Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

For the rest of your otaku life.
Sin
Veteran

Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#1 Post by Sin »

I'm sure everyone has got at least one game in their collection that they had high hopes for but turned out to be terribly disappointing.
Personally I pride myself with the fact that I almost never get disappointed, simply because I rarely buy games on impulse or buy into hype (I believe it when I see the final product and read the reviews). I never preorder games either.

The only times I've gambled with game purchases I've been lucky enough to find something I truly like. For instance, Haunting Ground was a game I bought solely because of it's cover (and the bargain price) but it turned out to be an amazing game! Despite it's so-so reviews I consider it to be one of the gems in my collection.

I can say for sure that the worst game in my collection is Demolition Girl. Fortunately it's the kind of game that's so bad it becomes great! So no real disappointment there. I knew exactly what I was buying.

The only game I can think of that really disappointed me recently was Hellgate London. I was expecting Diablo 2-gameplay but got a mediocre repetetive shooter. I wanted to like it so much but I eventually reached the conclusion that it was shit.

So which game (or games) taints your own collection?

PS. I used the word "collection" a lot so I should probably point out that I never trade in games. Not even the bad ones. The only game I've ever traded in was Athens 2004, a game I won in a speed button contest for which I got Ico instead! 8D
You could mention games you've already traded in but I think it's more fun if you post games you currently own but regret buying and probably won't play ever again.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#2 Post by Vatina »

Hmmm a really bad game I once traded in, I can't even remember the name of. I think it was Dragon Slayer or something like that for the ps1. I regret trading it in though... I got so little in return, that I would rather have kept it and never play it again :P

A game I still own? That would be Unlimited Saga. The system in the game is hard, but also stupidly frustrating. I can't say I hate it all that much though, I still feel tempted to play it sometimes. I just doubt I will ever finish just one of the routes in the game.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... I guess I was kind of disappointed with Lionhead's the Movies. The movie making features weren't really that powerful, and the sim part of the game was really under developed.

Also, I was kind of disappointed with Bioware's Mass Effect. The main campaign was literally over and done with in just mere hours, and the vast majority of the side missions were very boring. Man... >_>

Sin
Veteran

#4 Post by Sin »

I was so close to buying Unlimited Saga when it first came out. The art was so pretty ^^ and it was made by Squeenix so it couldn't be bad right? Right.
After playing the game at a friend's house I changed my mind.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Ar Tonelico. Refer to this link
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 3&start=15
to know why I really dissaponted with this supposedly great games.

And then FFVII Dirge of the Cerberus. Only the FMV is cool. The rest is just a so-so game (good for usual game but dissapointing for FFVII label that stick on it).

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#6 Post by rioka »

Hrmmm... My Sims (Wii). It's a very nice game but it goes so quickly (at least for me) plus at the price it was selling for at launch, I should have waited. :|

Otherwise, I'm usually happy with the games I buy. Though if it counts, it's usually games I get as presents that I don't like as much.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by musical74 »

I don't have either of these anymore but two games came to mind while racking my brain for worst game bought...

tie between Saga Frontuer and Granstream Saga, both for the PS 1...Saga Frontier was GREAT for *what the heck do I do now* and Granstream Saga...it was a lousy game in my mind. For the most part I LOVE RPGs but I don't care for a RPG where you have a very very very very bare bones idea what you are supposed to do or where to go <Saga Froniter> and don't care for games where it's *forget any semblance of happiness* - Granstream Saga tended to be very depressing if I remember correctly, and also very *you lose all your friends because you are this evil person but don't realize it*....UGH.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Mmmm... Fahrenheit, also known as Indigo Prophecy overseas. All the interviews, trailers and stuff put "choices and their consequences" forward. Even the demo showed that and it felt *really* cool, like you could actually pick different paths and have to deal with your choices in subsequent chapters of the game.
Now, the game wasn't *bad*. My first playthrough was really fun, the mood is great and all that. The story kinda sucked at the end though. But worst of all was my second playthrough : I wanted to see what could change. And suddenly the whole illusion fell down : what I thought were choices ended up being tricks to bring you back constantly into a *very* linear storyline. Sure, you could choose to pick up a vase before feeding the fishes, and you could choose NOT to shower!... zomg! But uh... no, that's not what I expected. And "consequences" were nowhere to be found.

