Stepmania!

For the rest of your otaku life.
Otaku Dash
Veteran

Stepmania!

#1 Post by Otaku Dash »

Ok.... i found about this a while ago.... DDR fans will love this.... :D

http://www.stepmania.com

This is actually like DDR~but with your keyboard keys. I haven't been able to try it... but i heard that is hella fun.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

RedSlash
Veteran

#2 Post by RedSlash »

Haha! Awesome! Downloading now even though I got better things to do.

Megaman Z

#3 Post by Megaman Z »

Don't have enough space to extract all 1000+ simfiles I have for it... or the countless Beatmania files I have either... (I have 1.30GB free space left at time of posting :( )

Megaman Z

#4 Post by Megaman Z »

Sorry for double-posting (not a registered user) but If you want to use a PS2-compatable Dance pad with stepmania, look for a PS2>USB convertor, buy a dance pad for the PS2 (try and get a metal one, it'll last a LOT longer if you play as much as I [used] to!), plug the cords into the correct slots, and set the controller up in the config keys screen under options. It should work then. Of course, you can be really cheap and set your keyboard up to a config similar to ASDF (left, down, up, and right, respectively). cheap, but effective for learning the rhythms!

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#5 Post by Otaku Dash »

RedSlash wrote:Haha! Awesome! Downloading now even though I got better things to do.
Btw... if anybody wants Musics for stepmania i recomend:

http://www.turtleddr.com -> for DDR songs
http://www.bemanistyle.com -> not registered songs but good ones

Megaman Z -> I go for the keyboard... but since i'm new to this i get "Boo" on two key combinations sometimes. :P
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#6 Post by Megaman Z »

Otaku Dash wrote:Megaman Z -> I go for the keyboard... but since i'm new to this i get "Boo" on two key combinations sometimes.
yeah. same here. usually this happens on "Ω" (from DDREI Tournamix V) on heavy. I hate songs that have a 10-foot standard, 10-foot heavy, and a 12-foot ONI/CHALLENGE. Half of the reason I get those boos (AND MISSES!) is because of all the stops in it and the 700-BPM note barrage. "MAX. (period)" isn't much easier, either, as our JP friends know well. (600-BPM quarter note RUN)
~Kitsune Zeta

Jerails
Veteran

#7 Post by Jerails »

...Moby...Thousand...I dunno...Just had to throw that in.
It's been a while, folks!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#8 Post by Taleweaver »

As I'm a 5'11, 320 lb guy, my best take on StepMania is 6-foot-songs :)
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Megaman Z »

Taleweaver wrote:As I'm a 5'11, 320 lb guy, my best take on StepMania is 6-foot-songs
not to brag (as a lot of people have said they've done this), but I've cleared the RED SONG Sakura on heavy (and hit that troublesome "slow" note, too) on pad. (it's on DDREXTREME ARCADE and JP console version, but not on the US console version, which -really- ticked off a lot of fans.) (just for reference, red songs are either 10-footers [MAX series (MAXIMIZER excluded); SAKURA, "Paranoia Survivor" duo, etc.] or the second extra stage [CANDY*, KAKUMEI, "Dance Dance Revolution" (the song), and -possibly- MAXIMIZER (waiting for confirmation on this DDREXTREME US exclusive song as an extra stage2)]. the only exeption was BAG, which was a 10-footer that was not in red on DDREXTREME)
however, I'm not gonna be able to set any more personal records until I either A) get my metal dance pad fixed (broken plexiglass on two panels!) or B) get a new dance pad entirely (which will allow me to use the O button as well. [stupid wiring problem!]).
(i'm around six feet tall too, but only about 120 lb. figures I'd be quick on my feet! :lol: )
~Kitsune Zeta

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Megaman Z »

From Bemanistyle.com, as I (try) to download a song...
Sorry, you are either not logged in or your account is not yet active.
this translates as to mean you need an account on their (non-existant*) forums.

*by non-existant, I mean they have no boards to post topics on...

