like you said, one of the best harvest moon game. I always go back to it and try to get my farm on top. Only problem is that once you have all the animals hearts up and the romance options befriended, and towns people, it kind of gets a little boring. If I do that i just restart it :D

As for hero a leaf valley, I don't mind that game. Save the homeland is better then that game though. It has a more emotional touch to it and it does have romance though you can't get married

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Fenrir34 »

LVUER wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:
LVUER wrote:I love this game. My favorite is the original SNES one. The simplest is sometimes the best. Though not bad, more modern Harvest Moon is sometimes too overwhelming for me...

I have the SNES version on my wii but haven't gotten to it yet. Is it fun?

And that's how it is for me whenever I start a new harvest moon game.

I always hope that the game will be a little more calming as I play it more
Actually, it's more boring than fun. Like I said, it's the most simple Harvest Moon. What can you say, it's the original and first one. There's no fancy sprite, no love rival, no over-aching plot/twist, no dog training, no horse race, no nothing. Just planting crops, only two types of farm animals. Really simple.

But that's why this game is perfect when you are being lazy and just want to pick-up and play a game to pass time.
:lol: That's a good way at looking at it. Simple and calm thing really can be fun, especially if you're me and get lazy sometimes :lol:

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Fenrir34 »

latte wrote:I'm absolutely hooked on A New Beginning right now. It's by far my favorite to date. I've never had a HM game where I actually look forward to all of the farming day, including taking care of crops, and because of all the blueprints, recipes and customization you never run out of things to do. The villagers all have different personalities, and are not nice all the time, but once I got used to that I started enjoying talking to everyone.
Plus they went crazy with the bachelor(ette)s! A gold digger loli? A possibly hypochondriac man who looks like he's 40? A reverse trap? A crazy possessive guy? Why not! And thank you Marvelous for finally introducing dating. I know this is controversial since a lot of people liked to woo everyone, but if we want the characters and their relationships to be more realistic, it was needed. If only they had included an improved date (walk) system, but you can't have everything.

...And Hina is the. cutest. thing. ever.
Fenrir34 wrote:But I must say thought that i like Neil, though he's kind of a jerk to me even though he has a red heart. But he doesn't beat Gray from Mineral Town which is were he got his personality from
Are you dating him? Because once you put a ring on it do, he magically goes from almost all tsuntsun to like 20% tsun 80% dere. I honestly was a bit disappointed because he's almost too nice when you date him, haha. (and personally I found Vaughn more of a jerk than Gray)

I also love AP, though the people seem a bit underdeveloped to me, which is a pity seeing how there are so many awesome characters -- Wizard is my favorite bachelor in the series. I like the variety of animals, the appearance of the places especially the island, and how you can have two children and they look like your spouse. The main storyline is also cute, if too short, and a bit different from most titles where you have to help rebuild the town.

Like Fenrir said, Mineral Town gets boring after you get married. I never even got to see my child crawl. As for IoH/SI... I felt like a masochist playing those games. They were so freaking hard. Everything spoiled at the speed of light. Recipes were terrible to obtain and Harvest Goddess forbid you wanted one of those from the bottom of the mine. If you didn't talk to people, they'd leave. It's like they went for a level of realism far beyond the previous games, and though this duo is one of the best loved in the franchise, I'm more than glad they toned down the realism in later installments. These were the only HM games that weren't relaxing to play IMO, though I did like them.

ToTT was weird as well. I liked the characters and many of the concepts, and loved the color palette and overall appearance of things, but the game itself was meh, and I didn't feel good with all the hate between the towns. And those weekly cooking festivals were a pain.

Right now I'm praying the next title is a 3DS one, though that's unlikely. And I can't buy a WiiU. Sigh.
I'll admit that first I was hesitant to play A New Beginning, especially when I screwed up my first year. But I'm more into now and I'm finally getting things started. Also the benefit of technically starting the game in my second year is that I have enough money to build

And that's kind of a disappointment with Neil. I mean sometimes he can be a little mean but that's actually why I like him. So when you go with him he acts like Cliff? That's not bad but a little sad. Allen is a fashion diva and I don't know how I feel about him yet. I'm really excited to see Amir. He was the only guy in Grand Bazaar that was good. The game is super long also but I still feel it has a little to much though that keeps the game going. I'm actually sad that there are no rivals but a part of me is happy since the rivals won't steal you're other crushes.

And Vaughn is probably the most Tsundere out of the guys with gray's personality but like Neil he changes majorly. I also like the dating aspect and you can actually see everyone's heart events but it would take a long time since you have to break up with your partner; though you can get back together.

