Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

Favourite Final Fantasy?

#1 Post by Rinima »

Which is your favourite FF game?

Personally, I like XIII-3

EDIT: Though now I've played X, that may have taken over XD
Last edited by Rinima on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Favourite Final Fantasy?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

I have only fully played a few FF games, so I can't share opinions on some fan favorites like FF9. However, I'd probably say my favorite FF was either FFX or FF Tactics Advance, going by the sum of all the game elements as a whole.

I played FF3 and FF4 remakes but I didn't like how hardcore retro the gameplay was and the plot wasn't incredibly original. FF6 I stopped playing after a while, it also felt a little dated. I enjoyed FF7 a bit more but by the time I played it, the graphics were extremely dated and didn't jive. And I wasn't taken in by FF12's battle system despite really liking the setting and music of the game, not a big fan of Vaan either.

FFX may have random encounters and other dated gameplay but all the elements mesh together well. And I like tactics gameplay, so I really loved FF Tactics Advance back when I played it on my GBA.

rakada
Regular

#3 Post by rakada »

If you talking about fans favorite it would be 6 ,7 and 9 the most popular followed by 13.

I personally like ff5 (best old ff style in my opinion) and number 10 (best new ff style in my opinion) then going to 12 ( had fun playing it but something weren't that great) and 1 ( was a fun game but doesn't have the much story or plot)

i wonder how many people played and 100% beat ff 1-5
Last edited by rakada on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#4 Post by sendo »

*puts nostalgia glasses on*

I also haven't played all Final Fantasies but my favorite would be FF6. That game got me hooked with jRPGs. I've played it back when I was 10-11 and 10 years later I still play it just to relive the whole experience. IMO, it had the best characters and story.

Next is a tie between FFTA and FF7.
FF Tactics Advance solely for the gameplay. Yes, gameplay. I literally burned hundreds of hours playing this game because I got addicted with the gameplay. I didn't even like the story.
FF7, because I was blown away by the FMVs and 3d. Played this after finishing FF6, back then FMVs and 3Ds were the holy grails of gaming. Story and characters are pretty good, gameplay was nothing new except for Materias.

I can't get into FF8 for some reason, stopped halfway, I can't even remember the plot at all. It is about some... floating gardens and prom night... right?? lol jk ^^

I recently started FF9 (released in 2000!) and I'm really liking the characters and story! It's rapidly coming close to FF6 for personal enjoyment and those eyecandies! I'd love to see this get an HD remake.

Never played anything from FFX and up yet though...
Finished VNs:
Image Image

Tonna

#5 Post by Tonna »

Mine is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance :)
- I'm just a noob artist, now I try to improve my skills (^ ^) -

Hyraculon
Regular
Projects: Goetia Club

#6 Post by Hyraculon »

FF6 all the way. That game blew my mind when I was a kid, and Kefka remains one of my favorite villains in anything.

FF7 is a close second. The story has a lot of genuine depth to it (though I get the feeling a lot of it is lost to the wonky translation). But I also love the goofy moments; CPR minigames and the Golden Saucer and basically everything to do with the Turks. Sometimes I feel liked Squeenix has forgotten to have fun like that.

I'm ashamed of myself but I never finished FFT, even though it's definitely one of the best things to come out of the franchise. I got distracted souping up all my characters and getting them Calculator skills, and then eventually drove myself nuts trying to find a rare weapon on top of a pillar, not realizing that it says "Found Spear" even when you actually had found the rare weapon. When they re-ported it to the PSP, I was bound and determined to finish it this time, but I got even less far before setting it down to play Disgaea instead... truly I am a travesty.

I completely lost interest in Final Fantasy after X... but Bravely Default looks fantastic. I need to clear off some space on my 3DS's memory card so I can download it.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

rakada wrote: i wonder how many people played and 100% beat ff 1-5
I completely beat the DS remakes of FF3 and FF4. To be honest though, you don't really have to play Dawn of Souls (1-2) if you play 3... since 4 is really where the series started to have actual character driven plot rather than generic characters. I'm guessing most RPG fans would find FF 1-3 a little boring.

I haven't played FF5 but it tends to get the short end of the stick seeing as its two successors are so popular.

Paradoxus

#8 Post by Paradoxus »

For me, it would be the Final Fantasy Tactics series. As a child, I've spent a bunch of time with the Tactics of PS1, and I loved every minute of it. When they released the one for GBA, I knew I had to get it. The same with the one for DS. I loved the turn-based combat and their pretty interesting stories they had presented, especially with Tactics Advanced.

The runner-up would be Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube, partially due to nostalgia and the other part due to being a great game in general.

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#9 Post by Aileo »

Final Fantasy 9! Followed very closely by 6 and 7. FF6 has my favorite villain and 7 is purely for being the first one I played and I have my rose-colored glasses on today.

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#10 Post by Asceai »

I like 5, 6 and 7 the most. Too hard to rank them. I love the gameplay, amount of content and characterisation of 6, I love the plot of 7 and I love everything about 5 (although the story isn't the greatest.)
I also have a soft spot in my heart for 1 and 4- I like the level of freedom to explore 1 gives you as well as the minimalist design (and the fact that it's, if not difficult, at least unforgiving. The D&D-esque limited spell tiiers and the lack of restoration options make dungeons actual serious challenges that require planning) and I like 4 from a gameplay, difficulty and endgame design perspective (I always felt FFs typically got the endgame too easy- 4 didn't. I just love the whole design and aesthetic of that final dungeon too)
My favourite port of 1 is the Wonderswan Color port, but I'll play the NES ver.

Yosh'
Tumblr: friedyosheggs
Deviantart: Polka-Dotted-Yoshi

#11 Post by Yosh' »

Rather than one of the Final Fantasy main series games, my favorite would be Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII-.

Though if I had to pick one, it would have to be Final Fantasy VII since it's the first one I remember ever playing (so I've got this attachment to it).

rmt_2011
Regular
Projects: Lacrimosa ~ Nightmare Terror, Deceptive Dreams
Deviantart: Pie-inator

#12 Post by rmt_2011 »

Hmm...I haven't played most of the full series but I played nearly all games of the Crystal Chronicles branch. It may be because of the after-taste of FFIII since it was so stereotypical I didn't care about my characters for most of the series and played....because I liked RPGs and this one game me tonnes of hours. The Crystal Chronicles are my favourite series...probably ever. If I were to choose which FFCC game I enjoyed most it would be Echoes of Time (that story was epic and touching; not sure why but Ring of Fates was a big 'meh' for me).

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#13 Post by LVUER »

Speaking of Final Fantasy, I wonder if SE will translate FF Type-0?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#14 Post by Laniessa »

FFX! (The only Final Fantasy game that I ever completed, so I'm really not one to talk.)

Oh, but Tactics Advance was my childhood game. Playing it now, it's alright, but I have fond memories of it.

LRH
Regular

#15 Post by LRH »

I'm going with the unpopular opinion here... I adored 8. The graphics, for its time, on a console, were amazing, and it was my first exposure to JRPGs. Sure, Rinoa was irritating at best, and I got kind of sick of hot-headed Zell, and Seifer really needed to cut it out with the chicken-wuss insults, but in hindsight, I think that means I probably had a pretty good understanding of how Squall felt through the whole game.