Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

For the rest of your otaku life.
Lyyli
Regular

Re: Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#151 Post by Lyyli »

It must've been Eternal Eyes for Playstation :S
I never completed that game because it was so slow and frustrating.
Meep.

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#152 Post by Riviera »

Thousand Arms. Everyone raves about it being so funny and such, but... I just couldn't get into it.

It does the same thing as P3 does, and I LOVE P3, but the system in P3 is less sleazy, in my opinion.

Both games basically reward you for stringing along a lot of people, but Thousand Arms does it while making the main character come off as a total lech, a big fat perv. It wasn't done in a way I found funny, so I didn't really appreciate that.
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#153 Post by CaesMRaenes »

I think, for me, the top few games that disappointed me were: Lux Pain, FF8, FFX-2, and FFXII off the top of my head. I know I'm reopening old comments but I just want to put my opinion out there.

Lux Pain was fun but had a crappy ending. If they worked on the storyline more, it would have been quite a successful DS game with mystery, Trauma Center-ish gameplay, and relationships.

FF8 had the worst character development throughout the game. It was a good idea, I have to admit, but the characters were a bore. Squall was emo. Rinoa was Mary-Sue. Selphie was a hyper sunshine. I think the only characters I liked were Zell and Irvine. Other than that, loved the battle, magic, and GF systems and even the card games. The story was interesting too. Just... characters need worked on.

FFX-2, I felt, was made to satisfy fetishes and fandoms. It would have been interesting if the story took off in a different direction that lead to the same ending but it was just all fanservice-y. Maybe too much for me. Otherwise, battles were fun. Monsters were difficult. Plot twists kept my interest. It was just disappointing otherwise.

FFXII was a good but a poor game at the same time. Van and Penelo were totally unneeded. The original idea of those two characters were to connect with the younger audience to increase sales since the main character was originally planned to either be Basch or Balthier. Plus, the team thought it would be something to see the story from the point of view of bystanders. An awesome idea, but not executed efficiently enough. I loved the voice acting and the environment. It reminded me of the Tactics games which were my most favorite in the series. The battle system was interesting and the guild hunts were a whole lotta heck of fun. *_* This would have been an amazing game if worked on a little more.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

cloudyssky
Veteran
Completed: Alone
Projects: Many failed ones

#154 Post by cloudyssky »

I bought a Medal of Honor game for my Wii a few weeks ago. I hate it. It's actually worse than the ones for the PS2 I used to play all the time.
Projects:
Alone- (Horror/Sci-Fi) Complete! Link
Demokratiya- (Adventure/Action) I'm kind of winging it with this one. Goal is 100,000 words. Yeah, it's gonna take a while.
{Last worked on Sept/28 : Word count (coding and all) ~4500}

LordShiranai
Regular
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest

#155 Post by LordShiranai »

Ugh. Probably too many to count, but bad sequels of good games are always the most disappointing. "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" for PC was a massive disappointment for me since I remember the original POR being so awesome. More recently, "Lunar: Dragon Song" for the DS.
Don't Blame Me. I Voted for Vermin Supreme.

ThirstingHeart
Regular
Projects: Nothing yet, though I'm more likely to do art then make a game itself.
Organization: Moose Cake Productions

#156 Post by ThirstingHeart »

"Witch's Wish" for DS.
The art looked cute and the gameplay had a good idea, but it was so glitchy...

Before that it was "Rockin' Pretty", also for DS.
It had the caption, "Will you choose romance or your love of music?" There was no romance at all! They only had one male sprite and he didn't do squat! Total waste of money.
========================================================================
I will draw free character sprites for otome games that are 100% scripted and non-commercial.
========================================================================

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#157 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#158 Post by Alex »

LordShiranai wrote:bad sequels of good games are always the most disappointing
Totally agreed!
Still Life 2 - awful graphics... I threw it away after 1 minute of playing...((

redpanther

#159 Post by redpanther »

Lyyli wrote:It must've been Eternal Eyes for Playstation :S
I never completed that game because it was so slow and frustrating.
I think Eternal Eyes is one piece classic of underrate game.

For me the game that I think I wasted money on it is Sokoban Basic 2 for playstation.It's not bad and the musics are awesome,but it's just not my type at all.

kirakiraxpikapika

#160 Post by kirakiraxpikapika »

Hmm, probably: Lux Pain, and FF: Revenant Wings(i'm not sure bout the title x_X)

Lux Pain: The ending is foolish. What the heck!? Its not like they'd put a 2nd game for it. And Atsuki's background is completely USELESS since it has no use for the storyline at all. And wtf is the affections for? It didn't affect the story at all and just unlock the little adv scenes with other characters. Unlike Time Hollow which at least gives justice on the ending and not just put an "okay, saved the day gotta go!" crappy ending.

FF: RW:: worst mechanics. i just finished the game without ever getting used with the new system.... and i just had to took cheats cause my characters just won't stay alive for long and dies like idiots easily.... i love the old battle system... or a battle system like KH: 325/2 day or Phantasy Star. -_-

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#161 Post by sayuri »

CaesMRaenes wrote:
FFXII was a good but a poor game at the same time. Van and Penelo were totally unneeded. The original idea of those two characters were to connect with the younger audience to increase sales since the main character was originally planned to either be Basch or Balthier. Plus, the team thought it would be something to see the story from the point of view of bystanders. An awesome idea, but not executed efficiently enough. I loved the voice acting and the environment. It reminded me of the Tactics games which were my most favorite in the series. The battle system was interesting and the guild hunts were a whole lotta heck of fun. *_* This would have been an amazing game if worked on a little more.
Personally, I thought the battle system was effing terrible. Myself, I'm a turn-based gal. Admittedly, I am not the best gamer. Every time I try to be 'cool' and play a shooter or sports game, I make a fool of myself. Hand-eye coordination fail. So, anything I can't take my sweet time with is frustrating. Even with hybrid games like FFXIII and Valkyria Chronicles, I didn't feel pressured at any point and I could plan my strategy (while still having that immersed feeling). On the other hand, I enjoy a good button masher. A few that come to mind are Eternal Sonata and Kingdom Hearts (and Pokemon when I get really into it, lol). Eternal Sonata, I don't think a lot of people have played it, but it's a big favorite of mine. The biggest drawback (for some people) is its linearity. It is very easy to obtain every single item and the weapons don't 'branch out', so to speak. Stats are automatic, and the most customizable aspect of the game is what accessories and specials you use, and that is only near the end where you have some sort of selection. Anyway, the battle system has come under fire a bit but I like it. Turn-based, but each character/monster gets a few seconds to attack. You move around the field, spam the attack button, and when you have only a few milliseconds left you hit the special button. Simple, but fun. Of course, as the game progresses there are a few quirks added to the battle system but nothing crazy. Still, the most options you will ever have for special attacks during a battle is 4, and only 2 are accessible at one time.

My point is, the battle system in FFXII didn't fit in any of those categories. You didn't really have to DO anything. The computer played for you. When 90% of the battle is preparation and the rest is like watching a newbie World of Warcraft battle, there's an issue. I think FFXIII perfected what FFXII attempted and failed at. Perfect blend of strategy and interaction. Even when characters attack on autopilot, you are keeping track of so many different elements that it never feels boring (okay, maybe spamming Death at huge ass elephant turtles isn't my idea of a fun time). Not to mention the change in field makes every battle so much more grandiose. I'm not even taking graphics into consideration. I mean, FFX wasn't as shiny as FFXII was but even random battles felt much more cinematic.

As you can probably tell, FFXII was one of my disappointments @_@.