Most precious game in your collection?

For the rest of your otaku life.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Most precious game in your collection?

#106 Post by LVUER »

@Topagae:
When you say Original Secret of Mana, is it Seiken Denstesu 1 or 2? Since I never manage to find Seiken Densetsu 1... Is it Secret of Evermore?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LordShiranai
Regular
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest

#107 Post by LordShiranai »

LVUER wrote:@Topagae:
When you say Original Secret of Mana, is it Seiken Denstesu 1 or 2? Since I never manage to find Seiken Densetsu 1... Is it Secret of Evermore?
"Final Fantasy Adventure" is the US title of Seiken Densetsu 1
"Secret of Mana" is the US title of Seiken Densetsu 2

There were rumors that Seiken Densetsu 3 was going to be released in the US as "Power of Mana," but the game ended up never being released here. :(

"Secret of Evermore" was the first and only game created by Square USA. It was based off of Seiken Densetsu 2's engine, and seems to have been intended to be the spiritual successor to "Secret of Mana" in the US. Most fans don't count it as part of the seiken/mana series, however, for a couple reasons. First, it was seen as inferior to Square's other games at the time, even though it received positive reviews. Second, the game really has no relation to the seiken series (neither plot-wise nor thematically) aside from being based off of Seiken Densetsu 2's engine.
Don't Blame Me. I Voted for Vermin Supreme.

LordShiranai
Regular

#108 Post by LordShiranai »

Considering how many games I've played in the last... 25 or so years... it is hard to come up with a small list for myself. More than likely, however, I'd say that my all time favorites are:

- Final Fantasy 4 (My favorite game of all time... I have every remake of the game they've released...)
- Zelda: A Link to the Past
- Super Metroid
- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
- Lunar 2
- Street Fighter 3: Third Strike (Though admittedly I am not very good at it...)
- Quake 3 Arena
- Neverwinter Nights (Esp. the Hordes of the Underdark Expansion)
- Tales of Symphonia
- Tales of Vesperia (I'm considering importing the PS3 version, I like it so much. Rita > Chuck Norris.)
- World of Warcraft (I've been clean for months, but it is tempting to go back for the next expansion. I swear this game is like an abusive relationship...)
- Tetris

kirakiraxpikapika

#109 Post by kirakiraxpikapika »

Tales of Abyss
Tales of Innocence
Final Fantasy 4(I played the DS and GBA ver. DS is much better XD)
Kingdom Hearts series
Gyakuten Saiban or Ace Attorney Series
King of Fighters series
Bokujou Monogatari: Futago no Mura(Harvest Moon: Twin Villages)
Phantasy Star Universe
Final Fantasy Crisis Core
Final Fantasy VII
and many more i can't remember...

I love many games though i already forgot their names at times...

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#110 Post by LVUER »

@LordShiranai:
I see... thanks, you really clear things up for me. Now I finally know what is Seiken Densetsu 1 (it's been haunted me for more than 15 years)... but I can't see anything about mana anywhere in FFA? It's about crystals (just like the Final Fantasy theme) if I'm not mistaken. Oh well...

I'm lucky enough to have Seiken Densetsu 3 patched, so I've finished the game several times in English ^_^ Hehehehe...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

kirakiraxpikapika

#111 Post by kirakiraxpikapika »

@LVUER: *sorry to interrupt your discussion*

Seiken Densetsu 1 or FF Adventure is more of a spin off to the FF series. Though it was in the mana series, the real predecessor of mana series is Secret of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 2

LordShiranai
Regular

#112 Post by LordShiranai »

I never actually played FFA/Seiken 1 so I don't really know the plot of it, though according to the Wiki article there is some stuff in there about the Mana Tree. The full title of the game in "Japan was Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden," which somewhat implies that the entirety of the mana series could be considered a spin off of Final Fantasy.

I've played Secret of Mana and the fan translation for Seiken Densetsu 3 (and naturally scratched my head in bewilderment that Secret of Evermore was given preference over Seiken 3 for US release). I've tried to play some of the other Mana games they've put out, but could never really get into them for some reason. They just seemed so "off" to me compared to the 16-bit games.

mccurry

#113 Post by mccurry »

Definately SimCity 2000, so many days of my youth spent (and still being spent today) playing it... *reminisces*

FunkyRaspberry
Completed: Mechs vs Dragons (awesome RPGmakerXP game, in a silly fashion)
Projects: Tower Defense (unnamed), Galge (unnamed)

#114 Post by FunkyRaspberry »

as a huge game enthusiast (in all genres).. that's a tricky question... but if I have to select a few, it has to be:

Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Devil May Cry 3 (other ones are good as well, but the third is my favorite)
Klonoa (I got the Wii remake... wish I still had the PS1 original :/ )
Dark Cloud
Quake II
SledStorm (a SSX spin-off that's just over the top awesome)
Crash Bandicoot (only the very first)

and yes, I was born in the PS1/Dreamcast generation.

azions

#115 Post by azions »

H Final Mix+ in Japanese. Experiencing what KH games are supposed to be like makes me happy~

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#116 Post by gekiganwing »

TVTropes has a simple outline of all the Mana games at http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WorldOfMana
LordShiranai wrote:I've played Secret of Mana and the fan translation for Seiken Densetsu 3 (and naturally scratched my head in bewilderment that Secret of Evermore was given preference over Seiken 3 for US release).

In case you ever start thinking, "The RPG scene was so much better fifteen years ago," this is one way to remind you that nostalgia can be blinding.
LordShiranai wrote:I've tried to play some of the other Mana games they've put out, but could never really get into them for some reason. They just seemed so "off" to me compared to the 16-bit games.
Several of the later games in the series fall into the world of discontinuity for people who liked the older titles. If you ask fans where the series died, they might mention the DS games... but very few fans liked the PS2 game Dawn of Mana.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#117 Post by DaFool »

gekiganwing wrote: In case you ever start thinking, "The RPG scene was so much better fifteen years ago," this is one way to remind you that nostalgia can be blinding.
I first started playing games during the PS1 era, hence my nostalgic strings get plucked at any mention of 'Legend of Dragoon' or any low poly / Mode 7 / handdrawn BGs but 3D character RPGs.

http://fourthdimensionalgaming.blogspot ... i-was.html

My vote would have to go with Aphelion. I understand why 16-bit / RPG Maker-like tileset games are very popular, but I personally would be a little bit more ambitious. I'm also pretty sure the current blocky 8/16-bit retro-looking fad will tone down a bit in the coming years as more gamers with buying power to support indies grew up not in the NES/SNES era, but increasingly in the PS1/PS2 era.

brofisto
Regular
Organization: The Neotable

#118 Post by brofisto »

Monster Hunter Freedom Portable 2nd G
All the memories of playing with good friends.
ImageImageImage

suzuki-han

#119 Post by suzuki-han »

Ougon no Taiyou Series and Gyakuten Saiban/Kenji series? Well, at least these are the games I've been truly addicted about even after years.