5%
Others
11%

Total votes: 183

Jake
Support Hero

Re: What console are you using now?

#31 Post by Jake »

Sin wrote:You don't need an HD TV to enjoy the PS3, or the 360 for that matter.
Conversely, I found getting an HD TV made my PS2 look uglier.

Or rather, show up just how low-res it had been all along, which I hadn't previously noticed 'cause I was used to the picture, and 'cause CRT TVs give a kind of free AA/interpolation effect due to the way they work.

:/
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

chunderbunny
Regular
Projects: SSS:Renaissance, Canadense (WIP)

#32 Post by chunderbunny »

My 360 was almost unplayable until I bought the RGB SCART cable for my CRT TV. Without the text is so blurry you can barely read it. With RGB SCART everything is pretty crisp. I've seen Jake's HDTV and the picture is certainly better, but hugely so.

Jake
Support Hero

#33 Post by Jake »

chunderbunny wrote:I've seen Jake's HDTV and the picture is certainly better, but hugely so.
I presume you mean "not hugely so" - and I'd largely agree, for videogame consoles. It's noticably crisper and higher-res, but not critically so, because the people who make consoles and videogames recognise that some people don't have HD TVs, and size their text so you can still read it perfectly well at 'standard' definitions. It's not critical to get an HDTV to enjoy a 360 or a PS3 properly, it just helps.

What it is critical for is running OSX in anything approaching a sensible resolution. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#34 Post by LVUER »

So you don't need a HDTV to play PS3? What a relief... I think I read somewhere that state HDTV is a must to play PS3. That must be a false statement huh.

Well, I don't think I want to spent >$500 just for a TV. Better use it to buy a new PC or a new console (like Wii) ^_^

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#35 Post by PyTom »

From what I understand, neither the PS3 nor the XBOX 360 require a HDTV to operate. However, at some of the games available for those consoles have problems when played on a SDTV, mostly due to important text being too small to read.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sin
Veteran

#36 Post by Sin »

PyTom wrote:However, at some of the games available for those consoles have problems when played on a SDTV, mostly due to important text being too small to read.
That's true, but it's quite rare on the whole.
The only game I had this problem with was Condemned 2. Some of the interface text was barely readable and parts of the menues and loading screens had interlace-lines incorporated in the GUI (horizontal line every other pixel), which caused those parts to flicker immensely on my TV. The game itself was still playable and I enjoyed it a lot. The game wasn't heavy on text anyways.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#37 Post by azureXtwilight »

Whew, glad many people voted!
If I convert PS3's price to rupiahs, it'll be 5 million rupiahs, and a HD Tv'll cost me another 3-4.5 million rupiahs.(Too much for an average schoolgirl-eh guess I'll cancel that wish)
They said playing without a HD TV only make the graphics the same with PS2, is that true?
:shock:

Sin
Veteran

#38 Post by Sin »

azureXtwilight wrote:Whew, glad many people voted!
If I convert PS3's price to rupiahs, it'll be 5 million rupiahs, and a HD Tv'll cost me another 3-4.5 million rupiahs.(Too much for an average schoolgirl-eh guess I'll cancel that wish)
Hehe. I have a 1000 rupiah bill. I was told it's not worth a lot xD.. considering I got it for free.
They said playing without a HD TV only make the graphics the same with PS2, is that true?
Not true. It looks sharper on an HD TV but the graphics still look great, just not as sharp on a regular TV.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by DaFool »

Jake wrote:
chronoluminaire wrote:I'd quite like to have a Wii, for Zelda, and/or a DS, for Phoenix Wright and Professor Someone-or-Other's Puzzle Adventure. But I don't feel the lack. I have plenty of things to fill my time with :)
I'm in a similar position - except I went ahead and bought the DS, and just only tend to use it when I'm on an aeroplane or a train or something. Or recently, waiting at the dentist for a checkup, 'cause I know their clock varies all over the place and doesn't stick to real time and thus I have to turn up twenty minutes before the appointment time in case I get told I'm late. ;-)
I must be getting old, since most of my younger colleages have their PSP and DS and play them during breaks. Thing is, once I get either of them, I'll spend a lot of time hunting for isos (you think most games are legit in this country? :lol: ). And that's a lot of time wasted just surfing torrent sites. Then again, I could just grab whatever everyone else is playing at the moment...

It isn't advisable to be taking out high-tech gadgets in public places lest one gets snatched or something (especially when most other people are noticeably less affluent). So I don't know when is a good time to be playing a portable. I've also recently started driving to work again (after getting tired of my 'environmentally-friendly' commuting lifestyle). So my IPOD is fully utilized. But if I had a PSP or DS, it would be gathering dust like my Playstation and Dreamcast.

And I don't have time to play a full console at home -- I'm working on a major VN project, and I only need a 1Ghz computer for that. Plus there's anime to watch...
I don't have cable subscription nor do I watch TV anymore except the news... but only because my father is watching it.

I think the best times to get a console are in senior highschool and early college. I remember I was most into gaming during 2nd year college. 4rth year I was already experiencing hell so after that, not much time anymore.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth

#40 Post by azureXtwilight »

Sin wrote:
azureXtwilight wrote:Whew, glad many people voted!
Hehe. I have a 1000 rupiah bill. I was told it's not worth a lot xD.. considering I got it for free.
Not true. It looks sharper on an HD TV but the graphics still look great, just not as sharp on a regular TV.
100 rupiahs bill is worth buying ten candies.

I play VN most of the time, but to get rid of my **** brother when he annoyed me, I play console.
Still, graphics aren't what I'm looking for, it's the fun and simpliness. LoL!

LVUER
King of Lolies

#41 Post by LVUER »

Ten candies for 100 rupiahs? What kind of candies are those? Don't eat them! They potentially hazardous for your health.

1 rupiah is about equivalent of 0.0001 dollar or 0.01 yen.
And our average income of average normal person (in Indonesia) is one million to three million rupiahs.
Eating outside in normal place (not restaurant), usually we spent 6.000 to 15.000 rupiahs.

Now, count for yourself ^_^

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator

#42 Post by azureXtwilight »

I knew! LoL!
A price of a good candy is 100.
I spend 4500 to eat a time, go to Medan or Siantar, here's a lot cheaper and clean, too.
My neighbor's HD TV sucks, made TV programs not good.
Right now I'm focusing on Wii!

Karasu_Noir
Regular

#43 Post by Karasu_Noir »

...Heh, what kind of food do you eat?
Never mind, as for the topic, I choose DS and PS3.
DS is nice everywhere, while PS3's graphics are way too cool.
A life is a life, there's no need to rush anything.
Just sit back and relax.
But don't take too long.
.............Or darkness will eat you.

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#44 Post by yummy »

Yay! Finally got a ps2.
I've been starting playing Ar Tonelico and Okami. Both are so much time draining that I lack some sleep sometimes haha :D

LVUER
King of Lolies

#45 Post by LVUER »

Buying PS2 at times like this? Better buy Wii ^_^
No, just kidding, since I myself want to buy PSX (PS-1) now. My game library has exceeded 300 games ^_^

If I can I also want to buy Dreamcast also, but the rarity of the games makes me think twice.