Most precious game in your collection?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Sin
Veteran

Most precious game in your collection?

#1 Post by Sin »

As a counterweight to the somewhat sad worst game thread this thread is about the favourite games of your collection. It could be a game that you can't put down, a rare game or the one game you would bring on a deserted island.
I don't want to see a top 10 list of your all time favourites. Let's try to keep it to one or two games and games you actually own.

I think the rarest game in my collection is Legend of Zelda: Collectors edition for the Game cube. It's a disc with a demo of Wind waker and full versions of Zelda 1 & 2, Ocarina of time and Majora's mask on it. I'm not sure how many copies there are but it was a limited release and never sold in stores.

My most precious game is Ico. Besides being one of my all time favourite games it's the original release (not the re-release), with the prettier eu/jap boxart and post cards included. I don't love many games, but I love Ico.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Most precious game in your collection?

#2 Post by LVUER »

About time, just when I think to post something like this (inspired by your post).

My most favorite game is definitely Virtual On Cyber Troopers Operation Moongate for PC. I found it in a little shop in a forgotten corner of a small almost shut-down mall. The best buy I ever had in my life (at least until now).

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#3 Post by luminarious »

Planescape: Torment, the text-heaviest RPG I've ever played. It is said to have about 300000 lines of dialogue. Story, much like the universe it takes place in, is dark. Not hopelessly dark though, but merely gritty and atmospheric. Wise-cracking skulls, death-worshippers, cursed men, crazy men, a fallen angel, a chaste succubus and the like. It has humour to balance the pscychologically harder aspects of playing a character that cannot die, instead loosing his memories and beginning anew..

Truly a masterpiece! After playing that, I essentially gave up playing games for a few years, as there wasn't anything available with similar depth.. :)

renkenjutsu
Regular

#4 Post by renkenjutsu »

I agree with luminarious! Planescape: Torment for the win! Nothing I've played so far can beat the epic feel of the game, as well as the cast of unique characters. How about a betraying angel? Or a fiend of the lower planes that helps you by giving you information and other cool stuff? Or even a mechanical cube that develops feelings? (bonus character, hard to get, but more insight and quality game time) Ahhh.... a work of art! (And Mort is simply the coolest player character ever! His taunts are amazing in disrupting spellcasters.)
Currently working on:
Kensai : On hold till Masters is done. Grrrrr...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

It's always so hard for me to pick only one or two favourite games... I can name quite a few that mean a lot to me and the ones I'll pick today might be different from tomorrow. As a general rule, I consider "best game" one I've throughly enjoyed the first time, but also found myself playing again multiple times afterwards, from beginning to end. Among these :
- Chrono Trigger : my favourite RPG to date. It's hard to describe why... the story is a bit cliché and the characters aren't all extremely original... but it all works. Nothing seems out of place. When it comes to the gameplay, I particularly liked the visible and avoidable encounters (very popular in recent RPGs) and the interesting boss fights.
- Freespace 2 : my favourite space sim to date. Again, the story isn't particularly amazing, but there's an ambiance during missions I haven't found anywhere else. Pilots chat about the missions, the orders they're given and there are quite a few memorable quotes in there. As for flying around, it's also very good. All the ships are nice to pilot but also feel different from each other (heavy/light). There is nice selection of weaponry too (swarm missiles are fun :3).

Special mention to Neverwinter Nights which I keep going back to, but mostly because you can play fan-made modules with it. So I don't know if I can say I've played it multiple times... though I have played Shadows of Undrentide two or three times now... and some good modules twice.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#6 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... I'd say Galactic Civilizations 2. It's a turn based 4X strategy game where you're the leader of one of 12 space nations and you have to take over the galaxy. It literally turns my hours into minutes. XD

Also, I really like The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivian. The battle system, even if it looks really simple at first glance, is actually very fun to use. Not only that, but I enjoy running to a massive environment and being knightly. ^_^

Since I'm primarily a Xbox 360 player, I also have to put Eternal Sonata up there too. The only JRPG worth playing on the 360, I think. (I haven't played Lost Odyssey yet though... So maybe that'll cause me to change my mind. :3)

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Cybeat »

I have a few to name:

1. Phantasy Star Online. Too bad I never been online.

2. Virtua Quest (this game is rare!)

3. Super Smash Bros. (all of them)

4. My "Games n' Music" Card for DS, because I download all kinds of homebrew games and NES/SNES/etc emulators.

5. M.U.G.E.N. (Who can't say this is one of the best?)
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Sin
Veteran

#8 Post by Sin »

Sin wrote:I don't want to see a top 10 list of your all time favourites. Let's try to keep it to one or two games and games you actually own.
It's no fun unless you pick your one most favorite game, I think.

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Cybeat »

Oops! I didn't see that. Let me see..............Smash Bros and Phantasy Star Online.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Holy

#10 Post by Holy »

Baten Kaitos Origins, on the Gamecube. It was really the last great gem on the Gamecube, but damn is this game good, so much better then the first one and dare I say it, one of the best RPG's out there easily.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#11 Post by chronoluminaire »

Chrono Trigger is definitely one of the candidates. It broke a lot of the RPG stereotypes, and is just... charming.

There are very few games that I replay once I've finished them, though. Starcaft I used to play multiplayer quite obsessively.

On the visual novels side I might have to say Season of the Sakura. It's stereotyped in one or two ways, but it's so romantic and evocative.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Mikan
Veteran

#12 Post by Mikan »

Shadow of the Colossus

ICO

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#13 Post by papillon »

pride of ownership points go to anything I had to order from japan, for the geek credit! :) Princess Maker may not be a rare game, but how many English-speaking fans own all the games legally? So I'm smug about it. (Although the otome doujin game I own and had to go through much more roundabout channels to get a hold of is definitely rarer.)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#14 Post by rioka »

Sin wrote:I think the rarest game in my collection is Legend of Zelda: Collectors edition for the Game cube. It's a disc with a demo of Wind waker and full versions of Zelda 1 & 2, Ocarina of time and Majora's mask on it. I'm not sure how many copies there are but it was a limited release and never sold in stores.
Hey, I have that too! I thought I'd kill two stones in one and get a copy of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask so I managed to get this. : )

NE-who, if there's one game that I really played to death (aside from Chrono Trigger), that would be Dragon Force on the Saturn. I'll never let go of that game! Neveeeer!

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by musical74 »

favorite eh?

For console games, that's probably going to be Earthbound for the SNES..yeah that graphics are so so and the plot's pretty thin, but it is FUNNY....

For computer? hmmmmmm either Season of the Sakura or Garden Society Kykuit. Why do I like GSK so much? because it's such a breath of fresh air to have a male characters that have personalities -I'm not sure on recent VNs but the vast majority of the older VNS has zilch or almost nothing for male personalities - if they had them at all! And the music's great....as a musician that's important too. :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.