Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

For the rest of your otaku life.
N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Worst or most disappointing game you ever bought

#46 Post by N0UGHTS »

Tenchu: Stealth Assassins (the first installment) was a fun, simple game. I still liked Final Fantasy VII better. :P

Though I'd choose simple games over convoluted ones any time.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#47 Post by PyTom »

I remember Tenchu, as a friend of mine loved it. I was always a little so-so about it, as it featured the following gameplay sequence.

- Ninja tosses bowl of poison rice onto the ground.

- Guard walks up,.thinking: "The rice gods must be favoring me, as this bowl of rice has appeared here in front of me, in the middle of my patrol route. Despite the fact that I'm on the lookout for ninjas, there''s no way anyone would ever want to harm _me_, and so I will unquestioningly eat this rice. After all, any rice I eat here means that much more for my sickly wife and small children. Itedekimasu!"

- Guard dies horribly after eating poison rice.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#48 Post by N0UGHTS »

Your friend and I must be the kind of people who back then, actually enjoyed stupid enemies in a game. To me, it was actually a sort of macabre slapstick situation. But then I played Halo... Smarter enemies were a lot more fun.

Another game I was disappointed with was Ninety-Nine Nights. ...Yeah, it did have a hot chick with a sword on the cover, but that isn't the only reason I got it! It looked fun... Controlling armies and fighting along with them seemed fun... But instead I got a button masher with really useless AI. And, of course, English dub is either annoying or laughable, but thankfully you can turn voices off. The story was really generic, too... At least the animation is fluid. But the framerate is inconsistent, especially when your screen is flooded by both your men and the enemies. You can't really do anything online with this game; no leadership board, multiplayer mode, there aren't even stupidly fun extras like, "Bikini Inphyy," or something like that. Well, okay, at first, wiping out armies was fun. But that's really the only thing you get to do: mash your buttons and sit back. Really, really repetitive... Nothing really satisfying...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#49 Post by musical74 »

Simple games, generally speaking, are *better* because not as much is expected from them...and if you aren't expecting much from a game, if the game is great, then you think *that was a great catch!*

I've always enjoyed games where youi don't have to monitor a heck of a lot, or if you do it's not a RTS style game....rather annoys me that I SEEM to be doing well and all of a sudden I'm on the verge of losing because I can't be in 3 places at once but the computer has ni problems doing so.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Teluna

#50 Post by Teluna »

I'd say the most disappointing game that I got, I actually got just recently. Shepard's Crossing for the PS2. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Shepard's Crossing? The hell is that?"

Well, in this case it was a game I'd never heard of before in the 10 dollars or less bin at my local Best Buy (and trust me when I say that there are very few games that I haven't heard of). In most cases, it's easy for me to decipher what is going to possibly be a good game, and what is just plain going to suck. But when you look at the cover art, and the back of the box to the game, it actually didn't look half bad - a strange looking Harvest Moon clone with some turn based combat thrown into the mix. So, I decided to pick it up.

Here's the cover art, by the way:
shepherds--article_image.jpg
Doesn't look bad, right? It actually looks kind of peaceful, just like I imagined the overall flow of the game would probably be. So I pick it up, pop it in, and sit through the intro - and I was pleasantly surprised. The music was pleasant and soothing, and the game was complimented by an equally simplistic anime style that was also pleasing to the eyes. Mostly still images, but whatever, it was obvious that the game had a small budget, so it was easily forgivable. I got to the main menu, and the presentational style is still consistent and relaxing, so I said out loud to my friend, "Hey, man! This might actually be a good game, after all!"

Opening -> http://ps2.ign.com/dor/objects/14263575 ... ening.html

Wrong. In fact, a millennium couldn't have prepared me for just how completely and utterly wrong I was. From the moment the game started - CHAOS. COMPLETE AND TOTAL CHAOS. The game just throws you in without telling you hardly anything at all. In certain cases, this would be alright, but in Shepard's Crossing, IT ISN'T ALRIGHT. The game automatically progresses a day with the press of a button (the L1 button, to be specific) and the game moves ahead three days within seconds. This is not an exaggeration. The game literally moves ahead three whole game days and gives you a sickle to cut grass. Then it tells you that marmots (ferrets) make babies and that you can trade their meat for cabbage which can then be traded for a dog. Wut.

But seriously, this madness just continued for hours, and my friend and I were screaming various obscenities and strange proclaimations at each other. "WHY DO I HAVE TO KILL MY MARMOT FOR SOME CABBAGE?!" was the favorite topic.

Starting the Farm (GOOD. LUCK.) - http://ps2.ign.com/dor/objects/14263575 ... _farm.html

Anyway, don't buy this game, unless you love to make fun of bad video games with your friends, otherwise this game is an exercise in masochism. The only way to win this game, is to turn it off.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#51 Post by LVUER »

PyTom wrote:I remember Tenchu, as a friend of mine loved it. I was always a little so-so about it, as it featured the following gameplay sequence.

- Ninja tosses bowl of poison rice onto the ground.

- Guard walks up,.thinking: "The rice gods must be favoring me, as this bowl of rice has appeared here in front of me, in the middle of my patrol route. Despite the fact that I'm on the lookout for ninjas, there''s no way anyone would ever want to harm _me_, and so I will unquestioningly eat this rice. After all, any rice I eat here means that much more for my sickly wife and small children. Itedekimasu!"

- Guard dies horribly after eating poison rice.
Same as Metal Gear Solid (especially first Solid/PSX).
In the middle of nowhere, Alaskan Nuclear Base where there should be no one around except you and your friends.
Liquid: All right, listen guys!
Liquid seems restless and re-brief all Gnome Soldiers.
Liquid one tough guys has managed to infiltrate this compound. This guy can speak more than 6 languages, master any martial arts you know, can operate any weapons you know, able to hold against an army on his own with only a knife, and have managed to destroy 3 stories high standing-tank (AKA Metal Gear) on his own, multiple times too. don't forget that he has managed to kill Big Boss and Gray Fox, guys who could sweep floor with your dead body (with both of their hands tied on their back). Careful and keep your eyes open. If you see him, don't be a hero and call for backup!
You: OK Boss!
Several times later, in the middle of heliport.
You: Brrrr... it's freezing.
???: Knock knock knock
You: Huh! What's that sound?
You: Who's there?
You: Well, very suspicious. Since there's only me, my friends, and that dangerous guy in this middle of nowhere. Who could that be?
You: Oh well, I'll just check it out.
<You know the rest, you either safe or dead depending on Solid's mood at that time>
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Ba'al

#52 Post by Ba'al »

-
Last edited by Ba'al on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#53 Post by Jake »

LVUER wrote: You: Well, very suspicious. Since there's only me, my friends, and that dangerous guy in this middle of nowhere. Who could that be?
You: Oh well, I'll just check it out.
This still isn't so awesome as the odd encounter in Deus Ex. You'd sneak up to the edge of a vent exiting into a room with three guards, and empty your machine gun into one of them through the vent, killing him. His mates would watch his lifeless body drop to the ground, splats of blood everywhere, exclaim things like "What was that?!" or "Where is he?!" and run around in a panic looking for you, but of course you'd retreated back to a safe distance and they couldn't find you.

So after a minute or so has passed one of them shrugs, says "Huh. Must have been the wind" and steps over his comrade's body as he returns to his original post...

(Of course, Deus Ex was the complete opposite of disappointing. :3)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Ba'al

#54 Post by Ba'al »

-
Last edited by Ba'al on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#55 Post by musical74 »

Along those lines...

Original Metal Gear for the NES...you are *wearing* cardboard, shoot at someone with a siliencer...other guards' train of thought?

"Gee, one of my friends just got killed by that cardboard. Oh well, I'll just keep moving normally because that won't happen to me. It's clear that there's no one under the cardboard, it was just a freak accident." (BTW, I really like Metal Gear, it's just funny how the cardboard makes the enemies totally stupid)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Fang-tan
Regular

#56 Post by Fang-tan »

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

The trailer looked so badass, even though it was $70 I had my father buy it for me. What do I get? The animu removed from already lifeless and poor graphics, bad voice acting and ridiculously overpowered enemies. Maybe the game isn't as bad as I thought and I was expecting too much from playing Tales of Vesperia (<-- godly). when I finish that, oh god no, maybe I'll touch The Last Hope again.

Maybe.

If the ero-scenes are left in.

Maybe.
"I've heard that villains who go soft and then crazy are pretty popular these days, right?
Even sooo, I've studied a lot of manga, anime and galge that have been popular, you seeee?" - Beatrice, Umineko no Naku Koro ni

Loli Salad~ Music, Doujin, Touhou, Umineko and Anime
(previously I was Hashihime~)

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#57 Post by tigerkidde »

Worst game (this is hard, but...)

Exile 2 for the Turbo Duo. A side-scrolling action/RPG desert themed. At max level with the best equipment with a character having the highest defense, you can be killed in the last stage by a regular enemy in a literal 2~3 seconds. Enemies may sometimes be walking off the screen, strike off the screen, and despite not being near you, you get hit. And when you get hit, you don't have more than a quarter second of immunity before the same attack hits you two more times and thus you die. The rest of the game was fairly balanced before then and as a result, remains one of my unbeaten Turbo Duo games.

Most disappointing?

The XBox 360's Phantasy Star Universe's expansion Ambition of the Illuminus. Before information was widely prevalent, this is a downloadable, non-refundable expansion to PSU of which Sega's website indicates contains all the Episode 2 online missions in offline format with cutscenes, voice acting, more costumes, more features, and a host of online features (which I didn't plan on ever using). Am I excited? Yes! What was not communicated in this excitement (and probably not a complaint of the XBox crowd) was that the XBox360 specifically did not allow you to play the expansion offline, did not have the same cutscenes, and did not have voice acting. It only unlocked the new online content which required the monthly subscription and that's not at all what I bought this expansion for. (It wasn't in the download description at the time either). And to get a subscrption, you simply accept in XBox Live's Marketplace, but to unsubscribe, you had to call Microsoft, go through the menus, unsubscribe, give the last four digits of the credit card the subscrption was under, and have the cardholder verify they are who they say they are... to quit.

Do I miss my character(s) I made? Yes. Very much so.

Other disappointing games : The Movies, RPGMaker 3 (PS2), Rival Schools (non-JP versions neutered), Generations of Chaos (PSP, but 95% due to horrible loading times and 5% due to poor text localization).

I may reget Unlimited SaGa, but do not recommend it to most.

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#58 Post by blankd »

Worst: Unlimited Saga, you kinda just get dumped in there with no vague telling of what you can/can't do. Also the onscreen navigation was LOLWHUT? I normally would have consulted the instruction manual but it decided not to have been printed right.

Disappointing: FF 1(DS), 3(DS), 7(PSX), 8(PSX), 10(PS2) and 12(PS2). They were all very pretty (for their times respectively) and HIGHLY recommended/praised as the epitomes of RPGs, and...I'm sorry but in my opinion they really don't deserve that title. Yes they all had nice beginnings but they all ended up going rapidly downhill after that, either by the flow of the story, how silly their world history was and/or how annoying/disconnected their main cast was.

this_barb
Regular

#59 Post by this_barb »

Hellgate London. It was total crap.

BleachD

#60 Post by BleachD »

Spiderman 3 for the wii, nuff' said