"Best Anime Evah!" Disillusionment

For the rest of your otaku life.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

"Best Anime Evah!" Disillusionment

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

Have you ever come across an anime that you thought was the best thing ever for a while, but as time went on you discovered better titles and then realized you didn't actually love it as much as you thought you did? Or that it wasn't as good as you thought it was?

I've noticed this tends to happen with a lot of people getting into anime for the first time who then go on to discover other shows. I think it comes from the fact that anime is so "new" and "different" compared to what you'd usually get for Western Animation that it seems like every title is the best title ever, but as you get further into the fandom, you discover better titles and can easily spot the flaws in your past faves and they don't hold up quite as well. Of all the first few anime series I started seriously watching in 2009, only Higurashi and Death Note still rank amongst my favourites.

An example of what I just described...okay, this is going to be an unpopular opinion, so boo and hiss at me all you like...I prefer Bunny Drop to Clannad. Clannad gripped me from the first episode and refused to let go, but Bunny Drop felt so much more real. The story was simpler, but in this case that's not a bad thing because it felt much closer to being a slice-of-life title. When Rin gets sick, there's no "is she going to die?" drama, it's just another aspect of raising a kid.

I'd still love to check out the Visual Novel of Clannad, which I am certain might be even better than its adaptation (at the very least, I heard it justifies the ending better because of its medium), and I don't think it's a bad show by any means. It's still well-made, and some moments, looking back, still make me smile (especially anything involving Nagisa's parents--someone should make an anime dedicated JUST to them alone! I'd watch every episode! :lol: ). But I can't quite say I like it as much as I did a year or two ago.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: "Best Anime Evah!" Disillusionment

#2 Post by Sapphi »

Caveat Lector wrote:I think it comes from the fact that anime is so "new" and "different" compared to what you'd usually get for Western Animation that it seems like every title is the best title ever, but as you get further into the fandom, you discover better titles and can easily spot the flaws in your past faves and they don't hold up quite as well.
I know that in my case, I was half-starved for... how do I put it... "thoughtful" entertainment when I was younger...
And so it seemed to me that many anime shows by comparison were frighteningly profound.
I'm thinking of certain places in Evangelion, or the Voices of a Distant Star, for instance.

Anyway, it isn't that I feel those don't "hold up" anymore, but that my mind has expanded considerably more since the first time I viewed them, and so I don't find them as mindblowing as before. I find it a little sad, but it is also evidence of personal growth, isn't it? :)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Dream
Regular

#3 Post by Dream »

Shin Seiki Eva-

Nah :lol:

Seriously speaking, i don't think this has ever happened for me. I guess closest to that would be my experience with Puella Magi Madoka Magika due to a friend of mine telling me about some critiques he has with the show at times.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Caveat Lector wrote:Have you ever come across an anime that you thought was the best thing ever for a while, but as time went on you discovered better titles and then realized you didn't actually love it as much as you thought you did? Or that it wasn't as good as you thought it was?
Stories and games don't often have an appeal that survives many years and multiple viewings. That's life. Reasons include...

* Your experience with other creative works. If you start to delve into the works created by people who influenced your favorite artists, that can sometimes lead to disillusionment. To borrow a metaphor from Understanding Comics, the old master's creation is unpolished but substantial, while the new guy's creation looks great but ends up being hollow.

* You grow as a person. The story which seems amazing when you're 21 might not seem as resonant ten years later. You might start to dislike its themes, presentation, pacing, art style, etc. I think it's generally good to try new things and let your tastes change. Sometimes it can lead to humbling or depressing results. (For instance, I think that I've lost my interest in lengthy single-player non-portable video games.)

* Media trends and expectations. All kinds of things can happen... Popular characters inspire a thousand imitations until everyone is sick of that kind of character. Popular series inspire many knock-offs and low quality parodies, and only stop being made when they stop selling. Today's trend in storytelling becomes a joke in just a few months, and won't be taken seriously again for maybe a decade. Development trends change between console games, computer games, mobile games, and more. There's that one fan-favorite show which is like almost nothing else -- probably because it was a financial failure, or because it was so expensive that nobody wants to take that risk.

I'm rewatching Hikaru no Go, after thoroughly enjoying it about eight or nine years ago. I'm thinking about how much I like it now.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#5 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

gekiganwing wrote:
Caveat Lector wrote:Have you ever come across an anime that you thought was the best thing ever for a while, but as time went on you discovered better titles and then realized you didn't actually love it as much as you thought you did? Or that it wasn't as good as you thought it was?
Stories and games don't often have an appeal that survives many years and multiple viewings. That's life. Reasons include...

* Your experience with other creative works. If you start to delve into the works created by people who influenced your favorite artists, that can sometimes lead to disillusionment. To borrow a metaphor from Understanding Comics, the old master's creation is unpolished but substantial, while the new guy's creation looks great but ends up being hollow.
So true. Though it can work in reverse as well. My first fantasy novel was the Hobbit, which I loved, but then I went on to read all the popular fantasy novels being published. It wasn't until I'd been reading popular modern fantasy for years (and dozens and dozens of books later), that I finally went back and read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And I found it boring and uncompelling, because while the newer authors may not have written better than Tolkien (though yes, quite a few did), they had stolen and adopted and reused so many of his original ideas that they were trite and uninteresting to me by the time I read the books they were based off of. Tolkien's work had been turned into tropes, played straight and subverted, so many times for me, that my response was basically to yawn and exclaim, "Look, I've seen and done this before, and I'm wearing the T-shirt!"

Tolkien didn't help things by started a major fantasy trilogy with a chapter on the history of tobacco farming....
gekiganwing wrote: * You grow as a person. The story which seems amazing when you're 21 might not seem as resonant ten years later. You might start to dislike its themes, presentation, pacing, art style, etc. I think it's generally good to try new things and let your tastes change. Sometimes it can lead to humbling or depressing results.
This, to me, is the big one. A character that looks awesome and cool and deep when you are a teenager is suddenly apparent as a ridiculous moron when seen by your adult self.

It's the reason I can't stand high school stories anymore that are slice of life dramas. As a grown man I just want to grab the characters by the shoulders and shake them while shouting, "None of what you are doing right now matters! You won't see hardly any of these people ever again, except those that are your REALLY good friends, and you'll see THEM maybe twice a year for a lunch date or something. That rumor doesn't matter, who hooks up doesn't matter, none of it matters! In 4 short years (and yes, that is a tiny amount of time!) a big fat RESET button will hit your life and change everything, and almost nothing from the social life you are living right now will carry over. Now stop these ridiculous melodramatic story lines!" Ahem, and ... soap box dismount.

It's also the reason, I'm sure, that "protect your child" stories and goals now appeal to me more than "save your girlfriend / the princess" stories and goals. Finding your missing daughter in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories or getting your daughter her medication on time in Dead Rising 2 are way more compelling drivers for me now than the implied promise of a booty-call for being a hero in other games. Or games like the Walking Dead by Telltale, where I don't find it bothersome to be saddled with a child shadowing my every move, which probably would have bugged the crap out of me as a teen.

It's almost like there is this generation of male gamers that have grown up and become fathers and are suddenly being catered to ... hmmm.