Worst of all? At some point, you have to find a culprit with the clues he left. It happens you also play the culprit and the point seems to be to put as little clues as possible. As the officer, you're supposed to find 5 clues. When I played again, I realized you could play *very* well and leave only 4 clues. I thought "woah, so maybe you *can* make that part unwinnable! What will happen then? :D".... Result? Suddenly, you're only required to get 4 clues........... *bang*

Another disappointment was Exodus Guilty, the AnimePlay DVD from Hirameki. It's so obvious that the three parts were supposed to be a single game with multiple points of view that the terribly non-interactive result of this version was....... appaling. And they still left *some* "puzzles" for which they had to show you the solution since you couldn't switch to other time periods yourself. That sucked very much :/...

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Cybeat »

Shadow the Hedgehog. I didn't like it so much. The story wasn't good and the gameplay/controlling was terrible.

That one Monster Truck game for Wii (not Excite Truck). Boooo.

Bleach for PSP. I don't know if it was ever released in English, but the game had very few characters to play with. Not just that, it wasn't entertaining either.

Mario Hoops for DS. Fun, but doesn't last long.

Touch the Dead for DS. Fun, but too repetitive and is EXTREMELY HARD!

There's more, but this is all I can think of.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#10 Post by Alessio »

monele wrote:Another disappointment was Exodus Guilty, the AnimePlay DVD from Hirameki.
Ugh. Then I shouldn't have bought the trilogy. Only played some 30 mins so far...

The worst I can remember was Anne McCaffrey's Freedom - First Resistance. Boring. Also Police Quest IV: Open Season was pretty bad. Completely unlogical, and that's quite an achievement for a Police game.
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#11 Post by mikey »

Alessio wrote:Also Police Quest IV: Open Season was pretty bad. Completely unlogical, and that's quite an achievement for a Police game.
As it happens, me and my brother LOVED this game - for all the atmosphere, the cool manual, the slow progress... we were so into it, it's one of the best gaming memories I have. It might have been a "bad game" and gotten bad reviews, but my brother wanted it because of the box and we didn't read any gaming mags, or anything. At that time, I guess every game was special, and this was one of our first, and we felt like policemen, solving a case.

So anyway, it's terribly subjective, all this. :P

Sapphire Dragon
Regular

#12 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

"The worst I can remember was Anne McCaffrey's Freedom"

Thats a shame, never palyed any games based on her stuff but shes one of my fav authors with the pern series.

Id say the biggest dissapointment for me has to be devil may cry 2, the rest of the series is fine but thats just a huge let down, we pre ordered it too....
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

Sin
Veteran

#13 Post by Sin »

Cybeat wrote:Shadow the Hedgehog. I didn't like it so much. The story wasn't good and the gameplay/controlling was terrible.
That one Monster Truck game for Wii (not Excite Truck). Boooo.
Bleach for PSP. I don't know if it was ever released in English, but the game had very few characters to play with. Not just that, it wasn't entertaining either.
Mario Hoops for DS. Fun, but doesn't last long.
Touch the Dead for DS. Fun, but too repetitive and is EXTREMELY HARD!
There's more, but this is all I can think of.
Wow, that's a lot. You should read reviews more often.
But seriously.. Monster trucks? Shadow the hedgehow? You should known better.

Personally, I don't rely too much on reviews, but they're a great tool. I already know what kind of games I like. I would never buy a Sonic game or Mario X game, where X is a sport. Not because those games are terribly bad (except for Shadow; all Sonic games are bad), but because they don't appeal to me as a gamer with a perticular taste in games. For instance Gears or war never appealed to me either. Too much macho and not enough catgirls.

Once a game catches my attention I read reviews to make sure there aren't any major flaws in the game.
I suggest you spend your money more carefully in the future. Also, never preorder anything!

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Cybeat »

Well, I have different opinions on games. If it's fun and has good gameplay, I'll buy it. If it doesn't have my favorite kind of character in it, I'd still buy it. I agree with you on the review thing, though. I look at gameplays before I buy the games, too. Those games I listed and bought were mistakes. I'll go with your advice.

I learned that after Sonic Adventure 2, his games start to suck. I won't buy his games anymore. And for that Monster Truck game, I knew it was going to suck, so I rented it.

Let me name one more game that I was a bit disappointed with. Guilty Gear Isuka. Did this game delete some of the attack moves? I could've sworn, a lot of the moves were deleted.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Sin
Veteran

#15 Post by Sin »

lol yeah. Nowadays it's like a tradition for the enthusiasts to get excited over the news of a new Sonic game, hoping that it will be better than the last one, but then universally get disappointed when they actually get to play it.

People are already doing it with Sonic Unleashed. It's the same old "This time will be different" and "Finally! back to form" but all I saw in that trailer they released was Sonic running and jumping. Whoopdee-f**ing-doo! xD

It's still the same developer that made all the other shitty games so I don't get why people are getting so excited.