Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

Re: Watamote!

#16 Post by Dragonstar89 »

It's sad that Episode 12 was the last one of the series. I wonder what the special episode is like, since it comes out next year in some sort of pack with the manga (I can't remember exactly if it was with the manga, or some sort of figurine..) :/
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

Dragonstar89 wrote:It's sad that Episode 12 was the last one of the series. I wonder what the special episode is like, since it comes out next year in some sort of pack with the manga (I can't remember exactly if it was with the manga, or some sort of figurine..) :/
Episode 11, 12, or 13 is the last episode of many anime in Japan ;P If the rating (and sales) is good, then you can expect season 2 coming around.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

#18 Post by Dragonstar89 »

LVUER wrote:
Dragonstar89 wrote:It's sad that Episode 12 was the last one of the series. I wonder what the special episode is like, since it comes out next year in some sort of pack with the manga (I can't remember exactly if it was with the manga, or some sort of figurine..) :/
Episode 11, 12, or 13 is the last episode of many anime in Japan ;P If the rating (and sales) is good, then you can expect season 2 coming around.
I know that, I've watched a ton of half-season animes to find that out. I just liked the series a lot :p
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

darkrchaos
Regular
Completed: A Few
Projects: Moe Wars: Crimson Samon
Deviantart: darkrchaos

#19 Post by darkrchaos »

The series was okay, but I didn't really care for it.

WizzyGameMaster
Regular
Projects: Misfits. Summon!
Deviantart: WizzyGameMaster

#20 Post by WizzyGameMaster »

Watamote was okay, but I found it to be very depressing.
Then again, Tomoko is like a more insane version of me. I don't exactly like being reminded that I'm basically a loser.
So many times while watching every episode, I would ask myself, "Why am I watching this?" And the five minutes later I would ask, "Why am I still watching this?"
I still finished it and don't regret watching it though. It's nowhere near my favorite, but it's definitely not the worst that I've seen.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#21 Post by Caveat Lector »

I just finished watching it, and my GOD…I. Was. Tomoko. Not completely, not absolutely, not 100%....more like…90%-ish. I liked the anime overall, but it hits too close to home for me to really dub a “favourite”, especially so in the last few episodes.

Also, I know this was replied to already, but I just thought I’d expand my thoughts towards this comment:
I also find it unsettling that the series tries so hard to make it clear that it's all tomoko's fault, even though that doesn't really make sense.
Actually, as mentioned, it makes a lot of sense. Tomoko expects life to automatically roll out the red carpet for her once she hits high school instead of making a proactive effort to change it herself, but even then, she couldn’t, because her anxiety is just THAT awful…then blames her lack of popularity on her classmates. She tries to change, but also struggles at changing, and when she ends up embarrassing herself, either becomes depressed or bitter towards the world—and it’s the latter that makes her struggle less painful for her. She never stops trying to change and tries to keep a “improve the future, don’t dwell on the past!” attitude, but even then, improving said future is a lot easier said than done. Tomoko being responsible for her own misery IS the point.

It’s hard to explain, but basically, if you either had a really bad social experience where you were bullied for several years and/or had a bad falling out with your friends (as was my case), or have an especially horrible case of anxiety, you tend to isolate yourself from other people and mentally dub them as “assholes” even before they’ve had a chance to say or do anything wrong to you specifically, so you can justify never having to actually deal with your loneliness. But at the same time, you still want to be friends with these “assholes”, and you begin to realize that not even this defense mechanism is absolutely impenetrable…so you continue to dub them as “assholes” nonetheless. And then, when just one of them actually DOES slip up and make a genuine asshole move, this just “confirms” that you were right to view them all with suspicion and distrust.

It’s self-contradictory and makes no sense, but when you’re a socially awkward teenager, it makes a ton of sense. Especially so if your social issues go beyond just simply being shy and awkward. It took me until I was seventeen before I began to realize, “hey, maybe this line of thinking is actually total bullshit!” (and even then, I still have my moments from time to time, but the important is gaining wisdom and maturity with age).
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Ana
Regular

#22 Post by Ana »

I watched it a year ago at a recommendation of a friend, I think. We all watched it around the same time. Sad thing is, I was able to relate to some of the stuff that happened to her (not all, if the ant scene happened to me, I think I'd cry lol). I think they should've given her some type of break at the end. Maybe give her the boyfriend she wanted, or something. Then again, that might mean that a second season might come out?

I found the parts when she was playing the reverse harem games to be hilarious. They really don't make many skinship games, do they? Well, at least for girls. The only one that I've played was Tokimeki Girl's side, or something like that, and for the guy I went for, there was only one time where I actually got to press on him. Then again, the upcoming Fire Emblem is going to have skinship...

LavenderLotte
Projects: Mojo Pin
Organization: Flȇrdelē Leider

#23 Post by LavenderLotte »

One of the greatest anime of the past ten years. Tomoko has the potential to be a masterwork of a character if they decided to go a more serious route.
“I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things.” ― Tom Waits

haxsu
Projects: Neko Club
Organization: Neat Studios
Github: haxsu

#24 Post by haxsu »

I have to agree with LavenderLotte. It's been a while since I've seen such an interesting and relatable character in an anime series. Can't wait to see what they do with her.

nekobara
Regular

#25 Post by nekobara »

I liked Watamote! a lot, probably mostly due to the fact that I can relate to Tomoko quite a bit. I wish it weren't so, but I am a social outcast. I am also a complete mess who tends to daydream a lot and is very self-conscious and awkward. Tomoko just resonates with me. If she were a real live person, I would definitely want to be friends with her. We could be weird together. Haha. The thing is, I was so rooting for her to get a boyfriend or at least a guy friend with dating potential. It almost hurt me physically every time her endeavors failed and she was left embarrassed. At least that lovely student council president seemed interested in being her friend, so it looked like Tomoko might have a friend in the future. The anime was way too short, though. I wanted more Tomoko!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#26 Post by Mammon »

Watamote was very relateable at first, and I surprised what they did with her once this novelty started to wear off; they showed us that Wakamote deserved everything that came to her. Whereas the first episodes showed a girl wanting what she may get if only it weren't for her anxiety, after a while she kept doing things that showed her to be a rather terrible and egocentric person in real life. What I mean by this; in the beginning she had some disturbingly violent thoughts, bullied her brother and was being a perv to her friend, but all of that didn't feel wrong. But when the class started to prepare for the festival and events like such, she acted really selfishly thus justifying others to avoid her. Bold move from the makers, I have to admit.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

GissyEva
Tumblr: chibigissy
Deviantart: Giss-chan
Soundcloud: GissyEvaa

#27 Post by GissyEva »

Okay, I just wanna say that I like Watamote but OH GOLLY GEE, did I wanted to scream when main character does something REEEAAALLY..... omg, I had second-hand embarrassment watching it, lmao. But in the end, I kinda enjoy it for whatever reason. ^^;