Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

For the rest of your otaku life.
vaanknight
Regular
Completed: Happy Weird-Day! How a freckled fairy can save your world (Or get more freckles in the process...)"
Projects: Nameless 2D Fighting Game

Re: Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#106 Post by vaanknight »

I liked FF X-2!! it would be unfair to put it on the level of FFX, but it's got more than sexy lasses... there are loads of things to do, it's sfun to see so many costumes and effects (although they get old after a while), it's quite challenging at some points, and also lets me be at ease knowing Yuna is happy after all. ¬3¬ What I really did NOT enjoy was the childish feeling it has... like the part where you have to give balloons to ppl dressed as a moogle... geez...

What I do regret buying is... Both Metal Gear Acids... and quite frankly, Portable OPS too. The series would've died after MGS 3 if it wasn't for MGS4, which wasn't THAT epic either.

AND Devil May Cry 2. I still play it sometimes, but it's honestly BORING, too easy and pointless, and the voice acting sucks as nothing has sucked since I found out there was a Princess maker 5 whithout translation.

Medal of Honour Heroes for PSP was pretty dissapointing too... and God of War Chains of Olympus, although it didn't quite suck, it just has to live beneath the shadow of GoW 2, which was the king of PS2.

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#107 Post by blankd »

I think the BATTLE system in FFX-2 was pretty good (awkward clothing aside...), but I think everyone can agree that it felt painfully forced from a "canon" perspective.

Jake
Support Hero

#108 Post by Jake »

vaanknight wrote:I liked FF X-2!! it would be unfair to put it on the level of FFX, but it's got more than sexy lasses...
Conversely, I think FFX is a very good candidate for "worst or most disappointing game I ever bought". It's the only thing in my PS2 library I really regret having paid actual money for - even counting the copy of Okami I replaced with a Wii copy before I even had a chance to play it - so I had some trouble understanding what you meant here for a second!
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#109 Post by Fluffycrow »

Jake wrote:Conversely, I think FFX is a very good candidate for "worst or most disappointing game I ever bought". It's the only thing in my PS2 library I really regret having paid actual money for - even counting the copy of Okami I replaced with a Wii copy before I even had a chance to play it - so I had some trouble understanding what you meant here for a second!
Getting Okami for Wii rather than PS2 is definitely an unpleasant turn of events, but I'm curious as to why you didn't like FFX...

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#110 Post by blankd »

Fluffycrow wrote:
Jake wrote:Conversely, I think FFX is a very good candidate for "worst or most disappointing game I ever bought". It's the only thing in my PS2 library I really regret having paid actual money for - even counting the copy of Okami I replaced with a Wii copy before I even had a chance to play it - so I had some trouble understanding what you meant here for a second!
Getting Okami for Wii rather than PS2 is definitely an unpleasant turn of events, but I'm curious as to why you didn't like FFX...
I am not Fluffycrow but-

Tidus is an idiot. The most pivotal and plot vital information is not located in a cutscene but rather a lone, easily missed NPC that you may or may not talk to (due to fixed camera angles). The plot proceeds and assumes that you talked to this NPC when it does its magnificent asspull of how you defeat the big bad, who looks like a tick.

Most of the character designs are doofy. Blitzball is....nrrgh. You have no idea how thankful I was that I didn't actually shell out money for that game. The Sphere Grid is also SILLY. Any person who thinks that connect-a-dot STAT GROWTH is cool needs a good slap. Skill trees have logic, but STAT GROWTH? That's just wasting my time to bop in a sphere.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#111 Post by LVUER »

FF that I regret to buy is FF-XII. The characters are bland. The story is boring and not FF-esque. There are no (or little) romance, the summon sucks, the limit break/mist (though quite fun to do) needs lots of MP to cast (why not they build another bar specially for it), and the worst is the game tries to milk out your time by implementing MMORPG elements in it...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Jake
Support Hero

#112 Post by Jake »

Fluffycrow wrote:Getting Okami for Wii rather than PS2 is definitely an unpleasant turn of events
Because the Wii is so sucky that it can't even stand up to a console from the previous generation which was outclassed by the Wii's predecessor? Or just because you don't like motion control?

I figured it was worth the £3 from a supermarket bargain bin it cost me to see whether the motion control added anything to a game which had a significant 'drawing' aspect. Also I think the white Wii case looks nicer than the blue PS2 case.
Fluffycrow wrote:I'm curious as to why you didn't like FFX...
The short version is "because I thought it was horrible".

BlankD covered a lot of the reasons I didn't like it. Tidus is a big reason, because I'd like to be able to empathise with the guy I'm ostensibly playing as, but he was so much of a goofy, gormless idiot that it was next to impossible... not to mention that Yuna managed to be more uninteresting and annoying than Rinoa before her! But honestly, there was only one character in the entire game with an all-round decent design (Auron) and he really felt like he'd been jammed in from another game which had a better character and scenario designer.

BlitzBall was an annoying incredible waste of time, but I was only forced to 'play' it once (I honestly don't understand how anyone could think it was worth voluntarily going back to) so it wasn't a huge bearing on my dislike for the game, there have been short sections I didn't like in other FFs as well. But I think it's indicative of the problem that has plagued the FF series since 7; it seems like Square doesn't really know why people like the series. So they've been looking back at previous successes and picking bits of them and trying to replicate those bits, but generally over-emphasising them so much that they become ridiculous caricatures of the original success, and crowd out the rest of the design.

So Cloud was a successful protagonist, and he was taciturn and moody, so if they make Squall even more quiet and even more troubled then he'll be a success as well, right? No, he just comes across as exaggeratedly mopey. All the snowboarding and motorcycling minigames in 7 and things like Triple Triad in 8 were a success and people liked them, so lets make another minigame in 10! Only this time it'll be like an ultra-minigame with realtime sections and odd rules and movement and we'll tie it into the plot and...! And! And it turns out to be so initially confusing and permanently frustrating that nobody I know played it more than the once which was absolutely required by the plot. (Not to mention that Tidus was supposed to be an awesome Blitzball star, but actually he pretty much sucked)

The sphere grid is another example - really, in the default mode, it gives you a choice between progressing with experience and levelling up in a very linear fashion, the same way you would in any other FF game, or messing up your stats/skills so much that it starts to become difficult to progress in the game. Yes, it's great that Lulu can cast Cure, but it came at the cost of two more-damaging fire spells so you're lacking in offensive power and need more than an extra cure to last out the extra battle time. And this is saying something, since was otherwise possibly the easiest and least-challenging FF game I've ever played. If you stick on the 'normal' path for your characters, you don't really have much in the way of choice and you might as well be levelling up normally; the only difference is that you have to remember to go and level up instead of it happening automatically.

Now, I didn't play through the whole game, because I got bored and annoyed with it. I think I managed something like ten to fifteen hours... but I didn't feel compelled to put any more time into it at all, after that. There was one small innovation that I liked in the battle system - the visible priority queue - but I think the only thing I can really say that I've properly enjoyed from FFX was the Black Mages versions of a couple of the tracks from the soundtrack.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#113 Post by Vatina »

Now that we're on the topic:

I liked FFX a lot (yes, even Blitzball). But then again, I loved FF8 too :P I didn't think too much about the grid system, and the summoning system was great fun. I also loved all the things you could do in the game. FFX-2 was meh, pretty entertaining game first time through, but a tame sequel. FFX worked fine without it, I think.

FFXII... was painful. As for why, Lvuer pretty much said it.

So... to each their own :P

Fluffycrow
Regular
Projects: Akita Files (WIP, mystery/otome)

#114 Post by Fluffycrow »

Jake wrote:
Fluffycrow wrote:Getting Okami for Wii rather than PS2 is definitely an unpleasant turn of events
Because the Wii is so sucky that it can't even stand up to a console from the previous generation which was outclassed by the Wii's predecessor? Or just because you don't like motion control?
Both, really. I think motion control is okay as long as it is done well, but in this case it absolutely wasn't.

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#115 Post by Chansel »

I can't believe you guys didn't like FFX ! I really loved it :) And I was totally addiced to the blitzball mini-game XD
But then again, everyone likes different things. So yeah *shrugs*
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

Jake
Support Hero

#116 Post by Jake »

Chansel wrote:I can't believe you guys didn't like FFX !
I'm curious, was it the first FF game you played? It's just that I have this long-standing theory that most people think the first FF game that they play is awesome regardless of how bad it was.

(My first FF game was FF6, and I still think it was great, so I certainly fit the notion. But then, I enjoyed Mystic Quest more than FFX...)

Chansel
Veteran
Projects: School's Out! -- A GxB or GxG VN/Dating Sim

#117 Post by Chansel »

Strangely enough, FFX-2 O.o And even though I really liked the battle-systyem, the story was kinds 'meh'.
Image ~ A GxB or GxG Visual Novel/Dating Sim

playswithtribbles
Regular
Projects: 'Paths of Twilight' A Fantasy GxB game with a RPG flavor. Sprites: 18% Script: 35-38% BGs: 18% Music: 100%

#118 Post by playswithtribbles »

Ha, I love how my comment brought on a Final Fantasy war! Mwa ha ha ha haa!

'hem'

But seriously I love all FF games! Though I really was dissapointed with X-2. It just felt like it was really bad (or really good?) fan-service. Maybe I would have liked it better if it was all hot FF guys... Yum.

I can see it now... One part Edge from 4, one part Vincent Valentine, two parts Sephiroth, oh! and Setzer from 6 (I love a gamblin man.), Squall... mm ... Why, oh why, haven't they made a game like that yet?
-Dark Helmet-"And so you see Lonestar, that evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb."

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#119 Post by LVUER »

FF XIII-2? Where they only feature all the hot guys, with bare chest and sexy biceps? ^_^
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

playswithtribbles
Regular
Projects: 'Paths of Twilight' A Fantasy GxB game with a RPG flavor. Sprites: 18% Script: 35-38% BGs: 18% Music: 100%

#120 Post by playswithtribbles »

LVUER wrote:FF XIII-2? Where they only feature all the hot guys, with bare chest and sexy biceps? ^_^

Works for me. 'drools'
-Dark Helmet-"And so you see Lonestar, that evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb."