Guilty Pleasure Anime

For the rest of your otaku life.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Guilty Pleasure Anime

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

What are some of your "guilty pleasure" anime titles? That awful, poorly-written poorly-made mess of a show you marathon through at least once a year? That one title that makes you feel dirty and ashamed just for admitting you like it because of how mediocre or flat-out bad it is but still like it nonetheless?

For me, I'd probably have to say the Ookami Kakushi anime. The last few episodes in particular are like watching a beautiful train wreck in slow motion. And when I heard Sentai picked it up for a Region 1 release, I pre-ordered it. At some point, I'm going to make my friends sit through the entirety of it from beginning to end and listen to my snarky commentary. :twisted:

Oh, and Mirai Nikki. It personifies junk food, but I also have a bit of a soft spot for the manga since it was the first serialized manga I followed to the very end, and I do like the anime's attempts to make the story better in some places even if the end result isn't perfect. I'd call it "turn your brain off" anime, but why would I want to? Keeping my brain on is what makes guilty pleasures fun!
Last edited by Caveat Lector on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Guilty Pleasure Anime

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

For me, it's Air, Clannad, and Kanon. Just watching the op makes me want to watch each one all over again~! Plus the soundtracks for each are amazing (But you have to expect that from Key!)
i'll cry if you yell at me

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#3 Post by Kato »

SAO! It's not the best anime made and there's almost a universal hate for an OP MC but I could watch and rewatch it over and over. I don't know if its the bright colours or my inner gamer coming out but it's one that never seems to bore me... Also GTO.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

It's been a while since I actually watched much anime (the only one I've recently been following is Gin no Saji).

I'd have to say my guilty pleasure is the Venus Versus Virus anime adaption. It's... not that great. I think the opening song was awesome, but the plot was weak, there's no real yuri even though it has that genre label applied to it (and yuri isn't even a genre I'm interested in), but for some reason I really love the main character Sumire and the art designs are nice. Watching the anime made me collect all 8 volumes of the manga and to this day it's the only complete manga series I have. The manga itself has wonderful line work and fashion designs, the expressions are full of life, and it's a little more cohesive in plot compared to the anime.

Only a little though, objectively the author doesn't know how to write a compelling story and the manga panels are cluttered and don't make a good use of dynamic space. But man, I still love Venus Versus Virus.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#5 Post by megatuga »

Ohh... so many...
There's Accel World that I can't get enough of that last episode no matter how many times I see. There's Sakurasou no pet na kanojo which is so bittersweet that it hurts. And there is also C - The money of soul and possibly control which is... in one word... EPIC.

And on a lesser degree there is Infinite Stratos and Seitokai yakuindomo

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

megatuga wrote:...Seitokai yakuindomo
Agreed. It's not a genuinely good series, but it amused me.

Nyron

#7 Post by Nyron »

Guilty Pleasures huh? Guess for me that'd be Highschool of the Dead, Highschool DxD, The World God Only Knows, any series from Key, and Free!

Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

#8 Post by Fenrir34 »

Mushi-shi is one of them. I keep going back and watching that series. In fact I'm going to watch it now. I love Ginko. He's just got an attractive personality. Story and writing, in my opinion, are perfect.

Another series would have to be Dragon Ball z. I've recently gotten back into that and can't stop watching. I don't know why that is. Maybe because it's an anime from my child hood and I used to watch it with my sister all the time

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#9 Post by Semienigma »

Starry sky! There are just so many cute guys in it!! >.> and um...uta no prince-sama is the guiltier pleasure for me cuz its pretty boys that sing!!
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#10 Post by TsukiShima »

Fruits Basket.

It's one of my old favourite of all time, and I really, really love the story, either manga or anime (since the anime is just halfway of the story, while the manga is full till the end). It's not about fighting and stuff... but it teaches you about the positive side of life, love and family. You can even see a little part of yourself in the characters. I cry whenever I read the manga again, even until now. The anime totally inspired me.

I don't think there's any other that can match up with this anime except Angel Beats! and Clannad (sadly as much as a fan, I never watch Clannad, yet).

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]

#11 Post by Caveat Lector »

@ TsukiShima and Fenrir34

The point of a "guilty pleasure" is that the work is either bad, mediocre, or just flat-out silly but you can still enjoy it despite, or because of, its silliness (like, for example, a trashy soap opera or a style-over-substance movie), yet still feel somewhat guilty for enjoying it because you know it's not that great. How can Fruits Basket and Mushi-shi be "guilty pleasures" if you consider them to be flawless?
Reader Beware!

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#12 Post by ShippoK »

Caveat Lector wrote:@ TsukiShima and Fenrir34

The point of a "guilty pleasure" is that the work is either bad, mediocre, or just flat-out silly but you can still enjoy it despite, or because of, its silliness (like, for example, a trashy soap opera or a style-over-substance movie), yet still feel somewhat guilty for enjoying it because you know it's not that great. How can Fruits Basket and Mushi-shi be "guilty pleasures" if you consider them to be flawless?
I was wondering why everyone was posting such silly things they felt a pleasure towards.
And here I thought people just really thought clanned was terrible.

Back on topic; There is only one answer for this whole thread.
INFERNO COPPU

Inferior plot made by a 4-year old, horrible animation and art, refrences and jokes you just gag over and die on!--
But gosh darn it; is it amazing none the less!
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

Jengo

#13 Post by Jengo »

Kashimashi (Girl Meets Girl) and Highschool of the Dead (HOTD).
I felt that they were both really good, but Kashimashi does have some cheesy dialogue, sometimes, and HOTD is HOTD.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Caveat Lector »

By that, do you mean you thought they were good and yet bad, or you thought they were good with the occasional cheesy line of dialogue?
Reader Beware!

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#15 Post by megatuga »

gekiganwing wrote:
megatuga wrote:...Seitokai yakuindomo
Agreed. It's not a genuinely good series, but it amused me.
I need to give you an highfive that will cause thunder XD
It's exactly what I think of SYD. It's not exactly great but, I don't know why but I can't stop smirking at the character's antics. Especially Shino's and Suzu's.