OST in Visual Novels

For the rest of your otaku life.
xPerfectSuicide
Regular
Completed: InuYame, My little Interview can't be this boring, In the middle of U days
Organization: Luis Design'S

OST in Visual Novels

#1 Post by xPerfectSuicide »

Some of you are concerned about the Original Sound Track of VNs you playing? Most aspects are important in the development of a game, but in these games specific think the Original Sound Track is one of the most important things. Here I have some reasons why it is the most important

1.-A scene of drama, without dramatic music is just a poorly made comedy

2.-Manipulates the viewer's feelings

3.-It makes everything look nice

4.-You get addicted to the game

5.-Each time you hear a track you feel familiar with the game

By far my favorite Original Soundtrack is of Kokoro Function, did you ever seriously thought about an OST that manipulates your mind?

PD: Imagine this with a sad music

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

Re: OST in Visual Novels

#2 Post by Kailoto »

I'm a bit obsessed with OSTs, and not just in visual novels. Everyone has something they prioritize, and while I still give proper weight to the story and all, I tend to pay much closer attention to the BGM than others.

In all cases, one of the things that really stands out is the use of musical motifs. Taking a single musical element and using it in multiple tracks provides a sense of continuity and structure that's really appreciated by music buffs like me. FTL's soundtrack used a single chord progression in a multitude of individual tracks, and the Ace Attorney series has longstanding leitmotifs that are arranged and rearranged throughout the series. And many times you'll find a soundtrack that takes the melody of a certain theme and plays it in a minor key with a piano to give it a sad, somber atmosphere.

I also love games that take the main theme (or something similar) and use it during the climax. When the music only heard during the opening or title screen starts to play, you know you're in for a treat.

I could go on and on and on... but yes. Soundtracks. They play an important role in atmospherics and creating a memorable experience. Love 'em, and wish they were given more attention in development.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

I got my undergraduate degree in composition, worked briefly as a sound engineer, and now teach music history and spend all my time analyzing how music works. So music is very important to me and I really appreciate well done OSTs...well done SFX, and well recorded voice acting (I also have worked as an actor/voice actor).

But that said...I wouldn't say that without dramatic music a game is just a poorly made comedy, or that music is the most important thing above all other elements. I don't think universal statements like that can be made. And each creator (and audience) has different priorities.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

xPerfectSuicide
Regular
Completed: InuYame, My little Interview can't be this boring, In the middle of U days
Organization: Luis Design'S

#4 Post by xPerfectSuicide »

trooper6 wrote: I don't think universal statements like that can be made. And each creator (and audience) has different priorities.
Indeed you are right, however, as everything should be flawless harmony in a quality product musics ignored for most viewers.

Unconsciously, of course, because it is in fact what gives life to a scene. Not necessarily talking about dramatic music, but is related to the Immersive musical examples that give the scene in question.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

xPerfectSuicide wrote:
trooper6 wrote: I don't think universal statements like that can be made. And each creator (and audience) has different priorities.
Indeed you are right, however, as everything should be flawless harmony in a quality product musics ignored for most viewers.

Unconsciously, of course, because it is in fact what gives life to a scene. Not necessarily talking about dramatic music, but is related to the Immersive musical examples that give the scene in question.
I disagree on this claim you make that it is music that gives life to a scene. Many things can give life to a scene. Music is one thing...but it isn't the only thing. There are powerful scenes that have no music...and in those scenes that lack of music is what makes it powerful. I get that you like music. I like music, too. But there is more than one way to create a powerful experience.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#6 Post by truefaiterman »

I don't think the OST is the most important thing for a VN, nor any audio-visual product.

But it IS a tool, and a really powerful one, if you also consider other sounds like effects, or voice acting. If you know how to use it, the scene will win a lot of life (the horror genre knows how important is this).
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

silentwinterland

#7 Post by silentwinterland »

I know how to play the piano but i don't know how to write a music what to doxD

wayward
Regular

#8 Post by wayward »

Totally agree with you. Been a big fan of OSTs in all forms of media. As far as video games go I tend to use Final Fantasy Tactics for Playstation as an good example of how music can play a tremendous role in the game. Youre moving these sprites on the tiles of the screen, and looks great, but then you hear the music in the background and calls up emotions you may have never felt otherwise. This is a really fascinating subject, glad you brought it up.