Guilty Pleasure Anime

For the rest of your otaku life.
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Guilty Pleasure Anime

#16 Post by TsukiShima »

Caveat Lector wrote:@ TsukiShima and Fenrir34

The point of a "guilty pleasure" is that the work is either bad, mediocre, or just flat-out silly but you can still enjoy it despite, or because of, its silliness (like, for example, a trashy soap opera or a style-over-substance movie), yet still feel somewhat guilty for enjoying it because you know it's not that great. How can Fruits Basket and Mushi-shi be "guilty pleasures" if you consider them to be flawless?
Oh, I've misunderstood. If that's the exact term, then I guess I must say that I agree with this :
Fenrir34 wrote:Another series would have to be Dragon Ball z. I've recently gotten back into that and can't stop watching. I don't know why that is. Maybe because it's an anime from my child hood and I used to watch it with my sister all the time
Despite being a girl, I enjoyed this during my childhood years, up to collecting stickers and wanting someone like Goku to marry with. Now that I'm older, I realized how silly the characters and stories are, I think I would be ashamed to admit that I was a huge fan in public. But I still appreciated the moral values presented in the story, I mean, are there any other anime that involves the whole family tree to fight against a villain?

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#17 Post by Caveat Lector »

Eh, it happens. I edited the first post to clear things up.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

DatYandereGirl

#18 Post by DatYandereGirl »

InuYasha's anime. Oh god, I used to obsess over it like mad back around like 2005 or so. I really think this was the anime I watch at least once a year for the heck of it.

Also, Mirai Nikki's anime was pretty bad but I watched it at least a few different times with friends online.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#19 Post by Sapphi »

ShippoK wrote: Back on topic; There is only one answer for this whole thread.
INFERNO COPPU

Inferior plot made by a 4-year old, horrible animation and art, refrences and jokes you just gag over and die on!--
But gosh darn it; is it amazing none the less!
I want to thank you for linking to this, because I had never heard of it before!
This brand of humor is right up my alley and I absolutely loved it. Totally not a "guilty" pleasure for me. :P

(Also, the theme song is CATCHY!)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#20 Post by Fenrir34 »

TsukiShima wrote:
Caveat Lector wrote:@ TsukiShima and Fenrir34

The point of a "guilty pleasure" is that the work is either bad, mediocre, or just flat-out silly but you can still enjoy it despite, or because of, its silliness (like, for example, a trashy soap opera or a style-over-substance movie), yet still feel somewhat guilty for enjoying it because you know it's not that great. How can Fruits Basket and Mushi-shi be "guilty pleasures" if you consider them to be flawless?
Oh, I've misunderstood. If that's the exact term, then I guess I must say that I agree with this :
Fenrir34 wrote:Another series would have to be Dragon Ball z. I've recently gotten back into that and can't stop watching. I don't know why that is. Maybe because it's an anime from my child hood and I used to watch it with my sister all the time
Despite being a girl, I enjoyed this during my childhood years, up to collecting stickers and wanting someone like Goku to marry with. Now that I'm older, I realized how silly the characters and stories are, I think I would be ashamed to admit that I was a huge fan in public. But I still appreciated the moral values presented in the story, I mean, are there any other anime that involves the whole family tree to fight against a villain?
Lol not really. And the show is a little silly but it's a classic with a good main character who helped created characters like Naruto

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]

#21 Post by Caveat Lector »

@ Fenrir34

So it's not a guilty pleasure for you, then?
Reader Beware!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#22 Post by azureXtwilight »

Mirai Nikki. Everything is horrible, but hey! Girl slashing people!

Dream
Regular

#23 Post by Dream »

To love Ru is pretty cute, and ecchi/funny.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Caveat Lector »

So would you say you thought To Love Ru was bad/mediocre but you could still enjoy it despite its ecchi elements?
Reader Beware!

Dream
Regular

#25 Post by Dream »

"Mediocre" fits To Love Ru almost perfectly, yeah. The writing, the animation, the direction... It's all so typical and predictable you can't take it seriously. At least not the drama.

And there were indeed a few enjoyable elements to it here and there, primarily the ecchi elements (probably the biggest guilty pleasure in it) and the cute designs. Characters and writing tend towards silliness most of the time, but nothing too bad for the usual harem anime.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#26 Post by LVUER »

Anime huh... that means I can't include Spongebob on this one.

Anyone ever hear Yurumate (the original one, not Yurumate 3D). The drawing is bad (just like a flash animation), the plot is just silly, the characters are common and not that interesting... so the whole anime depends on the joke and slice-of-life silly plot.

But I'm quite enjoying this one... This anime makes me think that even I can make an anime if it's only this bad ;P
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

nefferinthia
Regular

#27 Post by nefferinthia »

Tokyo Mew Mew is pretty much standard magical girl fare, and it's not really a great anime on any front, but I enjoy it thoroughly nonetheless.

But honestly, I have been blessed with stupidity in this case. I usually don't notice plot holes and can completely disregard them. That's why I can enjoy things like Mirai Nikki and Code Geass more than most people haha.

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#28 Post by Noire »

Hakuouki Shinsengumi - all series.
Brothers Conflict.. and pretty much all otome series that are well drawn.

It really pains me when I hear some dialogues, but I watch those series for pretty boys :D

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#29 Post by Sharm »

Toriko. It's all about a world where gluttony gives you super powers and everything is over sized and ridiculous and stereotypically shonen. I'm ashamed to admit that I watch it religiously. I can't even explain why I enjoy watching it.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#30 Post by Tag- »

Hmm, for me it would probably be the Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro anime //dodges metaphorical tomatoes.
I've heard so many bad reviews about how it butchered the manga and was just awful/cheesy in general, but for some odd reason I still enjoy watching it so much :'D.

Also, Beyblades, the first series! Anime with lame-ish gimmick and weak/repetitive plot and annoying main character? Check!
But would I be willing to sit through the entire series in on go? Yes.
PM me if needed