Best character in a game? NOT THE PROTAGONIST!

For the rest of your otaku life.
Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Best character in a game? NOT THE PROTAGONIST!

#16 Post by Showsni »

Marin in Link's Awakening. Don't hurt gulls, in case one of them is her...

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#17 Post by azureXtwilight »

Shippokren wrote:Ah, Roger from SO3(Star Ocean 3) Poor guy is not love and he just rocks in the game.
And Ziggy from the XenoSaga Series. HE'S NOT LOVED EITHER! :x
Oi...
Oooiii...
If no one loves them, I'll take 'em both XD

Raide
Regular
Projects: Katawa Shoujo

#18 Post by Raide »

My most favorite characters in games, should be:

1. Ovan enigma (.hack//ROOTS and .hack//G.U. series)
Shino: He was big, strong and warm... And he was always sad...
Ovan is an enigmatic and charismatic true leader, a role model, and yet also a true villain.
He loves his sister so much he'd do everything to save her, yet he choose not to trust anyone. Truly an embodiment of despair, and that's what I love from him.
Sweet stuff: Ovan gives everything meaningful to Haseo (the protagonist), took it all away and give the blame to Haseo. Why? So Haseo could grow up stronger and able to end his (Ovan's) existence. Sick.
2. The Boss patriot (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater)
I have always fall in love with faithful character, that believes in something so much they would become martyr no matter what happens. The Boss is a true patriot, and would do anything necessary for her nation;
including to murder her own husband, let her child stolen, and die as a terrorist/traitor to her own commitment.
I wonder how many people in this world who would go this far!

3. Luc child (Suikoden 3)
From the creation of universe, True Runes clashes and bring war, suffering, pain and sadness to every being. He know how that can be stopped, he know he is the only one who can do it, and he chose to took the path as his reason of existence. For that wish he dies with the grandest failure as the most pitiful villain could have.
I like him because actually, he's just a child at heart, having simple wish, and power that later becomes his path to demise.

A true villain is a true hero of his/her own story.

4. Beat flame (The World Ends with You)
If I can say about elements, Beat is really a true embodiment of flame. He is really damn idiot and he acknowledges that fact. He only know how to knock and crash things down, damn consequences later, which is really admirable stuffs in some sort of way. Paired with his sister Rhyme (which is true water) makes one interesting duo.

5. Seifer bully with depth (Kingdom Hearts 2)
At the beginning of KH2, Seifer stands as bully no.48358xxx who seems to hate the protagonist and would do anything to piss him off.
Until the event at Sunset Hill:
Seifer: Destiny... In that case, let's be friends. I don't feel like cooperating with destiny.
Hayner: When have you ever cooperated with anything?
(Seifer turns around and pats his chest with his fist, then leaves)

With his very short screen time, and at that very instance of dialogue, I think I finally understand his character, and honestly I'm very impressed! It's very hard now to find such cool character that aren't bound to single cliched stereotype.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#19 Post by Vatina »

Personally I was bit disappointed with Seifer in KH2. I liked him a lot better in FFVIII... actually he is one of my favourite characters that are not protagonists :P

Raide
Regular

#20 Post by Raide »

Most of NPCs in KH2 is more to a cameo than explorable ones. Even the Disney princesses' portion is still kinda short^^;

I wonder how many cool bully characters out there. A bit OOT... I think Draco Malfoy in canon HP have potential to be one, but still he's as obsessive as ever since book 1.

M12
Veteran

#21 Post by M12 »

Well I won't lie. My choice varies depending on what I've been playing/reading recently. One character I like a lot is Kawana Misaki from ONE - To the Radiant Season. Her arc was very touching 8).

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#22 Post by musical74 »

Two characters that are QUITE funny - and they are with you for most of the game, so you see just how funny they are - would be Nate and Mark from Persona Revelations. Nate's kind of stuck up, and pretty bossy, and Mark is VERY different from the others....but what makes them so memorable...is that they can't stand each other! There are quite a few places where Nate and Mark either A) argue B) one yells at the other or C) a combo of the two. Oh, they have the same end goal...just...can't stand each other for the most part :D
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by N0UGHTS »

...I wonder if I can really add to this thread...

Psychonauts? Anyone know that game? I really liked it, one-a my faves, though unfortunately it didn't sell so well. I like all of the characters, really... So I'll just randomly yell out a name that is not "Razputin."

Dogen Boole! Yeah, yeah... He's loads of fun to mess around with and talk to. It's hilarious how he always gets anxious and stressed out about squirrels. Heh heh... I'd spoil too much if I elaborated any more. ...I like the tin foil hat. :p He's the kid in the red.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Raide
Regular

#24 Post by Raide »

M12 wrote:Well I won't lie. My choice varies depending on what I've been playing/reading recently. One character I like a lot is Kawana Misaki from ONE - To the Radiant Season. Her arc was very touching 8).
Kinda off-topic, but is it really true there's a translation or english patch for the game? *hopeful eyes*

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#25 Post by Vatina »

Raide wrote:
M12 wrote:Well I won't lie. My choice varies depending on what I've been playing/reading recently. One character I like a lot is Kawana Misaki from ONE - To the Radiant Season. Her arc was very touching 8).
Kinda off-topic, but is it really true there's a translation or english patch for the game? *hopeful eyes*
Yeah there is: http://akane.is.moelicious.be/index.htm

You can see a list of more finished translations here, it's a good place to look :)

Kitouski
Projects: Me and My Shadow

#26 Post by Kitouski »

A short list, from all types of games.

1.) Ayu Tsukimiya (Kanon)
2.) Colette (Tales of Symphonia)
3.) Reimu Hakurei (Perfect Cherry Blossom: Touhou)
4.) Yuffie (Final Fantasy 7)
5.) Youhei Sunohara(Clannad)

My favorites change every week depending on what I'm playing xD
Raide wrote:
Funny this game is being mentioned, I'm buying obtaining a copy as we speak. If you ever found yourself a copy, it'll run you about 80$ on average.

http://shii.org/translate/ is also a good place to look for translations, but as stated above my head, yeah, theres a translation for it.
"Hermits have no peer pressure." - Steven Wright

Ramidel
Regular

#27 Post by Ramidel »

Mitsuru, Persona 3. Rawr.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#28 Post by azureXtwilight »

Ahahah, ahem, I dunno why, but I really preffered Naoto in p4 than Mitsuru.
She's more... adorable. XD

Nanie
Regular
Projects: Nanie's Zanie Adventure System [PnP]

#29 Post by Nanie »

Sasami from Tenchi Muyo - For proving that a Jailbait Loli can be 800 years old. Surprise! xD
Make a Nanie's Zanie Adventure Pen and Paper character for the hell of it! I'll send you your overly complex stat sheets! [PM me, I feel like having people play over the net or cool NPCs so SEND!]

HaveAtYePirates2

#30 Post by HaveAtYePirates2 »

I like the guy in that game, I don't remember what it's called, but it's the one where you fight monsters and have a sword? And you can buy stuff with money you get from killing the monsters. And when you rest in an inn your health heals. The guy in it's really cool because he never talks.