Who is the toughest boss you've ever faced in an RPG Game?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Red Knight
Regular

Who is the toughest boss you've ever faced in an RPG Game?

#1 Post by Red Knight »

For me, it would have to be Widdershin from Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Who is the toughest boss you've ever faced in an RPG Game?

#2 Post by Showsni »

Does Zelda II: Adventure of Link count as an RPG? I guess you're playing the role of Link...
Beating Shadow Link was pretty hard until I found the trick to it. Just getting to him is what's really hard, though... Stupid Moas...

And there's a few on things like Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn that I had to have loads of goes at, but none I can remember by name. Dragons, say... Cast all the protection spells I've got, rush into the room, cast all the protection stripping spells I've got with my mages and cleric whilst the paladin, thief and warrior hack away, then let loose with every offensive spell in my armoury, casting healing and resurrection as and when necessary... Everyone dies, and I try again.

Red Knight
Regular

#3 Post by Red Knight »

The Zelda Series have been RPG Games for as long as I remember, so I guess it counts.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by musical74 »

Hmmmmmm that's tough, being as I've played video games for 25 years...

For the time being, though, I'll say Luca Blight, Suikoden 2...first you have to beat him in the field - and when you do that, he has a power attack that clobbers EVERYONE; then you have to defeat him in combat - and the guy is POWERFUL beyond belief; and after you do THAT, you have to defeat him in single combat, and then, only then, are you rid of the threat called Luca Blight.

Honorable mention...Atma Weapon, end of Act 1 of Final Fantasy 6...without Celes to absorb his magic attacks, he is BRUTAL; he's hard even with Celes, and if he decides to go "full power" it's gonna be a HUGE challenge to win the fight...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

#5 Post by MoonlightBomber »

The hardest boss I ever encountered in an RPG is the final boss of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song (PS2): Saruin.

On my first playthrough (Albert's story), I battled his two forms semi-unprepared. Meaning: no special uber-powerful gear, letting Saruin's minions get some Fatestones for him to use, few powerful spells/weapon techniques. The damage-reducing pillars and his LP-draining attacks made the fight harder.

But will anyone challenge a uber-powerful Saruin (which is fought by offering all 10 Fatestones to him in any New Game+), with ~90,000 HP, 4-consecutive-turn attacking, and strengthened versions of spells that add status effects? I never did, and I never will.
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

Red Knight
Regular

#6 Post by Red Knight »

Sounds like a challenge. It's rare that Video Games have any challenge nowadays. However, I avoid games with plots like Saga's. Another tough boss worth mentioning is Neo Dhaos from Tales of Phantasia (Super Famicom Version). See, the game has a 2D Action RPG Battle System, and while you were running to attack him, he would constantly assault you with his never stopping arm, while firing little energy balls, alot of them at that, at the same time, causing even more damage. When you would finally get close to him, he would turn invincible, leaving your attacks useless. To make matters worse, he would only turn vulnerable for a second, literally. He was the toughest boss as far as I knew until Widdershin from Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology came along.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

is neo-Dhaos the final boss? Yeah... he's one of the tough ones it takes forever to beat him.

My pick would be Iselia Queen (optional boss) from Star Ocean 2 because she has a lot of hp and moves too darn fast and can KO you even at master level with her multi-hit air-slash move.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Red Knight
Regular

#8 Post by Red Knight »

lordcloudx wrote:is neo-Dhaos the final boss? Yeah... he's one of the tough ones it takes forever to beat him.

My pick would be Iselia Queen (optional boss) from Star Ocean 2 because she has a lot of hp and moves too darn fast and can KO you even at master level with her multi-hit air-slash move.
Yeah, he's the last boss. Oddly enough, in the PSX Version of Tales of Phantasia, while he does get a different look, he has all the same attacks, but he's easier. Probably because in the PSX Version, he gets a Third Form. Have you ever played Tales of Symphonia? Picture Yggdrasill from that game, but as he would appear as a 2D Sprite. That's Dhaos' Third Form.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by lordcloudx »

Actually I played the snes version of Tales of Phantasia too. (emulator since I think there was no english version for the ps) I used that hourglass item a few times to get some hits off of him.

Hehe. Right now, my party is stuck inside that secret cave dungeon near the end of the game. I saved inside many many floors below and now I'm lost and out of supplies. Haven't touched that save file for years. I might resort to hacking everyone's hp to stay at max if I ever play it again.

btw, is there a secret female ninja character who can join the party? I saw her in some of the official art for Tales of Phantasia

haven't played tales of symphonia.

Also, I just remembered. Emerald and Ruby weapons from ff7 are near impossible to beat without maxing stats, using hero drinks or mime, counter and kotr materia
Last edited by lordcloudx on Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Red Knight
Regular

#10 Post by Red Knight »

lordcloudx wrote:Actually I played the snes version of Tales of Phantasia too. (emulator since I think there was no english version for the ps) I used that hourglass item a few times to get some hits off of him.

Hehe. Right now, my party is stuck inside that secret cave dungeon near the end of the game. I saved inside many many floors below and now I'm lost and out of supplies. Haven't touched that save file for years. I might resort to hacking everyone's hp to stay at max if I ever play it again.

haven't played tales of symphonia.

Also, I just remembered. Emerald and Ruby weapons from ff7 are near impossible to beat without maxing stats, using hero drinks or mime, counter and kotr materia
Good one. I forgot about those two bosses. Emerald Weapon is the toughest boss in the game, but oddly, I beat him, but not Ruby Weapon. I do agree that they are tough though.

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#11 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Nabu in my SAM AS game for the SNES.

I have rom.

Something wrong with my rom.

I cannot defeat Nabu, even when I keep track of how much HP I've damaged and Gone WAY over her max HP.

Someone rom hacker here?
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#12 Post by papillon »

I played through that game - I think I used some sort of cheat after a while though. I've probably still got my rom around somewhere but I dunno if it'd work for you. :)

Red Knight
Regular

#13 Post by Red Knight »

Sailor Kitty wrote:Nabu in my SAM AS game for the SNES.

I have rom.

Something wrong with my rom.

I cannot defeat Nabu, even when I keep track of how much HP I've damaged and Gone WAY over her max HP.

Someone rom hacker here?
What game is that? Sailor Moon?

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#14 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Yes. It is called Sailor Moon: Another Story.

I'd love to use codes, but I'm not very good at hex codes.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by lordcloudx »

hehe maybe you just need some of these http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/snes ... odes.shtml

anywayz, cheating using zsnes is easy. I forgot the specifics but you just need to know the exact value of your current hp, go to the cheat menu and search for any values corresponding to your hp, let the enemy damage you, then go back to your search results and see which values have changed to reflect the same value as your current hp. (The value that changed is the code for your character's hp... change it to 999 or something.)