[EDIT: IGNORE THE WORD "NON-EXISTANT". THERE ARE FORUMS THERE. THANK YOU]
~Kitsune Zeta

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Megaman Z »

(anyone that already knew about this... shut up!)

interesting trivia: ITG uses the Stepmania engine. this leads to a few things in stepmania, some of which has only recently been discovered by users and fans.

A) EX courses (lack of better name): modifiers will change DURING a song in a course. someone PLEASE post the syntax if you can figure it out. ( I swear it was #MODS:Start=XXX.xxx:LEN=XXX.xxx:MODS=<modifiers with sub-modifiers [see below]>; )

[edit: someone gave me a little bit of a simpler syntax for it. here it is:]
blueshirt wrote:Here's how ITG does it (works in SM, thanks devs!):

#COURSE:Course Name
#METER:REGULAR:3;
#METER:DIFFICULT:7;

#MODS:
TIME=2.50:END=20.44:MODS=20% Wave, 30% Hidden:
TIME=20.44:END=40.39:MODS=10% Tornado, 20% Tipsy:
TIME=40.39:END=84.22:MODS=Space, 40% Dizzy:
TIME=84.22:END=112.16:MODS=10% Tornado, 40% Tipsy:

#SONG:Name of First Song Here:Medium:;

#MODS:
TIME=2.50:END=20.44:MODS=20% Wave, 30% Hidden:
TIME=20.44:END=40.39:MODS=10% Tornado, 20% Tipsy:
TIME=40.39:END=84.22:MODS=Space, 40% Dizzy:
TIME=84.22:END=112.16:MODS=10% Tornado, 40% Tipsy:

#SONG:Name of Second Song Here:Hard:;

---

This shows up as a NON-STOP course in Stepmania. If you want it to be an ONI-type course you need to add:

#LIVES:number of lives here;
B) sub-modifiers: these modify a modifier. the basic one supported by almost all mods is the strength modifier (??%).

C) Multi-select mods <newly discovered>: this is a theme setting. go to the part of the theme that defines the mod menu and add "Multiselect" to the line that defines the number of choices on that row.

also, SM may ask for one or two DLL files you don't have. a google search will solve that.
~Kitsune Zeta

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Megaman Z »

well, lookie what I'm a part of...

SMMIX1 is to be a 100% legal stepmania mix, hopefully including a theme and (possibly) [some] noteskin. I am currently working doubles stepcharts for the songs.

also, one of the features requested for SM4 is a story mode. what I hope this becomes is something a bit more focused than ren'py but with a lot of the "story-telling" factor in it. it's mentioned in the SM4 suggestions thread as well as in the thread suggesting something similar to "Mush mode" (from DDR Mario Mix) [I'm the one who indirectly suggested a story mode to go along with the mush mode if it gets implemented]. PyTom, there is a small chance I may ask your opinion as far as the story mode and possible ways to actually implement it, since I doubt we want to perfectly mimic DDRMM.
~Kitsune Zeta

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

I have no idea about stepmania, but I think it would not be impossible that Ren'Py could be combined with pydance to implement some sort of story mode.

Not that I'd want to be the one to do the work, apart from perhaps adding some hooks into Ren'Py.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Chuck
Regular

#14 Post by Chuck »

Interesting thought. Ren'ai dancing, perfect for the waltzing at the school dance. ... or not. But I've played ddr/step mania. I can't even get past Max 300 on heavy T_T

5'8 150lbs just for the record n_n
~Chuck

Quin
Regular

#15 Post by Quin »

PyTom wrote:I have no idea about stepmania, but I think it would not be impossible that Ren'Py could be combined with pydance to implement some sort of story mode.
Oh. My. Goodness.

I'm both horrified and fascinated by the thought. It seems like the two are diametrically opposed -- perspiring like mad for a minute and 45 seconds, then settling down for a nice leisurely read of the events that transpire, over and over again.

But then again, there's Tokimeki Memorial 2 Substories: Dancing Summer Vacation... which isn't all that different. (I haven't played it all the way through, since my Japanese isn't strong enough.) Of course, that game may only exist because Konami wanted to do cross-promotion between their TokiMemo line and their DDR line... ^_^