Splatoon

For the rest of your otaku life.
Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

Splatoon

#1 Post by Kailoto »

With the introduction of Squad and Private battles, I figured now was as good a time as any to post a topic for this game.

For those who don't know, Splatoon is a multiplayer shooter (Wii U) with a twist - your weapons can also ink the ground in your team's color, which is just as important as taking out opponents. It's less competitive than other games of the same genre, and the lack of voice chat coupled with the unique mechanics make it one of the few multiplayer games where it's okay to suck.

It's also really, really fun. I'm not usually one for multiplayer shooters, but a friend of mine convinced me to give the game a whirl, and it's quite unlike anything I've ever played. If you have a Wii U and somehow haven't bought this game yet, I cannot stress how much you need to play this. There's an incredible amount of content that only continues to increase, and it has the loveliest aesthetic I've seen in a videogame in a long time.

So yeah. I decided to make this thread to see what everyone else thinks of it, and also to facilitate the sharing of Nintendo Network IDs if anyone is interested in playing together online. (Mine's Kailoto by the way, if you want to add me.) With the new update there's a lot more options for playing with friends, and I wouldn't mind having a few more to jump into matches with!

As always, stay fresh!
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Splatoon

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Splatoon? I'm in love with it. A quirky, fashionable and most of all fun shooter, though I wouldn't say it's not competitive. The Ranked Battles (especially Tower Defense) can get pretty hardcore if even one of your teammembers doesn't know what they're doing - and you get no points for losing.

The weapons, while at first glance hilariously unbalanced, balance out against each other and against the different play modes nicely - some of the worst weapons in Turf War become the best weapons in Splat Zones (and vice versa), and the generally awful Blasters are magic against squid-ninjaing users of Aerosprays.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

Re: Splatoon

#3 Post by Kailoto »

Taleweaver wrote:Splatoon? I'm in love with it. A quirky, fashionable and most of all fun shooter, though I wouldn't say it's not competitive. The Ranked Battles (especially Tower Defense) can get pretty hardcore if even one of your teammembers doesn't know what they're doing - and you get no points for losing.
Oh yes, that part is certainly competitive. Made my way up to an A- with a Splatterscope... I will say, Nintendo made the right choice in excluding voice chat. So much rage.

Rollers and most shooters are all-around good. Chargers, especially long-range ones, are terrible in Turf Wars and most of Splat Zones, but are OP in Tower Control. Blasters are also great in TC, and some weapons, like the Inkbrush or the new weapons, take some skill, but are pretty good.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.