Mineral Tow is such a fun game though. I really wish they added more so I can get to year three without getting two bored. My only way to kind of solve the boredom is to only woo one or two guys during the course of the three years

Tot is a bit of a bad game because I just couldn't get into it. I think Natsume did a better job with AP. But you're right that the characters aren't as good as those in ANB or MT. I haven't met the wizard yet but I hope I will soon. I love Toby and Chase the most.

I like SI and IoH but what you say is right. These games were made around the time that Natsume wanted to change things. They aren't bad and can be fun but sometimes I wish Natsume didn't add something like the stupid weather system in Si and add things like more events in IoH

latte
Regular

#20 Post by latte »

Fenrir34 wrote:I'll admit that first I was hesitant to play A New Beginning, especially when I screwed up my first year. But I'm more into now and I'm finally getting things started. Also the benefit of technically starting the game in my second year is that I have enough money to build

And that's kind of a disappointment with Neil. I mean sometimes he can be a little mean but that's actually why I like him. So when you go with him he acts like Cliff? That's not bad but a little sad. Allen is a fashion diva and I don't know how I feel about him yet. I'm really excited to see Amir. He was the only guy in Grand Bazaar that was good. The game is super long also but I still feel it has a little to much though that keeps the game going. I'm actually sad that there are no rivals but a part of me is happy since the rivals won't steal you're other crushes.

And Vaughn is probably the most Tsundere out of the guys with gray's personality but like Neil he changes majorly. I also like the dating aspect and you can actually see everyone's heart events but it would take a long time since you have to break up with your partner; though you can get back together.

Mineral Tow is such a fun game though. I really wish they added more so I can get to year three without getting two bored. My only way to kind of solve the boredom is to only woo one or two guys during the course of the three years

Tot is a bit of a bad game because I just couldn't get into it. I think Natsume did a better job with AP. But you're right that the characters aren't as good as those in ANB or MT. I haven't met the wizard yet but I hope I will soon. I love Toby and Chase the most.

I like SI and IoH but what you say is right. These games were made around the time that Natsume wanted to change things. They aren't bad and can be fun but sometimes I wish Natsume didn't add something like the stupid weather system in Si and add things like more events in IoH
Natsume only localizes the games in NA, the developer is Marvelous AQL :3

Neil keeps being rude/awkward at times but just the right amount I think. I don't recall Vaughn changing that much though, he only starts being somewhat nice around pink heart or so, so much that SI was the first HM where I dumped the tsundere and married someone else.
I like Amir but his assertiveness turns me off (he was still my second choice though), and Allen's a possessive monster when you date him. A lot of people like him, but you've been warned.

As for the Wizard, have you unlocked Yuri in ANB? She's like his female version: aloof, speaks very little, largely uninterested in people and is obsessed with a single thing, but becomes sweet (though still speaking little) later on. If you like tsunderes, you may also like Gill, though he's more serious and (when he likes you) chivalrous than mean and awkward. Chase is the true Gray-type, I think. Please don't get me wrong, I like AP character's very much, they're just underdeveloped, probably because there are so many marriage candidates.

My headcanon for why ANB doesn't have rivals is because it'd be something like
Allen and Rod (leaving Neil with confused feelings);
Michelle trying to marry Amir because she's a gold digger but the one she likes is Yuri (she says men are idiots after all, so maybe she's into girls?) whereas Amir himself has hidden feelings for Sanjay;
Soseki and Tina (not only their jobs are related, but he's always saying how youth is wonderful and Tina is the youngest-looking bachelorette);
Felicity with Clement because come on she's too attached to him (and we had Elli and Jeff in HM64).
Sorry if I ruined anyone's image of the game but this is so true in my mind :lol:

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Fenrir34 »

latte wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:I'll admit that first I was hesitant to play A New Beginning, especially when I screwed up my first year. But I'm more into now and I'm finally getting things started. Also the benefit of technically starting the game in my second year is that I have enough money to build

Natsume only localizes the games in NA, the developer is Marvelous AQL :3

Neil keeps being rude/awkward at times but just the right amount I think. I don't recall Vaughn changing that much though, he only starts being somewhat nice around pink heart or so, so much that SI was the first HM where I dumped the tsundere and married someone else.
I like Amir but his assertiveness turns me off (he was still my second choice though), and Allen's a possessive monster when you date him. A lot of people like him, but you've been warned.

As for the Wizard, have you unlocked Yuri in ANB? She's like his female version: aloof, speaks very little, largely uninterested in people and is obsessed with a single thing, but becomes sweet (though still speaking little) later on. If you like tsunderes, you may also like Gill, though he's more serious and (when he likes you) chivalrous than mean and awkward. Chase is the true Gray-type, I think. Please don't get me wrong, I like AP character's very much, they're just underdeveloped, probably because there are so many marriage candidates.

My headcanon for why ANB doesn't have rivals is because it'd be something like
Allen and Rod (leaving Neil with confused feelings);
Michelle trying to marry Amir because she's a gold digger but the one she likes is Yuri (she says men are idiots after all, so maybe she's into girls?) whereas Amir himself has hidden feelings for Sanjay;
Soseki and Tina (not only their jobs are related, but he's always saying how youth is wonderful and Tina is the youngest-looking bachelorette);
Felicity with Clement because come on she's too attached to him (and we had Elli and Jeff in HM64).
Sorry if I ruined anyone's image of the game but this is so true in my mind :lol:

I haven't gotten Yuri yet but by just looking at her she does remind me of the Wizard. I don't know why girls like Allen so much. He's not bad or anything, I'm just not into the possessive relationships. I like Neil and Rod. I like Rod because he's friendly and kind, and has an energetic type of presence. I don't mind Allen and he's seems good and also Amir, even though he might not face thing head on.

And Chase is like Gray a lot. I guess I like those type pf characters because they are so cute shy. Who did you marry btw instead of Vaughn? I am going to marry Denny or Elliot or maybe Shea. They are my faves. Vaughn is a little to dark for me but is still very handsome :oops:

I wish more people likes Rick or Elliot. I know they're not the best but they are good guys. Especially Rick, even though I love Kai in Harvest Moon Ds Cute :D

And I love your way of thinking about why they don't have rivals. Very funny :lol:

latte
Regular

#22 Post by latte »

Fenrir34 wrote:I haven't gotten Yuri yet but by just looking at her she does remind me of the Wizard. I don't know why girls like Allen so much. He's not bad or anything, I'm just not into the possessive relationships. I like Neil and Rod. I like Rod because he's friendly and kind, and has an energetic type of presence. I don't mind Allen and he's seems good and also Amir, even though he might not face thing head on.

And Chase is like Gray a lot. I guess I like those type pf characters because they are so cute shy. Who did you marry btw instead of Vaughn? I am going to marry Denny or Elliot or maybe Shea. They are my faves. Vaughn is a little to dark for me but is still very handsome :oops:

I wish more people likes Rick or Elliot. I know they're not the best but they are good guys. Especially Rick, even though I love Kai in Harvest Moon Ds Cute :D

And I love your way of thinking about why they don't have rivals. Very funny :lol:
I usually hate lovey-dovey guys, but for some reason I married Will in SI. He was pretty cute, and whereas I liked most other rival couples I couldn't stand the thought of him marrying Lily (another gold digger!). Though appearance-wise, Vaughn wins hand down. Silver/platinum/white-haired boys are the best. u///u

And haha I'm glad you like my silly delusions! I swear this game has so much more than just the surface xD

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Fenrir34 »

latte wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:I haven't gotten Yuri yet but by just looking at her she does remind me of the Wizard. I don't know why girls like Allen so much. He's not bad or anything, I'm just not into the possessive relationships. I like Neil and Rod. I like Rod because he's friendly and kind, and has an energetic type of presence. I don't mind Allen and he's seems good and also Amir, even though he might not face thing head on.

I usually hate lovey-dovey guys, but for some reason I married Will in SI. He was pretty cute, and whereas I liked most other rival couples I couldn't stand the thought of him marrying Lily (another gold digger!). Though appearance-wise, Vaughn wins hand down. Silver/platinum/white-haired boys are the best. u///u

And haha I'm glad you like my silly delusions! I swear this game has so much more than just the surface xD
White haired guys are attractive and that's what Vaughn is. And I don't mine Will. He's just a little boring for me. Not much personality
Have you played any games for forget me not valley :D

latte
Regular

#24 Post by latte »

Fenrir34 wrote:White haired guys are attractive and that's what Vaughn is. And I don't mine Will. He's just a little boring for me. Not much personality
I don't think so? The ones I've played are HM64, FoMT/MFoMT, IoH/SI, ToT/AP, ANB and a bit of ToTT (that game had so much potential, such a pity it wasn't well executed ;-;). I want to play Hero of Leaf Valley because I like the VN-ish aspect of having multiple scenarios, but I don't have a PSP.

Will is sweet, that's all; since I was disappointed at the tsundere, well, might as well try the polar opposite... He's a bit boring but I don't really like any of the other boys.

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Fenrir34 »

latte wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:White haired guys are attractive and that's what Vaughn is. And I don't mine Will. He's just a little boring for me. Not much personality
I don't think so? The ones I've played are HM64, FoMT/MFoMT, IoH/SI, ToT/AP, ANB and a bit of ToTT (that game had so much potential, such a pity it wasn't well executed ;-;). I want to play Hero of Leaf Valley because I like the VN-ish aspect of having multiple scenarios, but I don't have a PSP.

Will is sweet, that's all; since I was disappointed at the tsundere, well, might as well try the polar opposite... He's a bit boring but I don't really like any of the other boys.
I've played the ones you've listen. HM64 was fun but it was a little hard, which is a good thing. TOTT did have a lot of potential but they just didn't do a good job. AP is much better in the terms of ToTT. Like I said though is I love the mineral town series. They might get boring after a while but I still love them

But you don't like any of the other guys from Ioh/SI? What's wrong with them? :shock:

latte
Regular

#26 Post by latte »

Fenrir34 wrote:I've played the ones you've listen. HM64 was fun but it was a little hard, which is a good thing. TOTT did have a lot of potential but they just didn't do a good job. AP is much better in the terms of ToTT. Like I said though is I love the mineral town series. They might get boring after a while but I still love them

But you don't like any of the other guys from Ioh/SI? What's wrong with them? :shock:
There's nothing wrong with them, it's just that no one caught my attention, partly because the only designs I like are Vaughn's and Will's. I like most of the girls in SI though.
...And yet my favorite was Alisa so I was forever friendzoned. ;w; And then I couldn't bring myself to play ToTT long enough to marry her TwT

Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

#27 Post by Dragonstar89 »

I love Harvest Moon. Simply put. The first one I played was Wonderful Life for Playstation 2. That was the first time I ever heard and experienced it, and I became an instant fan. I will agree, the Wonderful Life ones were a bit boring at times because of the walking 0.1 mile per hour speeds. I then got a ROM of the first Harvest Moon gameboy on my phone, and played it until my finger burned from the phone over heating :lol: Then, I began playing Magical Melody (Wii 2008 edition) and I practically did everything in about a weeks worth of playing. Then, I found out about Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for the 3ds, and I took my money and finally purchased well, a 3ds! (I'm going to try and buy Animal Parade as well). I think my most favorite would be A New Beginning.
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Fenrir34 »

latte wrote:
Fenrir34 wrote:I've played the ones you've listen. HM64 was fun but it was a little hard, which is a good thing. TOTT did have a lot of potential but they just didn't do a good job. AP is much better in the terms of ToTT. Like I said though is I love the mineral town series. They might get boring after a while but I still love them

There's nothing wrong with them, it's just that no one caught my attention, partly because the only designs I like are Vaughn's and Will's. I like most of the girls in SI though.
...And yet my favorite was Alisa so I was forever friendzoned. ;w; And then I couldn't bring myself to play ToTT long enough to marry her TwT

Alisa was popular for a while and appeared in three games, one where you can marry her but have no kids. The Witch Princess however is pretty popular. She, besides that harvest goddess, has appeared in many games and is marriageable. I don't really like her, though she was okay in Harvest Moon Ds. But no one is as bad as the Harvest Goddess. She really irks me and I'm glad she's no longer a marriage option

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Fenrir34 »

Dragonstar89 wrote:I love Harvest Moon. Simply put. The first one I played was Wonderful Life for Playstation 2. That was the first time I ever heard and experienced it, and I became an instant fan. I will agree, the Wonderful Life ones were a bit boring at times because of the walking 0.1 mile per hour speeds. I then got a ROM of the first Harvest Moon gameboy on my phone, and played it until my finger burned from the phone over heating :lol: Then, I began playing Magical Melody (Wii 2008 edition) and I practically did everything in about a weeks worth of playing. Then, I found out about Harvest Moon: A New Beginning for the 3ds, and I took my money and finally purchased well, a 3ds! (I'm going to try and buy Animal Parade as well). I think my most favorite would be A New Beginning.

That's how I got into Harvest Moon by playing a Wonderful Life. :) And I know that the game can get really boring at times, and sometimes the characters are bland, but I always keep going back to the came. Magical Melody is a great game and inspired games like ANB AND SI. As for ANB, I'm really into it right now and I enjoy it, though it sometimes can get very frustrating. And you''ll really like Animal Parade by the way. The game is fun and it's a great way to pass the time. In my opinion, it's better then it's ToT, which is a rather bad game.

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#30 Post by hiko27 »

There's only one that I've played and will only play and that is Back to Nature. Ahhhh, my PSone years =u=

Now THAT game was addicting. I was so addicted to it that when my little bro broke our PSone somehow, I tried fixing it and it worked. Sadly, he broke it again. I just wanna punch him =n=

I don't know about the other Harvest Moon games (I've seen the one on the PS2 though and tbh, that one was lame in comparison to BTN for me) but BTN was awesome. I didn't actually care about the graphics; it was more about the gameplay and everything for me. But sad to say that when I bought BTN for the PS3 and played it, yeah, I played it for a while but I got bored eventually cause I can't use Gameshark for some things *coughupgradingmyhousecough* =n=
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov