Anyone playing Fantasy Life [3DS]?

For the rest of your otaku life.
lacelazier
Tumblr: laceart
Deviantart: lacelazier

Anyone playing Fantasy Life [3DS]?

#1 Post by lacelazier »

Hey! I'm playing Fantasy Life as I type this, and I'm just wondering if any of you guys play it too? :)
This game is very entertaining, and it's going to keep me playing for a good long while, I can tell.
What do you think of it, guys?

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

Re: Anyone playing Fantasy Life [3DS]?

#2 Post by breadslam »

I've been looking to get it once the price goes down. How would you describe it?

lacelazier

#3 Post by lacelazier »

Ah, let's see...

Graphics wise, it is cute and cartoony, very colorful and detailed. Gameplay wise, it is like a regular RPG: you battle monsters, undertake quests, get loot, and build character stats. But I think the selling point of the game is the flexibility of the job class system, or "Life".

There are 12 in all and you can even undertake all Lives to help fulfill tasks for your other Lives. It offers a lot of things to do, so I don't get bored very easily. Plus you can customize your character and collect (or make your own) weapons and stuff. I've seen people think it is a mix of a regular RPG + Harvest Moon + Animal Crossing (and I don't disagree), but it offers its own unique experience :)

I don't make use of the Multiplayer function much because my friends are still playing Pokemon X/Y and I'm the only one who moved on for a little while XD

Though if you are getting it, you should look out for the Origin Island DLC expansion pack. I am not sure how it will be sold in your place (since I don't live in US) but I have an NA 3DS and it seems I can purchase the DLC through the E-Shop <:

Hope it helps!

pocoscon
Regular
Projects: Black Lotus(Hitatus), Lethal Love,

#4 Post by pocoscon »

I want to try this game =). Saw a review and it looks awesome. I should've gotten that instead of a PS3 game. Turned out to be not what I wanted =(. Are there many things to do?
Black Lotus(A work in progress)- (BxB,Horror,Thriller,Fantasy) Tells the story of a boy who must save his home and friends from dangerous creatures known as the Tainted. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=28588

Catching the Sun(A work in progress)- (GxG,Slice of Life,Friendship,Drama)

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=29404

breadslam
Regular
Tumblr: breadslam

#5 Post by breadslam »

Thanks for your thoughts, lacelazier. I'll pick it up around Christmas time or Black Friday for sure!

It sounds very interesting, especially the "Lives" and customization aspects. A couple of sites I follow have given it praise too. I don't have the new Pokemon titles, so this'll be a cool game to play on Multiplayer if I can hook a few friends. (I have a NA 3DS, by the way. I'm not big into DLC, especially for Nintendo titles, but I'll give it a look-see.)
pocoscon wrote:Are there many things to do?
From what I've read (and perhaps those who've played it, like lacelazier, can weigh in too), there's three categories of "Lives" (character classes) sorted into Fighter-types, Crafter-types, and Looter-types. Those are divided into the individual lives you can choose, like Cook or Paladin or Thief. I've heard that there's character and house customization too, but I don't know the extent of that. A lot of the people I've talked to who have the game sunk 10+ hours into the game within the first three days from the release, so it might not be good for casual players.

It looks really cute, and there's a lot of replayability apparently in the form of special sub-chapters of the story depending on your current class. I think that it was made by the same folks who created Professor Layton, but don't quote me on that. I know that it was originally planned to be in 2-D, so maybe that'll show up somehow.

bellice
Veteran

#6 Post by bellice »

Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone seems so pleased with the game.

It's not bad, but not particularly good either. Maybe I'm just not the right type of gamer for it. (Animal Crossing tends to bore me, too.) I played a cook and a carpenter and these jobs at least are pretty much exactly the same. Cooking and crafting works exactly the same way. Battling monsters is essentially just 'press A to attack'.
The NPCs are...well, they don't have much in the way of personality. Their requests are the typical 'slay this, bring me that' stuff.

I have yet to find something about Fantasy Life that really grabs me. *shrug*

(Plus, the whole 'make the characters as simple and cutesy-pie as possible!' stuff has been annoying me since Harvest Moon, so...)

Yeah, I'm probably not the right kind of person for this. I love life simulations, but that's not really what this is. If you're a fan of Animal Crossing, you'd probably enjoy it.

lacelazier

#7 Post by lacelazier »

pocoscon wrote:I want to try this game =). Saw a review and it looks awesome. I should've gotten that instead of a PS3 game. Turned out to be not what I wanted =(. Are there many things to do?
Lots of things to do ❤ It has a very high replayability!
breadslam wrote:Thanks for your thoughts, lacelazier. I'll pick it up around Christmas time or Black Friday for sure!

It sounds very interesting, especially the "Lives" and customization aspects. A couple of sites I follow have given it praise too. I don't have the new Pokemon titles, so this'll be a cool game to play on Multiplayer if I can hook a few friends. (I have a NA 3DS, by the way. I'm not big into DLC, especially for Nintendo titles, but I'll give it a look-see.)
pocoscon wrote:Are there many things to do?
From what I've read (and perhaps those who've played it, like lacelazier, can weigh in too), there's three categories of "Lives" (character classes) sorted into Fighter-types, Crafter-types, and Looter-types. Those are divided into the individual lives you can choose, like Cook or Paladin or Thief. I've heard that there's character and house customization too, but I don't know the extent of that. A lot of the people I've talked to who have the game sunk 10+ hours into the game within the first three days from the release, so it might not be good for casual players.

It looks really cute, and there's a lot of replayability apparently in the form of special sub-chapters of the story depending on your current class. I think that it was made by the same folks who created Professor Layton, but don't quote me on that. I know that it was originally planned to be in 2-D, so maybe that'll show up somehow.
No problem! Sorry for the late post ❤ And yes that's about right, though there isn't a Thief job class. I think it promotes "noble and optimistic" jobs, haha XD It's very cute and innocent for me.
bellice wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure why everyone seems so pleased with the game.

It's not bad, but not particularly good either. Maybe I'm just not the right type of gamer for it. (Animal Crossing tends to bore me, too.) I played a cook and a carpenter and these jobs at least are pretty much exactly the same. Cooking and crafting works exactly the same way. Battling monsters is essentially just 'press A to attack'.
The NPCs are...well, they don't have much in the way of personality. Their requests are the typical 'slay this, bring me that' stuff.

I have yet to find something about Fantasy Life that really grabs me. *shrug*

(Plus, the whole 'make the characters as simple and cutesy-pie as possible!' stuff has been annoying me since Harvest Moon, so...)

Yeah, I'm probably not the right kind of person for this. I love life simulations, but that's not really what this is. If you're a fan of Animal Crossing, you'd probably enjoy it.
That's alright! Though I think the selling point of the game is because it is simple and just like any other RPG out there. It's not too stressful to play, and it's a casual but time-consuming game. When I played it, I rarely got frustrated because I can just sit back and enjoy the story, and do simple things, though at times it would be boring from the crafting mini-games since it gets repetitive. But overall it's enjoyable because it's relaxing c: