Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

For the rest of your otaku life.

Re: Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#61 Post by Guest »

PyTom wrote:
monele wrote:And again in D&D, you can be Lawful Good but also Lawful Evil.
Actually, it looks like they eliminated Lawful Evil in D&D 4.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080602a
Well yeah, gee. Wouldn't want the sheeple actually thinkin' about stuff, like what evil actually is. Though from a web-page that proudly announces:

"The struggle of good heroes against evil villains is one D&D’s core tenants." [emphasis added] I wouldn't expect too much.

PM

(logged out again while I was reading, dammit!)

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#62 Post by Der Tor »

Now that someone mentioned a harvest moon clone in this list i am gonna make an entry too... as i i always thought that harvest moon itself was pretty bad and it was propably one of the worst games I ever played...

I heard a lot of praise for harvest moon back in the days and i thought that this is exactly my type of game...
But it turned out to be SUCH a dissapointment...
I don't know maybe it was because what i was playing was the first SNES version back then and maybe the other versions where better don't know...
But i couldn't imagine how this game could become any good in any version as it was just so bad...
It was SO time consuming and repetative... with the time i wasted for just one playthrough of this game i could have easily made some real grops and grow or taken care of some real fields... as it took many months for just one playthrough...

But maybe it took me a little longer than others... cause after all it took me many days to figure out how to cut trees... as i always tried choping the trees with my axe... little did i know that in this game the only way to make firewood is not by choping trees, but by choping the roots of the the tries that are allready choped and that you can't chop...

I also never figured out how to get animals... and basicly all the aspects where so unrealistic and so much differen't from reality... it was just a big time waster...

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#63 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Spectrobes was a piece of crap.

The animation was bad, the story was unoriginal and uninspired, the battle system was awful, collecting was boring, digging was monotonous, the whole thing was insipid. It copied the formula but none of the charm that made the other one so successful.

I used to rock out on Pokemon Red and Blue back in the day. Good times!!
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#64 Post by thebackup »

I'm not disappointed in a lot of games, but...

James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire for Gamecube. IIRC, everything else about it was great until the ending scene, too short IMO. Enemy voice acting and physics could use significant improvement (I mean, you shoot an enemy from the back and he goes doing backflips?!).

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#65 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Narcissu 2.

It was recommended to me because I liked Katawa Shoujo's treatment of disabilities. Then I ragequit halfway into the second self-defeating monologue by the main character about how her life was over and she missed being normal.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#66 Post by LVUER »

Der Tor wrote:Now that someone mentioned a harvest moon clone in this list i am gonna make an entry too... as i i always thought that harvest moon itself was pretty bad and it was propably one of the worst games I ever played...

I heard a lot of praise for harvest moon back in the days and i thought that this is exactly my type of game...
But it turned out to be SUCH a dissapointment...
I don't know maybe it was because what i was playing was the first SNES version back then and maybe the other versions where better don't know...
But i couldn't imagine how this game could become any good in any version as it was just so bad...
It was SO time consuming and repetative... with the time i wasted for just one playthrough of this game i could have easily made some real grops and grow or taken care of some real fields... as it took many months for just one playthrough...

But maybe it took me a little longer than others... cause after all it took me many days to figure out how to cut trees... as i always tried choping the trees with my axe... little did i know that in this game the only way to make firewood is not by choping trees, but by choping the roots of the the tries that are allready choped and that you can't chop...

I also never figured out how to get animals... and basicly all the aspects where so unrealistic and so much differen't from reality... it was just a big time waster...
Well, Harvest Moon itself is not bad. It just not for everyone. Too bad it's your first SNES game (I love Harvest Moon and still play all of them until now, except for N64 one since I don't have it).

Fortunately for me, Chrono Trigger is my first SNES game (actually Chrono is the main reason I have SNES) and I completely love it.
Tsundere Lightning wrote:Narcissu 2.
It was recommended to me because I liked Katawa Shoujo's treatment of disabilities. Then I ragequit halfway into the second self-defeating monologue by the main character about how her life was over and she missed being normal.
Narcissu 2 is your worst game? It seems you don't buy too many games ^_^

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#67 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Narcissu is still one of the best doujin games ever made. That's economy of form right there. Minimalist backgrounds, just enough text to get into the story and a very moving and honest one at that.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#68 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

I'll definitely try Narcissu - I've heard too many good things about it not to - but I was dissapoint by Narcissu II.

Also, to stay on track. Most disappointing game other than that: Shock: Social Science Fiction, a tabletop RPG. It... was not what I expected it to be at all. It's a good game, but I couldn't grok it or like it.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Animality

#69 Post by Animality »

One game that played poorly for me is the second Xenosaga which I think cut many of the originals good points. another game that could have been great but came off as being barely entertaining at all is Darksiders.
"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity."

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#70 Post by Blane Doyle »

Worst: Kate West: The Vanishing Files.
How did people LIKE this game? The puzzles (hidden objects) are too long and tedious to be considered fun, and the story wasn't all that great either. It sucked, plain and simple.

Disappointing: Silent Hill: Homecoming
I'm not usually disappointed with with games I buy, because I am very picky... but this is an exception. It just... wasn't up to par with the rest. Shattered Memories, while different, was good. Same with 4. This wasn't terrible, but I was expecting a MUCH better game. And did anyone else find the "Token Black Guy" a tad insulting and not needed?

lolwtfalicia

#71 Post by lolwtfalicia »

The worst game I ever bought has to be Shadow Hearts. When I first got it, I played for several hours hoping that it would somehow get less suckish. It never really gave a formal introduction to the plot, so I was like, "Whaaat?" for the first half-hour, and then I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to be doing at any given point.

Another game which is bad is Clock Tower 3. It's not bad in the sense that it has poor graphics or plot, but it's bad in the sense that I'm too scared to play it without someone holding my hand. Very interesting and a complex plot (which they take the time to explain, which is a plus), but also kinda creepy. :(

Miyoshi

#72 Post by Miyoshi »

The worst game I ever bought was "Galerians: Ash" for the ps2.
I played it for 3 hours and never played it again, now that I think about it that was 6 years ago (i bought it 2004) i can still remember how I bought that game, i waited a looong time for it. It was very dissapointing, but maybe I give it a try again :lol:

majes
Projects: NaNoRenO Game

#73 Post by majes »

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World wins (loses?) by far. I started following the game's development as soon as they released the first trailer with Misono's song. I was so excited for it for so long and when I bought it, I was rewarded with mediocre voice acting, a hard to like protagonist and poor (in my opinion) treatment of the main characters. I learned quickly that there was no point to putting the old characters in your party since they'd leave soon and your normal party would just be underpowered. And then there was the monster catching system which was basically Pokemon with most of the fun parts removed.

While it was not anywhere close to the worst game I've ever bought, it was certainly the most disappointing.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#74 Post by LVUER »

lolwtfalicia wrote:The worst game I ever bought has to be Shadow Hearts. When I first got it, I played for several hours hoping that it would somehow get less suckish. It never really gave a formal introduction to the plot, so I was like, "Whaaat?" for the first half-hour, and then I couldn't really figure out what I was supposed to be doing at any given point.

Another game which is bad is Clock Tower 3. It's not bad in the sense that it has poor graphics or plot, but it's bad in the sense that I'm too scared to play it without someone holding my hand. Very interesting and a complex plot (which they take the time to explain, which is a plus), but also kinda creepy. :(
Shadow Hearts series are absolutely not for everyone, but they are quite popular. Let's say that they're like Megaten series, cult games. I, for one, am a fan of both series (too bad the serious tone of the story is tainted by their own twisted sense of humor.
And I think Clock Tower 3, while truly disappointing (esp. when you consider the true Clock Tower, I love Clock Tower 1: both PS remake and SNES original). At first I don't play CT3 due to respect the original Clock Tower, but when I consider CT3 as an entirely new/different game, it actually quite enjoyable (and easy... and not scary).
Miyoshi wrote:The worst game I ever bought was "Galerians: Ash" for the ps2.
I played it for 3 hours and never played it again, now that I think about it that was 6 years ago (i bought it 2004) i can still remember how I bought that game, i waited a looong time for it. It was very dissapointing, but maybe I give it a try again :lol:
Yeah, Galerian Ash. I'm quite disappointed by it too (but still finish it anyway). Why do they have to change the genre and mix action element into it? It seems that they underestimate the power of original Galerian and decided to change the game into action one (and add some BL element too ^_^) to boost sales.
majes wrote:Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World wins (loses?) by far. I started following the game's development as soon as they released the first trailer with Misono's song. I was so excited for it for so long and when I bought it, I was rewarded with mediocre voice acting, a hard to like protagonist and poor (in my opinion) treatment of the main characters. I learned quickly that there was no point to putting the old characters in your party since they'd leave soon and your normal party would just be underpowered. And then there was the monster catching system which was basically Pokemon with most of the fun parts removed.

While it was not anywhere close to the worst game I've ever bought, it was certainly the most disappointing.
Are you playing the original JPN version or localized (US) one? The US version is surely disappointing in sound department since they erased the vocal (the OP music) which is one of the main reason I buy Tales series. And of course, just like every other Tales (and Namco games), localized voice acting is TERRIBLE (slightly below average at best, Konami and Square do WAY better job at this)!

And yes, your main party consists just two character, and the rest are pokemon, ummm... I mean the monster you caught (but they could/will be STRONG, perhaps stronger than your two main character). The rest (old party member) are just for nostalgia sake. And of course they are over-power your party, since they have high level (and for the sake of story since New World story takes place after original story finished).

But all in all, yes, New World is quite disappointing -_- Perhaps that's way Namco called this one "a side story/game"
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

RayRayTea
Regular
Projects: The Stolen Diamond Ring (a mystery VN)

#75 Post by RayRayTea »

I'm pretty much like the original poster (not buying games based on hype etc) so I don't have any particularly problematic games to report. In the past I did buy tons of horrible games (my childhood was wasted on C64 games) but they all meld into one gray mass and it's hard to single any one out.

The one that does stand out as a bad game in my collection is probably Touch Detective. The premise is nice (point and click adventure with cheap art) but after playing it for a while it just became obvious it's not very good. The dialogues are pointless, the puzzles arbitrary, the hints system is handled badly etc. Too bad, I'd like to play a good point and click game on the DS.
nekomura games
Princess Battles, a card-based stat raising sim