Vita Tv or 3DS

For the rest of your otaku life.
xPerfectSuicide
Regular
Completed: InuYame, My little Interview can't be this boring, In the middle of U days
Organization: Luis Design'S

Vita Tv or 3DS

#1 Post by xPerfectSuicide »

Currently saw many Japanese games (including many visual novels) that were released on PS Vita recently, this made me wonder "Should I buy a Ps Vita?" but then I thought that something similar happened with the Nintendo 3DS (I've never had any Nintendo console and do not know what should be expected) I saw that, in fact, the PS Vita TV was about 3 times more accessible and I think it looks fun to play Visual Novels on a big screen, like on PS3, but everyone tells me that the 3DS is better in many ways, by the way, to play Japanese visual novels and games in general, do you think I should buy?

(This is a topic widely spoken, but sometimes you need to read more reviews)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Vita Tv or 3DS

#2 Post by SundownKid »

xPerfectSuicide wrote:Currently saw many Japanese games (including many visual novels) that were released on PS Vita recently, this made me wonder "Should I buy a Ps Vita?" but then I thought that something similar happened with the Nintendo 3DS (I've never had any Nintendo console and do not know what should be expected) I saw that, in fact, the PS Vita TV was about 3 times more accessible and I think it looks fun to play Visual Novels on a big screen, like on PS3, but everyone tells me that the 3DS is better in many ways, by the way, to play Japanese visual novels and games in general, do you think I should buy?

(This is a topic widely spoken, but sometimes you need to read more reviews)
The 3DS is undoubtedly the better game system in general. In terms of visual novels, it has:

* Phoenix Wright Trilogy
* Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies
* Phoenix Wright x Professor Layton (technically a puzzle game combined with Phoenix Wright style gameplay)
* 999 and Virtue's Last Reward (they are technically escape the room puzzle games combined with VN)
* Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi (otome)
Backwards compatible DS games:
* Hotel Dusk: Room 215
* Hotel Dusk: The Last Window
* Time Hollow
* Ace Attorney Investgations
* Ace Attorney Investgations 2 (fan translation only)
* Ghost Trick Phantom Detective (so awesome)
* Trace Memory

The Vita doesn't have as many games as the 3DS. But it does have:

* Danganronpa 1 and 2
* Steins;Gate
* Sweet Fuse (PSP, otome)
* Xblaze
* Corpse Party
* Grisaia
* Disgaea Infinite (PSP)

I'd say Danganronpa series is the main reason to get a Vita as a lot of the other Vita VNs can be played elsewhere like on PC, etc.

I definitely suggest getting a New 3DS XL first since you have never had a DS either. It is backwards compatible with both gens. It also has a ton of other awesome games like Fire Emblem Awakening, Fire Emblem Fates, Animal Crossing New Leaf, etc.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#3 Post by netravelr »

If you have an iOS device, you can get 999 and Ghost Trick on them which is really awesome. The 3DS has some good titles, and its less a "dying" platform as Vita isn't releasing many new titles from it.

That being said on the Vita end Danganronpa is very awesome, and the Vita also has the best game ever made: Persona 4: Golden.

Good luck in your decisions!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by SundownKid »

IMO the Vita could have had a lot of potential and been a serious competitor to the 3DS. But for some reason Sony let it die on the vine, by not funding very many games for it. They courted indies for the Vita but that wasn't enough to make people buy it since you could also play those indie games on PC. Then again it was kind of predictable considering the MASSIVE number of PSP games that went totally ignored and unlocalized. Sony just doesn't care much about their handheld division for some reason, at least in NA.

xPerfectSuicide
Regular
Completed: InuYame, My little Interview can't be this boring, In the middle of U days
Organization: Luis Design'S

#5 Post by xPerfectSuicide »

In that case I will try first with the Nintendo 3DS, then I could try to test with the Vita TV

One of the games I could mention on PSVita: God Eater, and Monster Hunter in the 3DS

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by SundownKid »

xPerfectSuicide wrote:In that case I will try first with the Nintendo 3DS, then I could try to test with the Vita TV

One of the games I could mention on PSVita: God Eater, and Monster Hunter in the 3DS
That seems like a good idea. Danganronpa series is also playable on the Vita TV as well as others. And it's been on sale for $40 before so it's a lot cheaper than a Vita.

If you are planning to get Monster Hunter then make sure you get the New 3DS XL instead of the regular 3DS XL. It has an extra stick that is needed for the game as well as enhanced graphics.

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#7 Post by Kailoto »

SundownKid wrote:
xPerfectSuicide wrote:In that case I will try first with the Nintendo 3DS, then I could try to test with the Vita TV

That seems like a good idea. Danganronpa series is also playable on the Vita TV as well as others. And it's been on sale for $40 before so it's a lot cheaper than a Vita.

If you are planning to get Monster Hunter then make sure you get the New 3DS XL instead of the regular 3DS XL. It has an extra stick that is needed for the game as well as enhanced graphics.
Yeah... in fact, if you're getting a 3DS at all, I'd recommend the new (New) one. Aside from the C-nub, it has dynamic tracking, which vastly improves the usability of 3D view, and faster load times. It's a noticeable improvement, and well worth the extra bucks.

Adding in my chip to the others: The World Ends With You (DS) is a must-play, and don't forget Fire Emblem: Awakening and the new one, Fire Emblem: Fates. Not strictuly visual novels, but they have some of the most unique mechanics and integration of gameplay and story, so they're great references from a design standpoint. Plus, they're like, really, really, really good games.

(And this is just a personal plug but get Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS if you can deal with strict JRPGs.)
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

One thing... don't buy PS TV (or Vita TV... or whatever you call it), they aren't compatible with all Vita games library... so you'd be better with Vita slim... or fat if you can find one since that thing have OLED display...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW