Drama and Romance recommendations?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

Drama and Romance recommendations?

#1 Post by Lishy »

Anyone have any good drama or romance anime/manga recommendations?

I really liked Higurashi for drama, and MARS for Romance.
Last edited by Lishy on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

Re: Drama and Romance recommendations?

#2 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Well, just to make sure I don't list any you've already seen-- Could you post the ones you enjoyed/watched please?
i'll cry if you yell at me

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Lishy »

silverpikachu99 wrote:Well, just to make sure I don't list any you've already seen-- Could you post the ones you enjoyed/watched please?
To be honest, it's been so long I forgot the names of ones I watched.
-

silverpikachu99
Veteran

#4 Post by silverpikachu99 »

eheh ok ^^ Well lets see.. (p.s, if you don't like shoujo.. sorry ^^; There's alot of that but I'll change the colour of the ones that aren't ok?~)
Green= No shoujo~
Anime
-Clannad
-Kanon
-Air
-Ef: a tale of memories
-Ef: a tale of melodies

-A lovely Complex
-NANA
-Amnesia
-Hiiro no kakera
-Toradora
-La Corda D'oro
-Hanayaka Nari, Waga Ichizoku: Kinetograph
-Skip Beat!

Manga
-Cat Street
-Clannad
-Kanon
-Air
-Little Busters
These are some of the best things I've ever read/watched so I recommend all of them~!!!! Hope this helped a little.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Lishy »

I'm particularly looking for more down to earth settings, without exaggerated comedy or magic. Don't care whether or not it's Shoujo (though I'd actually prefer male protagonist.)

I remember reading Skip Beat, Peach Girl, Suzuka, Love Hina, and Ichigo 100%, though none were as good as MARS. Any other recommendations??
-

silverpikachu99
Veteran

#6 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Hmmm.....
Anime
Nabari no Ou
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada
Angel Beats!
H2O: FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND
GUNSLINGER GIRL Series
True Tears
School Days
Claymore
Night Head Genesis
Utawarerumono
Sorry if this doesn't really work for your taste and likings ^^;

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#7 Post by Caveat Lector »

For "drama", what are you looking for? A serious storyline, something majorly dramatic/melodramatic, or just slice-of-life without anything overtly comedic?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Lishy »

Caveat Lector wrote:For "drama", what are you looking for? A serious storyline, something majorly dramatic/melodramatic, or just slice-of-life without anything overtly comedic?
All three! :P
-

Ophelia
Regular
Completed: tobag
Projects: Kajima

#9 Post by Ophelia »

One of my favorite dramatic animes is "Kokoro Connect". I absolutely recommend it for everybody! It goes a bit into the psychological genre and it's basically about a group of students who have to deal with unique, psychological situations by a higher force.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#10 Post by Caveat Lector »

For the third one, Bunny Drop comes to mind. It's a basic slice-of-life story with its share of happy moments and sad moments. Just DON'T check out the manga from volume 5 onwards. Or, if you do, STOP at volume 6 or 7. If you STILL want to read more beyond that...well, don't say I didn't warn you.

Myself;Yourself isn't a particularly amazing title, but it's still fairly decent. It straddles a thin line between "slice-of-life drama" and "melodrama" and can get a bit soap opera-ish at times, but it's still worth checking out. Aoi provides some comic relief, but not overtly so.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Dream
Regular

#11 Post by Dream »

Lishy wrote:
Caveat Lector wrote:For "drama", what are you looking for? A serious storyline, something majorly dramatic/melodramatic, or just slice-of-life without anything overtly comedic?
All three! :P
I'm not sure if that's possible.

On topic: Kare Kano has a down-to-earth setting (no magic or anything like that) and the romance is a central part of the story. Of course the primary reason to watch it is that it was directed by Hideaki Anno (If you don't know who he is, watch Nadia or Gunbuster) so really, i'm almost certain you'll have a great time with it.

CHOBITS is pretty cute too. It's melo-dramatics and rare idiocy (i'm looking at you, pantsu episode) are moderate flaws for me but the melodrama seems to be a bonus for you. I've heard that the anime wasn't a very good adaptation, so you might want to go for the manga.

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Lishy »

Dream wrote:
Lishy wrote: On topic: Kare Kano has a down-to-earth setting (no magic or anything like that) and the romance is a central part of the story. Of course the primary reason to watch it is that it was directed by Hideaki Anno (If you don't know who he is, watch Nadia or Gunbuster) so really, i'm almost certain you'll have a great time with it.
I heard Kare Kano's anime adaption wasn't loyal to the author's intentions though, and ended the plot early. If that's the case, I might check out the manga though! ;)
-

Arelune
Regular

#13 Post by Arelune »

RobertSilvermyst
Regular
Projects: Coming Home

#14 Post by RobertSilvermyst »

I'd recommend Chobits, the manga and the anime. It has a a beautiful combination of romance, drama and sometimes over-the-top humor. It balances between the serious and the silly quite nicely, and it has some great character progression and development as the series moves along.

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#15 Post by Aileo »

I had to go look at my anime list to see what I had that was dramatic. And I find that my tastes in anime have either already been recommended or not what you like. But three shows shine through. Try:

Natsuyuki Rendezvous, A young guy falls in love with the widowed owner of a flower shop, whose dead husband is still haunting her. And he can see him. It's really done well and poignant.

Nodame Cantabile, A crazy girl falls in love with an aspiring conductor at a music conservatory in Japan. The anime is split across three seasons and there is a drama as well, although it leans more on the comedy side. I highly recommend the anime, if for nothing else then all of the classical music. I love the manga as well, but it's hard to get a feel for a series that relies on music as a base for it's plot.

And last but not least, perhaps Natsume Yuujinchou? A slice of life fantasy series about a teenager who can see spirits. He inherited the "Book of Friends" from his grandmother, and it's basically how he comes to cope with being a magnet for both good and bad spirits. This is a very relaxing series.

I hope any or all of these gain your interest! :D