VN recommendations, please!

For the rest of your otaku life.
chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

VN recommendations, please!

#1 Post by chocoberrie »

Hello! ^_^

I'm itching to play more visual novels, and I'd really appreciate some recommendations! There are so many out there, and so many groups/studios making them that it's really tough to keep track :lol:

I really like cute, I'm-feeling-warm-fluffy-fuzzies-as-I'm-playing-this kind of visual novels! I really like slice-of-life anime too, if that helps~ (K-On! and Yuru Yuri are my all-time favorites!)

Thanks! :D

Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

Re: VN recommendations, please!

#2 Post by Shagwrath »

I'm a noobie to this all but, Katawa Shoujo is still one of the best ones I've played. I think that's my 'bar' because I can't really think of anything better I've played yet. Play it if you haven't, don't be turned off by the subject matter, thought I feel like I don;t need to say that here as everyone is pretty open-minded.

Edit: Sorry I can't think of more, the only other one worth mentioning I think was Sepia Tears.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

If you're comfortable with a very slight amount of adult content, play Kana: Little Sister. An absolutely wonderful tear jerker with lots of warmth and fluff and love and... well, everything.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

crystalscm
Regular
Completed: Suiyue
Projects: Scales of Fate
itch: tsukimii

#4 Post by crystalscm »

Completed Games
• Nusantara (SweetChiel) | Rama's path is very tear-jerking, this is psychological fantasy, but it does have its romantic moments. If you want a lot of romance, I'd go for Reksa or Mitra
• Heartbaked (Gourmet Visual <minyan>) | Part of NaNoRenO. It has a lot of cute and fluffy moments too!
• Fantasia: Requiem of the Abyss (azureXtwilight) | This is also on the psychological fantasy side, but it's worth reading through the bachelor's best ending.
• Autumn's Journey (Apple Cider) | Very heartwarming story; it also has very cute and fluffy moments in there too.
• Backstage Pass! (sakevisual) | This is commercial, but the romance and the slight slice of life elements make it good.
• Lads in Distress (Wondchimes) | This has romance and some fluff, but if you don't like rushed pacing (NaNo), then this isn't really the game for you.
• Locked Heart (DICE) | If you want fluff, I would play the brothers' route; the butler (Royal) doesn't have all that much fluff nor tons of romance.

Works in Progress
• Syphethia's Discoveries (SyphyChan) | Although commercial, it does revolve around romance, and may invoke a tear or two. It does plan to have some sense of fluffiness, but as far as I know- it's good!
• Caramel Mokaccino (Apple Cider) | If you like Autumn's Journey, this is another one of Apple Cider's games you should definitely check out! It's more on the slice-of-life side
• Heart of Thorns (Ichigo no Kokoro Productions) | This revolves around vampire romance, but it promises some degree of fluff based on the description. If you like (1) Japanese anime [this will be voiced in JP] and (2) romance, go check this out.
• Arena Circus (minyan) | A little on the fantasy side, but it does have romance!
• Beauty and the Brothers (Mama J) | Romance and scandals? This is the game for you! It's a romance and looks promising!

These are all games I really enjoyed, and would recommend to you (all of these games- to some degree or all- hold the genres you enjoy). So, I hope you check them out; all of the threads are here on LemmaSoft!

crystalscm

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#5 Post by chocoberrie »

Shagwrath wrote:I'm a noobie to this all but, Katawa Shoujo is still one of the best ones I've played. I think that's my 'bar' because I can't really think of anything better I've played yet. Play it if you haven't, don't be turned off by the subject matter, thought I feel like I don;t need to say that here as everyone is pretty open-minded.

Edit: Sorry I can't think of more, the only other one worth mentioning I think was Sepia Tears.
Ah, thank you! I have played Katawa Shoujo actually - it's definitely one of my favorites! The story is so heart-wrenching, there were some times I teared up and sniffled a bit haha :'D

I haven't heard of Sepia Tears before, but I went and downloaded it! Thanks for the recommendation! :D
Taleweaver wrote:If you're comfortable with a very slight amount of adult content, play Kana: Little Sister. An absolutely wonderful tear jerker with lots of warmth and fluff and love and... well, everything.
"Very slight" is fine with me! I tried finding this one online, and I just couldn't get the files I downloaded to work. D: I do want to play it though! If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great. :)
crystalscm wrote:These are all games I really enjoyed, and would recommend to you (all of these games- to some degree or all- hold the genres you enjoy). So, I hope you check them out; all of the threads are here on LemmaSoft!
Holy bananas that's a huge list! Thanks a bunch!! :D I'll be sure to check them out!

sociohat
Projects: The Nautch

#6 Post by sociohat »

VA-11 Hall-A! It's been getting a lot of love recently but frankly, it deserves a lot more of it! It's slice-of-life cyberpunk, and it's just a really lovely VN and general.

Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

#7 Post by Shagwrath »

sociohat wrote:VA-11 Hall-A! It's been getting a lot of love recently but frankly, it deserves a lot more of it! It's slice-of-life cyberpunk, and it's just a really lovely VN and general.
Cyberpunk you say? Ok you've convinced me.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

I'm going to steal crystalscm's list idea. Hope you don't mind. cx

Between the Lines - Very cute GxB set in a fantasy world. I was so surprised when I played this about how much I cared for all of the characters! The art's sketchy style takes some getting used to and the story's a little rushed but there's something so pure about the characters.
Diving in Deep - Another GxB! Set in modern times and there's a merman. Some of the bad endings are a little dark, and the epilogues can feel a little rushed, but overall a decent read with some really cute moments. ^_^ Lots of CGs in this one, too!
her tears were my light - This one's GxG and it is actually the cutest freaking game I've ever played. Go play it. Right now. Read the rest of the list first, I mean. But then play it. (The art style combined with the fluffy story just makes it eeeeeeeeee)
Mira's Magical Mishap - This one is also GxG. The overall tone of the whole thing is super lighthearted and there are definitely some 'awww' moments throughout.
Nachtigal - We're back to GxB with this one! Nachtigal is a little different from the other ones in this list. It's vampire romance and soft horror, and I'm going to warn you now, the bad endings live up to their name. They're dark, sad, and depressing. The GOOD ends, on the other hand, are just. oh my gosh they are so cute aaaaaah. If you're willing to risk seeing a dark bad end if you fail, this one's definitely worth a download for those good ends. (The art is PHENOMENAL, by the way, and complements the writing really well. <3 I love Cyanide Tea's stuff so much.)
Prince Caterpillar - This one will be the only BxB on the list. And it's. So. Cute. Go play it. Uhhh, I guess play her tears were my light first because that's what I said. But also this one. It's really fluffy and great.
RE: Prince of Nigeria - Back to GxB. This one is really more comedy/parody than anything else, but it's short, cute, and hilarious, so I would definitely recommend it.
RE: Alistair++ - Another GxB, and this one is also a slice-of-life with an anime art style. ^_^ This one is also a stat-raiser, but if you're not great with those there is a walkthrough available online that can easily be found with a quick search. The protagonist is an online gamer searching for the player who cheated her online, so it's got some really funny moments and also some really cute ones.
Tears of Glass - So much GxB! cx This one is the only unfinished one on the list, but I would definitely say that it's worth a play. It's set in a high school and is very lighthearted and sweet. The guys are all very likable in their own way and have a good mixture of more cliche elements plus something all their own. The interactions between the characters are great, and a lot of the dialogue is very clever.
The Phantom of the Hospital - This one is the only one with love interests of multiple genders - GxG/B. Despite the spooky name, it's really a very lighthearted VN. As the creators phrased it, the game contains "mature jokes said in immature ways." Both routes are great and the characters are an interesting bunch.

Hopefully I've given you a lot of material that you're interested in! ^_^ If you play any of these, I would really like it if you would send me a PM telling me what you thought. I love to talk about my favorite VNs with other people, even if others don't like them as much as I did.

Onigirice

#9 Post by Onigirice »

I get those feelings from playing these games :

Magical Otoge Ciel
(P)lanets : The Life of Normalcy has Ended
Destiny Voyage
Deep Voyage
Fool’s Helper
Halloween Otome
Grinning Heart 2 –The Voyage
Grinning Heart –The Meeting
How To Take Off Your Mask
Joanne’s Crush
Magical Otoge Anholly
Ristorante Amore
Sour Prince
Summer Paradise
Summer Found Me
Unplanned Armour
Very Splendid Otome Game
^GXB

Cute, Light, Fluffy Project < maybe, I forgot how the story but the title said so XD

Marmoon

#10 Post by Marmoon »

Hello,

I second Alistair, and here are a few others:

Ristorante Amore
Cupid
Juniper's Knot

Let me know if you end up playing any of them! :)

-Marmoon

KingDerabs

#11 Post by KingDerabs »

Anime:

Pet of Sakurasou
Waiting in the Summer
Ouran High School Host Club

are some I think you'll enjoy.

Joingy
Last edited by KingDerabs on Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anyubel
Regular
Projects: Project Miasma
Deviantart: AnyuBel

#12 Post by Anyubel »

I'm not sure if this is limited to English VNs, but I don't think anyone recommended Amnesia: Memories, and I really think that one is on point with the fuzzy feels. It's often on sale on steam too. The other ones that were listed were also on point when giving me feels, so hopefully you get the chance to try those out.

Also I think Heartstring Bugs (an English VN) gave them feels pretty well, even though it's more on the dating sim side than a typical VN. I liked certain parts of the soundtrack especially.

barefootchuck39
Deviantart: barefootchuck

#13 Post by barefootchuck39 »

Eternal Senia ( free on steam): more of an rpg than vn but its kinda aww. (Though not a slice of life)

Fruit of Grisaia's side story: Grisaia no yuukan. A short VN (being a side story). More random funny jokes than cute girls doing cute things... More like cute girls doing random things that make you laugh...

Anime wise, you might like Yama no Musume (encouragement of the climb, slice of life, a bit boring for me though).

ShirouFujimura
IRC Nick: Shirou Fujimura

#14 Post by ShirouFujimura »

ACE Academy! ACE Academy for the win!

polaroidcaesar
Projects: To Our Noble End

#15 Post by polaroidcaesar »

This might not be entirely to your preference, but you should give The House in Fata Morgana a try. Imo it's the best VN on Steam other than the big ones like Steins;Gate, Umineko, Danganronpa, Zero Escape, etc. It's a really beautiful and oftentimes tragic love story (there are cute moments as well) with great art and a fantastic soundtrack.