Dragonstar89
Regular
Projects: TBA
Organization: Self
IRC Nick: dstar89
Deviantart: senpai-jake

Watamote!

#1 Post by Dragonstar89 »

Anyone here a fan of Watamote? (a.k.a No matter how I look at it, it's your guy's fault I'm not popular).

I started watching the anime series about 4 weeks ago, and began reading the manga a couple weeks after that. What do you think of the anime/manga so far? I think it's really funny, but it also is a bit sad, to me that is.
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

Armee
Veteran

Re: Watamote!

#2 Post by Armee »

Oh I enjoy this anime very much, it had humor and such in it. I love how the relationship between the Kuroki sibling workout, I just watched the newest episode. Too bad for Tomoko that she will have to join the school festival. I'm also hope that she'll achieve something in the end. I like the OP song too

suikojay
Regular

#3 Post by suikojay »

I stopped at ep 6 because I thought it was way too episodic; seemed like there wasn't any kind of plot advancement or character development for Tomoko. Does that change at all from ep 7 onwards?

I do kinda like the OP song, though.

Dragonstar89
Regular

#4 Post by Dragonstar89 »

suikojay wrote:I stopped at ep 6 because I thought it was way too episodic; seemed like there wasn't any kind of plot advancement or character development for Tomoko. Does that change at all from ep 7 onwards?

I do kinda like the OP song, though.
If you read the manga some (I didn't read all of the current manga, just some of the latest chapters) she begins hanging out with more people, but her way of 'jumping the gun' makes them not want to be around her. I'm guessing the series is about her needing to build on her own social abilities, instead of blaming it on others. That's why it's meant to contradict the title 'No matter how I look at it, it's your guy's fault I'm not popular."

It's one of those series that builds up to the whole plot slowly, because they focus on entertaining the watcher more while giving little tidbits of the idea throughout episodes. But , episode 7-10 (10 being the latest episode) still shows her failing at becoming social, but something in episode 10 intrigued me. It's the next semester and she is seated in the middle of the class right by all those popular kids she calls 'bitches' and 'idiot.' One guy attempts to talk to her, but she doesn't reply. Throughout that episode she finds a place by the roof entrance that she stays at and it makes her happy. Also, I think in episode 7 (I'm not sure) but the boy who gave her the umbrella started to talk to her at the library and ended her name with "-chan" (which by the way symbolizes a close acquaintance, relative, or friend.) So I guess her personality is that she prefers being alone, but her mind wants her to be popular.

With that said, you should still keep up with it. It's still really funny and very interesting :)
Beginning pre-production work on a project in Renpy. After being away for 5 years, it's time to get back in the game 8)

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#5 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

because they focus on entertaining the watcher more while giving little tidbits of the idea throughout episodes
and this is why I haven't been watching. I'm waiting for my friends to tell me if the anime ever actually gets to the point.

honestly, I think this one spends too much time focusing on just tomoko's misunderstandings. for a gag anime that's a pretty narrow scope and it makes the jokes get pretty repetitive. I also find it unsettling that the series tries so hard to make it clear that it's all tomoko's fault, even though that doesn't really make sense.

I do like the choice for the mc's name though.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#6 Post by MaiMai »

KimiYoriBaka wrote:
I also find it unsettling that the series tries so hard to make it clear that it's all tomoko's fault, even though that doesn't really make sense.
It makes a lot of sense actually. People who are not self-aware will do a lot of stuff Tomoko does (I say this as someone who's probably at least had ugly thoughts about other people like her).
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

suikojay
Regular

#7 Post by suikojay »

Since I already watched thru half the series, I'll probably finish it; though, very reluctantly, lol. While I will admit there are a few "lol" moments here and there, the majority of the comedy parts for me make me squirm and shake my head, and I just feel like the author just really wants us to feel sorry for Tomoko. Out of the 9 shows I'm watching this summer, this and Fate/Kaleid Liner (stopped at ep 2, lol - but I'll get back to it eventually I think) are my least favorites of the season.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Tomoko is very human. I think she's very similar to us... no, I mean to me, so may be that's why I'm sometimes a bit uncomfortable when reading/watching it. It's a pretty good show though... One thing for sure is that at least she's trying to change.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

suikojay
Regular

#9 Post by suikojay »

LVUER wrote:Tomoko is very human. I think she's very similar to us... no, I mean to me, One thing for sure is that at least she's trying to change.
Yeah, the things that go thru her head are a bit extreme/overly dramatic at times - for comical purposes I'd imagine; Though, I do agree that sometimes she can be pretty similar to some of us (some more than others) by what goes through her head. Unfortunately, even some of the things that I can relate with Tomoko, I don't find them very entertaining to watch, but that's just me, I guess.
Also, I must say that I'm almost surprised her brother hasn't beat her up or anything yet with the kind of non-sense he has to endure from her, lol - some of those scenes actually are a bit funny, in particular
when she put pictures of herself all over his room :mrgreen:
I just hope to see her character grow at least a little bit more before this season/series finishes.

Dragonstar89
Regular

#10 Post by Dragonstar89 »

I just watched the most recent episode and I could say I didn't notice her ability to "talk to others" (well, at least to friendly people) seems to have grown since the first episode. I think they may be trying to make the show in a way where it's hard for the watcher to notice her grow has a character. It's possible, but it's not quite obvious, that's just my opinion anyway.

Throughout all of episode 11, I figured she was going to screw things up again majorly, but it didn't happen this time! :D So I guess her character's growing slowly. Still perverted and kind of creepy, but more people are reaching out to her :p

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

Since I haven't watched the anime, I can't say much... but in manga (which already far ahead in the story), Tomoko indeed grows... even just a little bit. Like I said, she's trying hard to change. But it's not that easy to change. No matter how or what we do, we're still the old we. Like they say: habits die hard.

Human (especially the grown up one) is more afraid to go out of their comfort zone. When we're trying something new, we feel uncomfortable and then stressed, and then we revert back to our old self, the one that we comfortable the most. This is what happened to Tomoko.

But don't worry, she keeps trying. That's what at least likeable from her. And that's what keeps me on keep reading Watamote.
Later, she have someone that she want to impress. So it's clear that she have some social urge that she actually do (impressing and be on good will of others). But like always, it always ends up in hilarious utter failure). IDK if the anime has reached this point.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Armee
Veteran

#12 Post by Armee »

@sulkojay: :D Actually her brother did beat her twice in the episodes when she tried to make a character out of her. It is actually quite hilarious to see
her tried to apologize to him but ended up make him feel more annoyed
I'm watching episode 11 and I'll also check the manga out. I'm sure I enjoy this far more than other shoujo anime. In fact, Tomoko's personality is likeable to me since she's more realistic than those "sparkle" characters in many animes.

megatuga
Regular
Projects: 6 days (name subject to change)

#13 Post by megatuga »

I do like Watamote. I started reading the manga so you can guess that I was excited to see the anime. that OP... XD

Anyway, basically I think of it as a monologue of a common girl. Pretty much that. It's her life story that is not sweetened like other manga/anime around. She wants that sweetness of anime but she can't get it because well... life is not anime. The story gives you a feel of reality and how exactly people like her feel. Although it is up to eleven in several situations (like for example her classmates not acknowledging her presence in the class), it is still realistic and yet somewhat fun.

Ophelia
Regular
Completed: tobag
Projects: Kajima

#14 Post by Ophelia »

I like it. There are.. scenes.. where I just can't look because it's so embarrassing, but it's weirdly entertaining. I can identify myself with her to a certain degree and episode 10 was _so_ sad because so true. :/
And I really love her interactions with her brother! Her brother is a great guy.
Though I do wish there would be some kind of.. progress. I know it's in this case highly unrealistic and nothing really changes in the manga, but nonetheless. I wish she would just have at least one more or less normal conversation with her class mates.

suikojay
Regular

#15 Post by suikojay »

Well, I finished up the series, and I will say that ep 11 was the best ~ at least the ending for that ep made the series for me. Chairman girl is awesome! :) That is all.