Anime due for a remake

For the rest of your otaku life.
Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Anime due for a remake

#1 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'm sure we've all come across that one anime series that's absolutely excellent in some areas but lacking in others; or that one series that had so much potential, but completely wasted it, yet it's not the plot or premise itself that's a waste, it's the execution. What anime series would you love to see remade? This is a purely theoretical topic, of course; it could be an anime released only a few months ago.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

Re: Anime due for a remake

#2 Post by SexBomb »

I would absolutely love to see Trigun updated to fit current quality animation standards. It would be pretty damn gorgeous... plus it would be nice to see it draw more from the original manga. Also gotta say GetBackers, but mostly because it's nostalgic for me. I would love to see it re-kindled with new arcs, some of the characters that never made it into the anime, and stunning effects, backgrounds, and animation. Neither of these were baaaad... in fact, I'd argue both are quite good, and still hold up well. But, well, there's always room for improvement!

Fun topic... you should share some of your picks, too!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'd love to see GTO redone, closer to the manga and updated visuals.

On the same thought though, sometimes new visuals are counter-productive. For example, Initial D seasons 1-4 got better each season (if you can call season 3 a season...).
Then along comes season 5.
I must say, while the visuals are gorgeous, the difference was like whiplash and really threw me off at first.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#4 Post by Evy »

Hoshin Engi--

wait, what am I saying. There was no Hoshin Engi anime in the first place... :roll:

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#5 Post by Caveat Lector »

Fun topic... you should share some of your picks, too!
Me? Eh, I'd probably choose Umineko. But the thing is, you first need the original for the remake. And since the original Umineko anime did not happen, that means no remake, sorry! :wink:

Outside of that? This may be a controversial pick, but bear with me here: Ookami Kakushi. On the one hand, yes, it is not a good anime, and most 07 fans familiar only with the anime would rather prefer to pretend that little mishap didn't happen, perhaps moreso than Umineko's anime--fans understood Umineko at least came from a competent source material, but because the OK VN was not translated into English, the anime was the closest thing to the story they ever got. Which...ouch.

But on the other hand (guilty pleasures aside), when you really step back, strip away the execution, and look at the basic plot points, you have the potential for a truly compelling series that could have developed its characters and conflict so much better. And the original Visual Novel (from what I can read of it) DID do it better, as did its two manga adaptations (which are only available from Amazon.jp, and only in Japanese). That said, it isn't 07's best work, and the story does have its share of flaws (I also have some problems with it as a multi-choice VN with enforced playing order and the way in which this is executed, but that's another issue neither here nor there). If the OK anime were to be remade and given to a more competent director and studio, could a truly amazing anime be made? No. But could it at least create a compelling story in its own right? Yes, absolutely.

But again, you need the original for the remake, and the original did not happen. We all just collectively hallucinated both those series, right? :wink:
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#6 Post by thebackup »

I'd love to see the first three seasons of Working!! get a remake. I'm a bit of a fan of the series, having watched up to season 4 (though it has completely different characters than the first three). A very cute and funny slice-of-life series, it kind of what inspired my VN projects.

However, what bothered me most about the series is there's this certain character who doesn't get enough screentime. Yes, I'm talking about Maya Matsumoto.
Sure, she tends to distance herself from the other characters and their antics because she perceives them as "weird" and tries to be "normal". You would see her mostly as background filler, and very rarely hearing her speak - the only time she had speaking roles is on the very last episode of each season. I mean, really? I feel like she's just there, just for the sake to have her there. It's almost as if she has no real purpose in the series, well maybe except act as a foil to the other characters. And even if she tries to distance herself from the other characters, I felt that the other characters are ignoring her most of the time.
Despite that, I consider her one of my favorite anime characters, even if you learn so little about her. They really need to develop her some more - throughout the series, they introduce new characters and develop them, but she's largely ignored. In other words, I'd love to see a remake of the first three seasons of Working!!, giving her more screentime and interaction. I'd love to learn more about her!

waltermack
Projects: Alice in Neverland, Heart Fragment

#7 Post by waltermack »

I'd really like a Ruroni Kenshin remake