in general, what made you want to read a visual novel?

For the rest of your otaku life.
shilkefair
Regular
Completed: Winter Bliss~meeting you~
Projects: Black rosette [VN], Selene

in general, what made you want to read a visual novel?

#1 Post by shilkefair »

just wanted to know, what made you guys want to read a visual novel:D
is it because:
1.Story
2.Artwork/illustration
3.music
4.GUI/UI
or something else?:D
which one influence you the most that made you want to play a visual novel/otome game?

well in my case, i don't even know what a visual novel is at first and when i was searching for a game, there was a cover illustration that caught my eye, it was hiiro no kakera and then i decided to buy it without knowing what it is because the cover was beautifulXD and that is when i know what visual novel is and been interested ever since, what about you guys? :D

DeletedUser160413

Re: in general, what made you want to read a visual novel?

#2 Post by DeletedUser160413 »

shilkefair wrote:just wanted to know, what made you guys want to read a visual novel:D
is it because:
1.Story
2.Artwork/illustration
3.music
4.GUI/UI
or something else?:D
which one influence you the most that made you want to play a visual novel/otome game?

well in my case, i don't even know what a visual novel is at first and when i was searching for a game, there was a cover illustration that caught my eye, it was hiiro no kakera and then i decided to buy it without knowing what it is because the cover was beautifulXD and that is when i know what visual novel is and been interested ever since, what about you guys? :D
The artwork/illustrations and the story. When I decide if I want to play a game I usually look at the art first, and then the storyline. But the GUI/UI also plays a big deal.

Also, I think voicing is super annoying. I'd like to imagine what a character sounds by myself.
Last edited by DeletedUser160413 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Story and artwork. Of course it's impossible to tell how good a story is right from the beginning so it's either from the word of mouth to mouth recommendation or review, or whether the basic premise is interesting or not.

While we can instantly tell if a VN have a good artwork or not.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Crenshaw6
Regular

#4 Post by Crenshaw6 »

Artwork>Story>GUI>Music(as I usually just play mines in the background)>Voiced (completely optional with me. Makes no difference whether it is voiced or not)

As great a story may be, if I cannot like the art, I simply cannot get through the game. The art doesn't have to be magnificent, as long the proportions look okay, pose doesn't look too rigid, no noticeable hand bias, shading looks right...

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#5 Post by ShippoK »

Characters.

Nothing makes me more excited to read a novel then the likeable characters.
A novel can have the most horrid of graphics, grinding of music and the most cringe worthy awful of stories!
But, if the characters can still make me smile, laugh, cry, anger, and scare me. Then, I'm staying for the long run.
A character makes more of an impact towards me then Music or Art can.

Characters > Music/Sound > Story > Art = GUI > Everything Else
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

For me it would probably go something like:

Artwork > Story > GUI > Music

If the artwork's not appealing, then it would put me off of the game. After all, a visual novel with a good story and bad art would probably have been better off as a novel. After that, obviously the story would be the next criteria. But they don't call it a "visual" novel for nothing.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

ShippoK wrote:Characters.

A novel can have the most horrid of graphics, grinding of music and the most cringe worthy awful of stories!
But, if the characters can still make me smile, laugh, cry, anger, and scare me. Then, I'm staying for the long run.

This... Just so much this. I am a sucker for all kinds of loveable characters.... and as long as I end up liking a character, I am going to stay until the very end just to find out what happens to them in the VN.

Though, I think story is kind of important for me too. If it's awfully 'cringe-worthy' and boring and it's not even meant to be a parody of some sort, then there's a high chance I'm not staying.

Artwork is pretty important to me too, but I think it still goes behind dialogue, to which I'm kind of nitpicky with as well --and is probably equal with story in terms of importance. I love lively, random and varied interactions between characters. If it's always so plain and boring, I might drop the VN. (This is also the main reason why I always edit my scripts. I can never get satisfied with the dialogue I write. OTL)

Sooooo for me: Characters > Story = Dialogue > Artwork > GUI > Music = Voice = SFX (If you're giving me voices, then it might as well go along well with the music and SFX XD)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Armee
Veteran

#8 Post by Armee »

For me, I would prefer realistic characters with good developement on story. I'm not a big fan of any kind of game developer because even if this one is good, other may not. I don't buy game because of developer that's for sure.
I seek for story with a real meaning, ah, what's that word? Anyway, appealing artwork catch my attention as well and ofc, like everybody, I love looking at pretty art, I don't play VN for plain text. I don't choose art over plot though. (I have enough of that sparkly but shitty visual novel...) Music, hmmm, great music is equal to great art in my opinion since music gives me a lot of inspiration for writing and drawing. And voices sometimes might save me from quitting in the very begin. But over all, if the system is crap, I might as well drop the game. I dislike playing the game with my butt off just to lost the save or strained my hand because no auto or skip.
So mine is, System>Characters=Story=Dialouge>Music=Art>Voices>SFX
And if anyone interest, Qrii's is a little different from mine.
Art>System>Character=Story=Dialouge>Music=SFX=Voice

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

My first visual novel was digital: a love story by Christine Love. I came upon it through a recommendation for art games by reviewer that has politics I respect. Then I followed Love's work. From there I got more recommendations from the Border House (feminist, social justice sort of site).

I recognize my support of a game as a form of politics and I think it is important for me to support games that will make things better, not only give me enjoyment. Also, I can't enjoy things that I think are regressive.

So I tend to go first with the politics of the game, if the politics align with mine, or the game is doing something I think is important I will support it. Then I tend to support developers I respect, if you are Christine Love or Cyanide Tea (or related to them), I am going to play your work no questions asked. After that I go wthi "artiness" factor. If the game is serious and arty...dramatic...thoughtful? I'm there. After that I'll go with writing, then I'll go with art (specifically, if the art is non-anime then I will go for it, if it is anime I am a lot less likely to go for it). Then genre, if it is something other than your average high school otome, I'm more likely to go for it. Tied into genre is innovation, if you are doing something different than the other games, I'll probably be supporting it. Then music--I'm a composer and musicologist, so audio is important to me. I might just support a game that may not be great otherwise but is being really innovative and artistic with regards to music/sound. Then GUI/art design. I think art design is difficult and I want to support people who do it thoughtfully and well.

So Politics>Developer>Artiness>Writing>Non-anime Art>Genre>Innovation>Music/Sound Design>Art Design.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#10 Post by truefaiterman »

The one thing that makes me attracted to most visual novels...

The concept. The basic idea. If I find the concept appealing, I'll take a look at story/artwork (I'll admit, if the artwork is bad, I'll have a hard time getting to read it, but sooner or later I'll do it).
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

soraibi
Regular

#11 Post by soraibi »

When I see a visual novel, well, the first thing I see is the art. Although I hate to admit it but I kinda do judge a book by it's cover since it's the first thing I will see. Of course if I take interest, I might start reading the blurb then if I like that as well, I read to see if the story is my type (^^)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by gekiganwing »

To get me to pay attention to a VN, the following help:

* Should exist on a platform which I own, and which I find convenient rather than annoying.
* Should already have more than a demo in English. It's difficult to wait for full patches and official releases.
* Do I like the art? It's a superficial concern, but I'm usually more inclined to read if I like the graphics.
* Do I like the premise? If it sounds like the conflict or situation will be interesting, I'll be more willing to pay attention.

To keep me reading...

* Gameplay should be easy to understand, but tough to master.
* Pacing matters. I get annoyed if there's long sidetracks: dreams, monologues, descriptions... Slice-of-life can be fine, if the characters aren't fixated on their petty concerns.
* Is there something to the story other than its initial hook?

If I stop caring about the plot, characters, and world, then I'll stop reading.

shilkefair
Regular

#13 Post by shilkefair »

whoaa, look at those answers :shock: very,very interesting answers :D
well, i realize that i didn't explain it like you guys did, the only thing that i explain was the thing that made me go to this beautiful world called visual novel~
okay, than maybe i do this too:D
so for me, if i'm interested in reading a visual novel/otome game i would first look at the PV,OP of the game and the summery of the story, i really love watching otome game pv's and Op's because of those effects and visual~XD (well, because i'm a graphic designer i'm interested in those kinda things tooXD)

and i do look at the artwork first, hey, because in the OP and PV shows the artworkXD
soraibi wrote:When I see a visual novel, well, the first thing I see is the art. Although I hate to admit it but I kinda do judge a book by it's cover since it's the first thing I will see. Of course if I take interest, I might start reading the blurb then if I like that as well, I read to see if the story is my type (^^)
haha, me too. well i guess some of us are like that, we do that all the time in our life, like even when we buy a post card or a mug(usually i'm interested in the design first.)
ShippoK wrote:Characters.

Characters > Music/Sound > Story > Art = GUI > Everything Else
yes, characters. there are some games that made me stay till the end because of their personality and usually i want to know what's gonna happen to him at the end :D

so i guess for me is: Artwork/illutration (including promotional art, because that's the first thing that i will saw when searching for a new game)> PV and OP > Story and consept > Characters > GUI/UI > Music > everything else

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#14 Post by trooper6 »

gekiganwing wrote:To get me to pay attention to a VN, the following help:

* Should exist on a platform which I own, and which I find convenient rather than annoying.
Oh I should have probably mentioned this as well. I'm a Mac gamer and if it isn't available on the Mac, I'm not going to play it, no matter how interesting it seems.

Also, what are OP and PV?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

shilkefair
Regular

#15 Post by shilkefair »

trooper6 wrote: Oh I should have probably mentioned this as well. I'm a Mac gamer and if it isn't available on the Mac, I'm not going to play it, no matter how interesting it seems.

Also, what are OP and PV?
oh sorry about that, i'm not specific enough.
OP = Opening movie
PV = Promotional Video

i hope that answer your question :D